Team Setups

Morning, I have been reading a lot about how people setup their teams, but I am a bit confused on a couple of things.

I see people state they set their teams for 3/2 or 2/1/1/1 and other things. I would like a better understanding of what that means and why. I have been searching through old messages to learn, but not finding a real break down / reference.

Thanks for all the help

1 Like

Those numbers of the quantity of heroes of different colors. 3/1/1 would be 3 heroes of a strong color, and one hero of two others. Which colors you bring will clearly depend on what team you’re fighting against.

1 Like

ok, but wouldn’t a rainbow team make the most sense as it will allow all tiles to be used. I guess I am trying to understand why you wouldn’t want a rainbow team.

1 Like

Some players choose to color stack against a tank. Stacking means that color tile will do more damage. It is risky but it does pay off as well.

Something like this would happen later on down the line when you have a good set of heros with a deep bench.

For example I run 4-1 on titans these days. The 1 is usually always Wu and the 4 are the strong color against the titan. It doesn’t always turn out nice but it seems to work. I am new to color stacking myself after about a year of play.

When you run multiple heroes of the same color, each tile of that color hits with their combined attack power, and the full mana is given to each hero. This greatly increases your strength, especially when you construct your team to counter the team you are attacking, like bringing 3 heroes of the strong color vs the tank. This also lets your heroes charge up together to fire complementary abilities together. In general people don’t use rainbow teams at high levels since it doesn’t let you capitalize on your attacker’s advantage.

3 Likes

I think this sums it up well and can’t think of a better way to word it myself. I will add that this is mostly used on attacking teams and not defense. Some do stack colors on defense most notably flank colors that are the weak color of the tank. You could get a long discussion on the merits of that setup vs a rainbow defense best meant for another thread.

Counterpoint: stacked teams are very useful at low levels, when you often face teams you have little chance of beating otherwise and need the increased damage variance that stacking offers. At those low levels, bad board losses are acceptable because you expect to lose a lot anyway.

At higher levels, a good rainbow team is expected to beat every opponent, when the correct specials are included, so the higher damage variance of stacking is a major disadvantage, and bad board losses are an offence against god and nature.

Stacking is crucial against titans, important for low level teams raiding stronger opponents, and totally counterproductive in late game raiding.

1 Like

I agree that colour stacking (even mono stacking) during a war, especially for players with still weak teams, is very effective.

A stronger team doesn’t want to burn all their single colours but a full team of reds for instance, even 3 stars can often quite easily clear a green tank.

p.s. like everything in this game, there is a time and place where every strategy has some benefit!

3 Likes

Do you use 6 rainbow teams in war?

Yes. Not always - I experiment with stacking sometimes - but 6 rainbow teams is what I use in a tight war when we need points to win, and it is only by using 6 rainbow teams that I have achieved 6 one-shot victories.

I’m strong enough for this. If I was weaker I would stack in wars.

1 Like

Ok, this is making more sense. Another questions is does the order of the cards really make a difference for anything other than raids and wars?

I mean having the tank in the middle and certain characters at the flank and so on.

Thanks

There are some heroes with specials that only affect nearby allies. For example, Kashhrek heals himself and adjacent allies. These heroes should be positioned in one of the middle three slots to get the maximum benefit from them.

Likewise, many offensive specials target one enemy and adjacent enemies. Since heroes in the outer slots only have one hero next to them, they’re less likely to be hit with the splash from these specials. So it can help to put defensively-weak heroes in the two outer slots.

When using multiple heroes of the same type (like two healers or two green heroes), I try to keep them separated by at least two slots so that they can’t both be hit/defeated by a single 3-target special attack. This has become especially important for stacking multiple green heroes since Gravemaker is very common in high-level raids.

3 Likes

Golden rule, stackup against Titan and teams that have stacked up. So if fighting an all blue (Ice), stack with Green (nature heroes) even if yeam power is lower, you have a highest chance if winning than with a strong rainbow team.