Tank buster strategems

Can we please share our best teams to handle common tanks please?

vs Kunchen
Joon Magni Drake Telluria Boldtusk costume

Or Vivica for Telluria

vs Telluria
Rigard Zim Marjana Telluria BT costume

Or Lianna for Telluria

vs Gravemaker
Rigard Magni Zim Richard Drake

vs Guin
BT costume Telluria Obakan Sartana Rigard
Or Costumed Tiburtus for Telluria

vs Aegir
Gandalf Drake Telluria Grimm Lianna

Just a few examples to get us going.

I struggle with Aegir TBH so I would like to hear what people do.

Cheers

Ps wish I had Rigard costume and Gandalf costume

@IvyTheTerrible

8 Likes

Vs kunchen
Gazelle-White Rabbit-Delilah-Sesh-Marie

Since a yellow is typically next to Kunch I bring two purples.

Vs Telluria
Marjana-Gazelle-Black Knight-JF-White Rabbit

Vs Gravemaker
Isarnia-Gazelle-Finley-Snow White-Ariel

Vs Aegir
Gazelle-Snow White-Morgan-Alby-Kingston
Snow White is great for Aegir tanks.

Vs Guin
Sesh-Gazelle-Marie-Panther-Kage

Those are typical teams I use but can vary depending on flanks or if there is a reviver on the team I am fighting. Gazelle has become a mainstay on many of my offenses.

4 Likes

Versus Aegir I use 3 4* heroes and have a 99% win rate against him (and thatā€™s with +18 to 20 Gravemakers/Seshat/Vela/Anyone else surrounding him): Mother North, +20 Sabina, +20 Proteus, Lianna, unemblemed Hansel. Dump all your tiles in Aegir and charge up. Dispel with Sabina, prevent enemies with massively damaging specials with Hansel, but donā€™t kill Aegir until as late as possible. You want to keep him there as your tile sponge so you can charge up your mana.

2 Likes

Bring your Finley against Aegirā€¦he mops the floor with an Aegir team.

5 Likes

Iā€™m too stingy to give Sabina emblems thoughā€¦ Will consider

vs Kunchen

reroll

vs Telluria

reroll

vs Aegir

reroll

vs GM

reroll

ā€¦

vs Kashhrek

now itā€™s my chance to shine!

24 Likes

Now that strategy i can use. LOL

3 Likes

Kunchen

Jackal Vivica Guenievre Gretel Gazelle.
3 or 4 tiles amd heā€™s down.

Telluria

Marjanna zimkitha kaghan grazul kestrel
(Zimkitha cleanse, grazul protects) or reroll if vela is there. Sometimes use my green team if there are 2 or more Ice hero with telluria

Gravemaker

Triton Richard ariel vela grimm

Aegir

Telluria lianna ratatoskr kingston lianna

Guin

Reroll, got bad purples

1 Like

LOL, so you re-roll basically ALL Telluria tanks? 95% of the Telly tanks I see are flanked by a Vela.

1 Like

If I see vela and finley I go green, if the team is below 4500

1 Like

Iā€™ve been running mono in Raids for a while.

It started as an experiment for curiosity, and Iā€™ve sustained it out of laziness, despite boredom.

vs Kunchen
Inari - Vivica - Joon - Costumed Li Xiu - Jackal

vs Telluria
Iā€™m still working this out. Iā€™ve tried a few things so far, currently trying Scarlett - Boldtusk - Seshat - Jean-FranƧois - Rigard.

vs Gravemaker
I canā€™t remember the last time I saw Gravemaker as a tank, actually, but for red tanks I use Arthur - Kiril - Frida - Magni - Richard.

vs Guin
Proteus - Sabina - Sartana - Rigard (often Costumed) - Seshat

vs Aegir
Melendor - Evelyn - Gregorian - Telluria - Lianna

I used to use Buddy in place of Telluria, and Yunan and before that Little John in place of Lianna.

1 Like

Cool idea. For me this question is about understanding the tank, what they do thatā€™s most disruptive, and how to conceptually counter it. So while I will share my most common team, Iā€™ll also address how Iā€™d respond with a general roster (more accessible / geared towards C2P).

tl;dr

Kunchen: you MUST flip or cleanse that defense down immediately, so consider Rigard, Costumed Sonya, or better yet, Costumed Melendor and Kiril (ideally two of those listed). Then exploit Kunchenā€™s slow mana speed by messing with their mana.
Telluria: I donā€™t know. Send help plz.
Gravemaker: you need multiple cleansers and must try to match his speed. However you can do that, THAT is your best team against him.
Guinevere: Clerics + dispellers. Exploit her passivity by prepping multiple specials and generating a kill.
Aegir: make the fight about time. Really grind their team and make it about attrition. Heā€™s a staller, so exploit the fact that heā€™s passive by fully charging your special. Enjoy attrition - the fight should take forever.

Kunchen

Yes, it sucks that he heals and puts up a yellow shield, but what he does that is really dangerous is the defense down ailment. It makes your team extremely susceptible to slash attacks and basically moves every hero immediately into sniping range. Therefore, when Kunchen fires, your priority must be to either clear the ailment (or lose the raid).

My team: Cos Rigard, Jackal, Victor, Joon, Onatel

This team is so strong against Kunchen that, though it is under 4,100 TP, I regularly beat EVERY Kunchen team with it, even those 400-500 TP greater. I have held off giving Victor and Onatel emblems because theyā€™re already performing so well in this situation (Cos Rigard, and Jackal are both +17 or so and Joon is +8 of so).

No one flips the defense buff better and faster than Victor - I think heā€™s the single best anti-Kunchen hero. If you do not have him, then the hero who really deserves a mention her is Costumed Melendor. If you have him, it is very manageable to get him to a 9 tile charge - a huge asset against Kunchen. Barring that, it has to be Kiril.

The second biggest problem with Kunchen is the undispellable yellow shield. Obviously Jackal is the answer there, if you have him. It basically brings you back to par on Kunchen with tile damage. If you donā€™t have Jackal there are two avenues to combat this:

1. Stack neutral: I would consider centering my attack around Costumed Melendor AND Kiril, going 3/2 blue / green or green / blue. I think you really will want both healers, to maximize your chances of clearing the defense down ailment. Costumed Melendor, Little John, Caedmon (Hansel and Peters if you have them), Kiril, and 1-2 of your best blues.
  2. Impair mana: you MUST stop Kunchen from firing a second time, so consider any and all mana controllers. Obviously Onatel, Gretel, and Mist come to mind for being the right element. But even if you donā€™t have that, Li Xiu and Leonidas should be available and serviceable. The key to this strategy is that you want to ignore trying to kill Kunchen, instead focusing on charging up specials, exploiting Kunchenā€™s slow speed. I had great success with Li Xiu, Leonidas, and Onatel before my roster got upgraded. Two LX are NOT terrible, if you lack other options. Kunchen will Manashield sometimes, so having multiple cutters will be welcome.

Really you will probably blend these two strategies, depending on your roster and the rest of the defense. Also, if you have Mitsuko, donā€™t ignore her! She cuts mana and can outright kill a blue flank / wing. Iā€™ve occasionally been rolling out a team where I sub her in for Onatel, though 2/2/1 is rare for me. It does work well though.

One last note: Iā€™ve found two Valeriaā€™s with level 11 mana troops also fare well at times, especially in Field Aid wars. They are very fast, their DoTā€™s stack very quickly, and they impair healing. That makes them useful against Kunchen AND against the rest of the team. I can see a lot of cobmos here: combining with a yellow 3tack, paired with Kiril and 2 greens or yellows, etc.

Telluria

I have no idea how to beat her. Seriously. Since I lack Grazul and Zimkitha - who are obviously the two best counters - it has really been a struggle. Aeron (who I also donā€™t have lol) also deserves a mention. As a result, I am pathetically attacking 4/1, which means I acknowledge sheā€™s too strong for me to work a 3tack against.

My team: Rigard, Gravemaker, Mitsuko, Anzogh, Costumed Boldtusk

Weirdly, one of the things Iā€™ve been trying to do in my raids is to get the inevitable Vela flank to fire as close to Telluria as possible (often that means trying to coax Vela into firing FASTER). That way I can maximize the single cleanser I have on the field. I then try to charge Mitusko to reflect the second time (that red mana troop is crawling towards level 23).

I find it hilarious that I canā€™t handle Telluria, even with several rare heroes in my roster. Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™d address this more generally. Like Kunchen, the mana slow is the most damaging part of her special, so I would love to get multiple cleansers on the field; Iā€™ll probably rejigger this once Costumed Caedmon is in the house.

I cannot emphasize this enough: I donā€™t fare well against Telluria.

Gravemaker

Itā€™s the speed. His DoT is virtually guaranteed damage, considering his speed. You often wonā€™t have a cleanser charged at the right moment. Therefore, Iā€™m going to say the single most important hero against him is:

KINGSTON

Seriously. Even though heā€™s the wrong element, his immunity to burn means I fight almost every raid against GM with Kingston smack in the middle. Also, letā€™s be real - that defense is five heroes and Kingston probably isnā€™t the weak element against any of the others.

My team: Mother North, Vela, Kingston, Frida / Isarnia, Ariel

Obviously a cleanser is a must, and N.B. that Mother Northā€™s revived heroes come back clean (more impactful than you think if you donā€™t regularly use her). I recognize that this selection is mostly paywalled, so I donā€™t think thereā€™s much point in talking about it too much. Letā€™s move on to a more general roster.

You simply MUST put Rigard and Costumed Sonya on the field. You need multiple cleansing options (like how I suggested having two defense debuff flippers against Kunchen), and these are probably the most accessible two. Plus Sonya is the element you want anyway.

Filling out the rest of the roster will just be based on your best options in each element, keeping in mind that GMā€™s speed is the more problematic aspect. Therefore Iā€™d strong suggest Proteus - you can delay / stop a second cast and the other defenders. Kiril is a strong option as youā€™ll likely need a second healer. This is a good spot to add that thereā€™s a HUGE difference between having a level 23 mana troop for him and not. Get it up there, if you can. Lastly, do NOT bring Boril. He doesnā€™t riposte DoT.

More than the other tanks listed this is a spot where the troops really matter. Level 23 mana for Proteus and Kiril would be preferred, which I realize is a tough ask for a newer player. But what can I say? This is part of the reason GM is tough. You need more speed to combat his speed.

Guinevere

Ah, Telluria before Telluria. Like many of the tanks here, it is her secondary effects that really suck. In this case it is her mana cut. Which makes the single best counter the one that is immune to it. Iā€™ll come back to that, acknowledging that not everyone has Seshat.

My team: Victor, Seshat, Costumed Rigard, with the other two filled out depending on the rest of the team.

If you donā€™t have Seshat, pack as many clerics onto the field as you can and hope Manashield procs. Also you MUST have a dispeller to clear Guinā€™s HoT (oh wait, Seshat essentially does BOTH of those things? No wonder sheā€™s such a powerful counter). Rigard is obviously the key here, as heā€™s a cleric and the right element. Iā€™d also consider bringing Sabina, as she is the right element, has strong tiles, and gives you that needed dispel (if you lack Seshat / Domitia). My ideal third would be Protues (Merlin if you have him), but the reality is they wonā€™t affect Guin. By the time theyā€™re charged sheā€™ll likely be dead; youā€™re bringing them to attack the other heroes.

The rest of your team depends heavily on your roster. Look for Hansel. If you have him he probably has emblems. Heā€™s a Cleric, heā€™s fast, and he may stop subsequent casts. Since youā€™re already going in on greens you should consider Melendor and Caedmon (again, you need a dispel).

Guin is tough, no way around it. To the extent that you can exploit her, itā€™s that sheā€™s passive. She does no damage, so charge up your specials as best you can and make sure your firing order is correct (e.g., passive dispel from Mel / Sabina first).

Aegir

The good news is that there are many green heroes who dispel, so youā€™ll probably center your attack around whatever Evelyn, Caedmon, Melendor-types you have. That is usually how I do it, but Iā€™m going to discuss an alternative approach, one that I often use in war where I canā€™t just trot out my best heroes again and again.

The alliance Iā€™m in often faces blue tanks in war, putting a real strain on my green heroes. I look for any opportunity to ā€˜restā€™ them, and usually an Aegir tank is the best opportunity. In those wars itā€™s also hard to use my best red heroes, so I am always looking for an opportunity to get a few of them onto the field. Again, Aegir is a great opportunity for this, making WILBUR the key piece of an attack.

Since I am making a significant sacrifice on tile damage (that is, bringing weak tiles against Aegir), I need to make up for it somewhere else. I am hardly the first one to believe / write this, but using Aegirā€™s special against his team is a great option. That is, rather than straight up dispel it, you flip it and use it to kill the rest of his team.

In any fight against a tank I am extremely likely to kill the tank first. Aegir teams are the one exception. Iā€™m still most likely to take Aegir, but it happens that he is NOT first more than any other tank (and by far).

Like Guinevere, Aegir is passive, meaning your strategy will be to gather your specials (probably ALL of them) and then unleash them all simultaneously. This is easier to do against Aegir than Guin, since he wonā€™t cut your mana from an unexpected tile combo charging the tank.

My team: Costumed Rigard, Proteus, Wilbur, _____, Boldtusk

Since your strategy to accrue mana takes time, you want high impact specials. This lineup fits that bill. Especially Proteus, since at some point youā€™ll need to lockdown a side of the defense to give yourself more time.

Letā€™s address that last spot. It depends on the defense, but one option I often look at is Scarlett. Sheā€™s fast and has a useful attack debuff that helps my team survive until more heroes are charged. So I may bring her if Aegir has a bunch of fast snipers around.

But if the team is more passive AND lacks a cleanser - say a Mother North in the corner, Iā€™m going to strongly consider Colen. Heā€™ll fire AFTER Wilbur, meaning his initial hit gets the benefit of the defense down (whereas Scarlett might not, if you have to use her earlier to survive). Plus his DoT stacking with Proteusā€™ will be extremely impactful.

12 Likes

My strategy is to be faster than the tank for Kunchen and obviously for Telluria wich is very sturdy.
I have Mana Troop > lvl 11 for Jackals and Kage so 6 tiles and they are set.

vs Kunchen (or Ursena depends on the mood lol)
Kage +8 - Jackal +12 - Vivica +1 or Mist +19* - Jackal +4 - Rigard +20

Sometimes I use Leonidas too in the middle.

vs Telluria
Kage +8 - Jackal +12 - Mist +19* - Jackal +4 - Rigard +20

If Telluria fire, I am dead 99% of the timeā€¦
I have tested some various combinations with my other heroes, she is too strong or fast for my roster or my playstyle, my ratio is bad, there is no point for me to fight this tank with no chance to recover if she fires.
I just do my revenges against her for now on with the team above.

Mist can be a precious asset, his - 64% mana generation and his - 34% defense down against special skill with very fast sniper are helpful.

vs Gravemaker or BK (even Ursena sometimes)
Kage +8 - Magni +3 - Grimm + 17 - Sonya +20 or Richard - Rigard +20

Richard or Sonya, it depends of the wings. I use Isarnia +8 sometimes too.

vs Guin
Kage +8 - x - Sartana +4 or Domitia +1 - x - Rigard +20 or Sabina +20 or Domitia +1

If blue red on flanks : Magni & Grimm or Sonya
If purple on flanks : Jackal & Delilah
If blue green : Greg and Kadilen
If green and red : Falcon & Marjana

vs Aegir
Kage +8 - Gregorion +8 - Kadilen +8 - Caedmon +18 - Rigard +20 or Sabina +20

Against other green tanks,
Kage +8 - Falcon +19 - Khagan or BT costumed +12 - Marjana +4 - Rigard +20

As you can see, my base for raids is Kage, dispel at very fast and Rigard +20 to cleanse. In the middle, thatā€™s a quicksand zone lol

1 Like

I just go mono against tank. Kunchen can even fire his special once, but will fall to 5 yellows.

Thanks all!

Hey I just realisedā€¦ isnā€™t Malosi a good counter to Telluria?

1 Like

Somewhat; relies on timing tho & NOT triggering the flanks of Telly too.

Malosi will only neuter the target, just gotta watch them nasty flanks that Telly has :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the extensive write-up. It seems cleansers and ā€œflippersā€ are key to mastering any of the prime tanks.

In regards to Telluria, while I often reroll the stronger teams (honestly, no point in trying to defeat a 4500+ defense with a ~3800 team unless going mono red and hoping for the best), I have found 2 red (BT & Scarlett or Colen) - 2 purple (Rigard & Proteus) - 1 blue (costumed Sonya) work really well for me if the board is not completely terrible. Still the toughest nut out there for me as of yet.

1 Like

I am wondering this as well and will be monitoring the forum for reports on this. It may be that he is most effective with other heroes, like Vivica and Gazelle. My experience so far with Telluria is that it is not just her mana ailment, but the fact that she is VERY hard to outright kill, making it far more likely her flanks fire. Which really means youā€™re dealing with full minion shield, a HoT, a mana ailment, and then probably a DoT from one of the flanks.

So youā€™ll need to block with that oh-so-powerful-punch and then still get a cleanse or reflect or something ready for whoeverā€™s coming next.

Bottom line in terms of fighting Telluria: I think Malosi will just be another tool, NOT a hard counter (the way Seshat really is for Guinevere).

2 Likes

gazelle is my favorite hero. her + joon and a 3 stack against the tank is my go to.

2 Likes

In my case against Aegir I dont need to stack more than two green heroes.

IMO is the worst tank of the named up.

Alby-Victor-Kingstone-Ariel-Joon and in a 99% too I win

1 Like