Telluria/Vela nerfed! Ok, where do we go from here? Part 1 (Tanks)

2nd one is way more aggressive and is likely going to punish average boards more then the first draft.

At this point, I’m leaving Tell in as tank just to spite SG.

1 Like

I tried Kunchen in place of Telluria for 5 attacking raids. His slow mana speed is a liability. I’m going to level Frigg and LoTL to see if either is better.

@Ham88 I was beating GTV consistently before nerf with 2-1-1-1 lineup. It really wasn’t hard. Only time I would have issues were if I got bad boards and could recover. Now, Telluria is destroyed if I have bad boards. She doesn’t provide the same coverage that she used to to help you recover from any bad situation or boards.

2 Likes

Day 1 - Interesting 1st day post-nerf for Telluria and Vela. I did 22 attacking raids and I was attacked 12 times. All raids were at the Diamond level between 4200 - 4600 cups. I went 17-5 attacking and 6-6 defending (all using Telluria as tank). My performance definitely went down and all battles dragged on until near time limit. Typically, I go 18-2 on my attacking raids and 20-4 on a bad day. My raid defense typically would win around 75% of the time.

First thing I notices was there were far fewer GTV combinations than normal, but still the most prevalent of all tanks I faced. The toughest tanks I faced were Mitsuko, Kunchen, Sartana and BK. Following are the tanks I faced and the number of times I faced them:

• Telluria - 7x
  • Kunchen - 4x
  • Sartana - 3x
  • Boril - 3x
  • Vela - 2x
  • Clarissa - 2x
  • Mitsuko - 2x
  • Ranvir - 1x
  • Richard - 1x
  • Fenrir - 1x
  • Heimdall - 1x
  • Justice - 1x
  • Azlar - 1x
  • BK - 1x
  • Atmos - 1x
  • Cyprian - 1x
  • Alfrike - 1x
  • Wilber - 1x

I’ll update daily over the next week to see how things look as new lineups start to settle out.

Edit - The day is not done yet! I was attacked 5 more times since my last post. I went 7-1 with my sole lose to a Telluria-tank team. Overall, 13-7 defending (better than the 50% as previously stated). The tanks I saw were

• Telluria - 1x
  • Vela - 1x
  • Sif - 1x
  • Boril - 2x
  • Heimdall - 3x

2hrs still left in the day!

2 Likes

I’ve done a couple similar in this thread: Telluria nerfed, how effective it was?

1 Like

I should track how many TV and non-TV rosters I saw. I re-rolled when I faced teams over 4600 cups. I did not trusts my attacking team performance with a Telluria as my tank. I’m still playing around with my supporting team based on the nerf as well as the buff to 30 other heros. :hatched_chick:

first, thanks for this meaningful and constructive thread @JAWS1.

Unfortunately, I can’t say much about it because I don’t even own many of the tanks mentioned here. I’ve been fighting for ages with the following defense:

it has never been necessary for me to make major changes to it, except for Clarissa, who was new this year and i also don‘t have that much, to change to some other tank. To be in the top 100 was or is not my goal. But it lets me easily stay in the diamond arena. my trophies are usually between 2750 and 2550. am extremely rarely below that.

As for the war, in my alliance we play according to the Top Tanks system. that means, everyone makes the best of what they have. we are not a top alliance, but our opponents often use same tank colors. nevertheless they struggle to win, often it only makes a few points about victory or defeat

And this was our last war:

Yeah, they won, but it was hard for them. Maybe the Top Tank system is a good solution to smaller alliances?

3 Likes

This one seems better to me but ofc theory is just theory. I’d be curious to know how each one performs.

I can see the logic too with putting Ursena in front of Fenrir, so she drains enemies to around half-HP and then Fenrir might have a chance to do a finishing hit

2 Likes

I would appreciate your advice in which direction should I go with this roster if I would strip emblems from telly and vela. I would prefer to stick to a green tank (unfortunately no frigg).

From recent raiding, I feel that offensively she’s just not as useful now. Pre-nerf, I would often use her if I thought I needed more sustainability but her reduced capacity in that regard along with woeful damage just isn’t worth the spot on my attacking team. On defense, I can’t say I’ve seen a huge difference in her ability to retain cups yet but it’s early days and will get a clearer picture as time progresses.

One thing I have definitely noticed when raiding is that her appearance rate has diminished and we’re not yet 48h post update. Whether that is a result of her nerf or the change to emblems remains to be seen but it has to be a positive sign moving forward.

1 Like

@Ysabella I love your lineup and use of Guinevere as tank. Even though I have not feared her in raids, the lvl 29 troops supporting her must make her near impossible to “one-shot” in wars. The change to Telluria and Vela has caused subtle changes to battles where they are used. Their impact to the battle has been reduced. Thus, forcing most battles to drag out longer as your supporting heros (and luck with boards) must ultimately decide the outcome.

While I still see a large number of folks still using TV and even GTV in their defense, I am starting to see more variety as I showed in my post last night. Will we see that in the Top 100 players and alliances? Time will tell. In the war my alliance just finished, Nature/Green was the element of choice for tanks by our opponents. I was surprised by the number of Frigg and Heimdall tanks that were used. Telluria was only used in about 30% of the teams.

For me, I’ll keep testing. My Telluria is as high as I’ll take him for now at +18. I’ll see what the data says as to whether to move off him or not, and to which hero to move to. Once again, time will tell. :wink:

1 Like

i would point one little appreciation: the number of tellurias we are facing in diamond postnerf depends on at least two factors; one of wich is the one addressed in this topic (people benching the hero), but the other i can see being more weighted, Are the defenses featuring telluria or TV or GTV losing cups and dissapearing of our radar? I think probably is the case as my defense has lost near 200 cups and i’m doing raids, not stalling.
My defense is pretty weak as I’m playing for 14 or 15 months now(poseidon+10 freya+3 telluria+7 vela+6 marjana+7)and my troops are sixteenth, but i’m at platinum right now while before i was like 2500-2600 cups range.
Im only pointing that maybe tellurias defenses just went down, not dissapeared by benching.
I hope you understand my speech, english is not my strength and i’m kinda dazzy today.
happy gaming!

6 Likes

@Jronny Of the heros you currently have, Frigg is the toughest. Frigg special is based upon the attacker’s tiles. If there are a lot of Green tiles, her attack will be brutal! And at fast mana, it will be hard for your opponent to clear the Green tiles from the board before being charged again. Very nice. The defense down to the opponent is an added plus! Every time I faced Frigg has been a challenge with the board dictating winning or losing.

I have Frigg as well and I’ll level her once I finish Evelyn. Once you put emblems on her, she may be a Top 5 tank. That’s still to be determined.

Agreed @Harlikwen! I’m going to track on this thread my daily results of raids post-nerf for the next week to see if I see a significant difference. I agree that I’m seeing less Telluria tanks. I wish I had kept track of “all” tanks I saw even those I skipped. I feel like the 4700+ teams still seemed to be mostly Telluria tanks, but I didn’t track that info.

@Boguebob That is a good point! I did not take that into consideration. As I said on my last post, I feel like the 4700+ cup teams were still mostly Telluria tanks. But as you pointed out, they typically have max-level troops supporting them, +30. Pre-nerf, the GTV combo was not hard to beat especially if the supporting troops were lower than lvl 23. Post-nerf, it is even easier to defeat GTV. I’m sure I’m not the only one seeing this. It is highly possible that a number of these teams have dropped out of Diamond level. It would be interesting to know if there is a way to determine that.

Day 2 Raids - Observations are

• There are still a lot of Telluria tanks in use!
  • My raid attacks are back to a normal win rate for me - 100%.
  • Defense is definitely not holding up to pre-nerf standards.
  • Frigg was not in any raid today. Thus, she is either still rare amongst player’s rosters or she has not been leveled yet by those who do have her (like me).

I went 16-0 attacking and 17-17 defending in my raids today (still 3 hrs before the day is done). I ran into twice as many Telluria tanks today than yesterday, but most of the Telluria tanks were +18 or higher on the talent grid. I did see a lot of different tanks. Some of which I did not expect to see. Of the 50 raids (attacking and defending), 32 of them were non-Telluria tanks. Here is the list of tanks I ran into:

• Telluria - 17x
  • Kingston - 4x
  • Magni - 4x
  • Aegir - 3x
  • Elena - 3x
  • Azlar - 2x
  • Kiril - 2x
  • Evelyn - 2x
  • Jean-Francois - 2x
  • Malosi - 2x
  • Atmos - 1x
  • Boril - 1x
  • Clarissa - 1x
  • Freya - 1x
  • Richard - 1x
  • Sif - 1x
  • Thorne - 1x

Interesting that I did not see a Kunchen, Heimdall, BK, Frigg or Mitsuko.

EDIT: More activity before Day 2 ended. I went 1-3 defended over the last 3 hours of Day 2. No more attacks until morning when my raid flags are replenished. Overall, I’m 16-0 attacking and 18-20 defending (below 50%! Not good!). A couple additional observations:

• Defense is not holding up with Telluria+18 as tank!
  • More folks are attacking my Telluria-lead defense! I was attacked 37x today and 20x yesterday for a total of 57 attacks on my defense in 2 days! Pre-nerf, I would be luck to get attacked 5x in a day!
  • The high number of raids per day will make filling my raid chest twice a day much easier! :wink:
2 Likes

Crossposting here too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@NotVixx I like Guinevere! She’s a mana controller, healer (adjacent heros only) and has great survivability! My main issue with Guinevere is her element and class. She competes with Zeline for Wizard emblems. She also competes with my other Holy, Joon+18, for lineup space. I would not want to go with two Holy heros only to have my opponent bring multiple Dark snipers to counter.

Heimdall is solid, but I find a lineup with him or a Kunchen at tank is not all that frightening. A) Most important issue. They are both slow mana which gives the opponent too much time to charge. B) They don’t punish a opponent for allowing them to charge, so you can keep throwing tiles at them until they fall. Heimdall’s revival special is potent, but typically it can be too little too late by the time he go off and the percentage of an actual revival in low.

Do you have a Frigg? I’m finding she is more and more a force at tank when I face her. Problem is I don’t have enough samples to really get a feel for her weakness to assess the extent of her weakness in wars and raid. If you have her, I would add her to your leveling plans. Now, she is Rogue class. So if you are using PiB, Marjana or Sif, you will need to either move emblems around or share emblems to beef up Frigg via her talent grid. Most of the other popular tanks have been around long enough that most folks know how to counter them. Frigg is still quite rare across the community and will be an unknown for most who face her just because of her rarity.

1 Like

I’m seeing similar numbers @Guvnor!

These numbers are consistent with what I’m seeing as well. I can’t really track Vela the same as Telluria because I don’t have her to use in raid attacks or raid defense.