Tales of the Company of the Spear (fiction)

Jeremiah’s Tale, part 6

Early the next morning Jeremiah strode into the square in front of Hector’s castle, stood facing the front gate, and waited.

The castle was little more than a square stone keep atop a low hill, with a small walled courtyard in front. It had been built centuries ago, and the town had grown up around it, close to the shelter of its walls. In all that time, the lords of Edessos had never faced an open challenge of the kind that Jeremiah now presented them.

A crowd slowly gathered. At first they stuck to the edges of the square, afraid to put themselves too close to Jeremiah lest they be caught in the crossfire. But no attack came. The iron gates of the castle remained shut.

The crowd began to grow restless, whispering to each other at first, then muttering, then finally working up the courage to shout. “Coward!” they called at the castle gates. “Where is Lord Hector? Come out and face the wizard!”

Still no response came. Jeremiah remained silent, watching.

Naomi and Tobias stood to one side of Jeremiah, at the front of the crowd. “Do you think he’s coming out?” Naomi whispered.

“He has to,” Tobias answered. “If he fails to answer a challenge like this…” But he sounded dubious.

“But what’s taking him so long?”

“If I could hazard a guess, he’s trying to get his guards to do his dirty work for him. But they aren’t having it.” Tobias shook his head. “Hector can’t show cowardice in front of his men and keep their respect. If he doesn’t handle Jeremiah himself, they’ll turn on him. Jeremiah’s laid a nice trap for him.”

There was a movement atop the castle wall then, as half a dozen guards took up positions atop it and aimed crossbows down at the square. The crowd shrank back further, but all Jeremiah did was raise his arm and hold his fist high. The guards hesitated, their aim wavering; then they abruptly raised their weapons, pointing them at the sky, and took a short step back from the parapet. All the while their faces showed confusion, as though they were not entirely sure why they had just done that.

The crowd’s muttering grew darker then, and they eyed Jeremiah warily, slowly starting to grasp the implications of his power. “Dark magic,” a few of them muttered, and made warding signs.

Finally the gate opened. A tall, heavyset man walked slowly out, clad in full armor and flanked by four guardsmen. From a chain around his neck hung an amulet with a large golden gem inset, which glowed faintly.

“You.” Hector glared at Jeremiah. “You dare lead this rabble in insurrection against me? Guards, seize him!”

The guards took a step forward. “Stay back,” Jeremiah commanded them, and they stopped in their tracks. “The crowd is here only to watch. There is no need for you to get involved. This is between Hector and myself only.”

Hector stared at his men furiously, but they made no move, and indeed seemed unable to. “Fine,” he barked. “I’ll handle this wretch myself.” He took a step forward, drawing his sword.

Jeremiah made a sharp chopping motion with one hand, and Hector’s sword clattered to the pavement. His right arm hung limp at his side. Hector suddenly looked alarmed, and clutched at his amulet with his left hand.

“Nice trinket you have there,” Jeremiah said in a conversational tone. “Did Ranald make it for you? Told you it would protect you against my magic? And now you can’t find him, can you? That’s why you waited so long to come out – you were trying to find your pet wizard. But you couldn’t, because he knew the truth. He’s probably miles away by now. I doubt you’ll see him again. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that little bauble is absolutely worthless. All it does is glow in the dark. A child could make it do that, if he had sufficient skill with mana.” Jeremiah shook his head sadly. “And you would have known that, if you had any feel for mana at all. But you don’t, do you? None whatsoever. You’re completely blind to it.”

Hector abruptly turned and ran for the castle gate. But Jeremiah made another motion with his hands, and the armored man fell heavily to the ground. The guards wavered a bit, appearing to struggle to rush to the aid of their commander or possibly to flee in terror, but they could not move.

“We’re not finished here yet,” he chided Hector. “Don’t worry, you’re not hurt. Not permanently, anyway.”

“Kill him!” a voice called from the crowd. Other anonymous voices shouted agreement.

“Oh, I could,” Jeremiah called back. “I could easily stop his heart and leave him here to die. He might even deserve it. But no. If he dies, his uncle inherits the lordship of Edessos. And he’d be even worse. You see, Hector here is a coward. His uncle Armand, for all his faults, isn’t. Which would you prefer, a monster who was afraid of his own shadow, or one with no fear at all?”

That quieted the crowd. “So congratulations, Hector, you get to live,” Jeremiah continued. “Deserving or not, you’re better than the alternative.”

“What…” Hector gasped, his eyes wide with terror.

“What, indeed,” Jeremiah said. “Shall I show you what a real magic item looks like?” He held his fist in front of Hector’s face and opened it, revealing a small purple orb. "Pretty, isn’t it? It’s a mind orb, made centuries ago by sorcerers from the dark lands of the East. Quite powerful, and quite dangerous in the wrong hands. With this I could command your every move. You couldn’t so much as breathe without my say-so. And that is the least of its powers.

"If I wanted, I could make you my puppet, and rule through you. But I find that prospect singularly unappealing. No, I have a much different fate in mind for you, Hector.

“You see, with this orb I can actually make changes to your mind. Rearrange it to suit my own purposes. Make you the kind of person you ought to be.” Jeremiah smiled, though his eyes were dark.

Utter silence descended on the square. The assembled crowd stood motionless, watching.

“Let’s have a look inside your head, shall we?” Jeremiah reached a hand down and laid it on Hector’s forehead. Hector abruptly grew rigid.

What Jeremiah saw with the orb’s aid was like mana-sight, but focused entirely on Hector’s head. He could see lines of colorful energy coursing through the man’s mind, and with the aid of the orb he was able to make sense of it, identifying thoughts, habits, memories, emotions, predispositions, and the myriad connections between them. It was more complex than anything he had ever seen, and for a moment he marveled at it.

But all was not well in Hector’s mind, and Jeremiah could clearly see how diseased it truly was.

“What have we here? Oh my, you are a twisted one, aren’t you? This is quite fascinating. I can see how your whole mind is structured, how one set of thoughts triggers another, how memories and feelings and experiences all come together to shape who and what you are. And it’s quite a mess in there, Hector. You’re completely the wrong way round.”

He pondered one purple-red strand of Hector’s mind and frowned. “Why, look at this. It makes so much clear. You’re really just frightened all the time, aren’t you? And so you try to make yourself feel powerful. And the way you feel powerful is to hurt other people. Force them to do what you want.” Jeremiah shook his head. “And they call me dark.”

He sighed. “I can see we’re going to have to make a few changes. So let’s reroute this particular thought pattern, shall we? Let’s change it so that whenever you harm your people, whenever you fail to do your duty to them, whenever you inflict injustice upon them, you feel, not power, but fear. Abject, paralyzing fear. Fear of punishment for your crimes.” Jeremiah leaned in close to Hector’s face. “Fear of me.”

With the orb’s aid it was but the work of a moment to divert the swirling lines of Hector’s mind into a new configuration.

Then, in a thoughtful tone, he continued, “But that’s only half the equation, isn’t it? Well, I see here that your father at least attempted to teach you how to be a proper ruler. It may not have taken, but the idea of good and wise rulership is at least there. And that gives me something I can work with.”

He smiled. “What your father taught you – duty to your people, justice, good stewardship – all of that, from now on, is what will make you feel powerful. Do you want to feel good about yourself? Be the man your father tried to make you be.” And with a small mental effort Jeremiah made it so.

He pondered the new arrangement of Hector’s mind for a bit, watching with great interest as thoughts started to move in new patterns. “There, that should do,” he said. “Though I’m afraid it might take a while for you to figure out what kind of man you are now. Just try not to muck it up too badly, will you? I’d hate to have to do this again.”

Jeremiah then rose, standing straight and turning to face the crowd. “I give you a new man,” he said, gesturing down at where Hector still lay on the cobblestones. “A better man.”

The crowd in the square merely stared at him in silence, their expressions ranging from confused to utterly terrified. Some of them appeared to be casting warding spells under their breath. Tobias merely shook his head sadly, while Naomi glared at him in open contempt.

Jeremiah looked at them sadly. “I suppose thanks is too much to hope for,” he muttered.

“What did you expect?” Tobias said. “Hector is at least an evil that they understand. You, on the other hand, are a worse evil, because they don’t know what you can do to them. And they aren’t all that keen about living under the rule of a Dark Lord.”

“Do you think that’s what I intend?” Jeremiah protested. “Does nobody here understand what happened this morning?”

“You should have just killed him,” Naomi spat. “It’s what he deserved. This…” She gestured to where Hector still lay on the ground. “This is just wrong. You’ve changed, Jeremiah. This power you wield has corrupted you. You’ve become an evil man.”

Jeremiah looked around at the hostile faces surrounding him, and sighed. “So be it,” he said. “If darkness is my inheritance and my destiny, then so be it. If it is my fate to do good and be despised for it, then so be it. I do not ask for your thanks or your understanding. But I will continue to act when my conscience demands it, to right wrongs by any means necessary, and I do not ask anyone’s leave to do so.”

He turned to face Hector, who was staring up at him in confusion. “They are your problem now,” he said. “Rule them well. I wash my hands of them.”

He then turned and strode away from the castle, heading downhill to where a road ran through the middle of the town. When he reached it he turned east. He did not look back.

7 Likes

Fascinating as always.

Exitus acta probat

The ends justifies the means

Excellent work, sir

Jeremiah’s Tale, part 7

Six months later:

A frigid wind howled through the deserted streets of Old Windemer, blowing tiny snowflakes that fell more horizontally than vertically. In the shadows of long-empty doorways, vague figures rustled and moved, their eyes shining in the fading winter sunlight. But they did not come out into the open, even when a slender man tightly wrapped in a thick cloak passed by, though their noses told them that this was fresh, juicy, living meat. They sensed something in the man’s aura, and slunk away in search of easier prey.

He came to a large domed building on a broad avenue lined with long-dead birch trees. Carefully he tested the magical wards surrounding the building, finding a place where he could slip through unharmed. But not unnoticed; he had no wish to take the building’s guardian by surprise.

The main hall’s ancient bronze doors swung easily on their hinges, opening up into a large round hall. The man walked slowly to the center of the hall, directly beneath the center of the dome. He peered into the many shadowy doorways that led deeper into the building.

“Diana,” he whispered softly.

From out of the darkness, a woman’s voice replied, “Jeremiah?”

She came from out of the shadows, making not a sound. A silver band held her jet-black hair back from her face, and enormous dark eyes shone from a bone-white face. Her dress was the palest of blues, sleeveless and of a silken fabric so thin it was barely there. She seemed not to notice the frigid air of the hall.

She moved impossibly smoothly, not quite floating across the floor towards Jeremiah. When she reached him she stopped, and held a hand out to him. “It is you,” she said. “I didn’t expect you would be back so soon.”

“And yet,” was his simple response.

“Have you…” Diana began, then hesitated. “Have you come to join me, as I offered?”

The young man shook his head. “I only came to return this.”

He reached out his hand, cradling a small purplish orb in his palm. The vampire reached out and took it slowly, her face a mask of astonishment.

“Why?” she asked.

Jeremiah seemed to deflate a bit. “It’s too much,” he said, his voice shaking ever so slightly.

Diana reached out and took his hand in hers. “Come,” she commanded, leading him to one side of the hall, where a marble bench stood against a wall. “Sit.” She took a seat next to him, close but not quite touching him.

“Now, tell me what brought you here,” she said softly, looking into his eyes.

Jeremiah did not meet her gaze, instead staring at the floor in front of him. “I tried,” he said. “I tried to do good…” Then, with more conviction, “No. I did good. I tried to help people as best I could, to defend the powerless against the powerful.” He shook his head. “They hated me for it.”

“You used the orb?”

“Only once,” he admitted. “After that, after I saw how much it frightened people, I tried other ways. Still, they were more afraid of me than of those who robbed and beat and oppressed them.” He sighed. “I wanted so much to make them see… It became a constant temptation. I knew that with the orb I could make people understand what I was doing. But if I did that, I’d be precisely the monster they thought I was.”

“So you brought it back to me.”

“You were right, Diana. It was corrupting me. I was becoming… someone I didn’t want to be.”

“But still, to have the strength to give it up…” She slid close to him and leaned against him, resting her head against his shoulder. “I underestimated you, Jeremiah.”

“No,” he said sadly. “I was… arrogant. Reckless. So convinced of my own righteousness that I couldn’t understand how others would see me. I’m not a hero, Diana. I was foolish to think I might be. I’m just a shepherd who has some skill with mana.”

“You are much more than that to me,” the vampire murmured, looking up at him.

Jeremiah looked back down into her eyes, startled by her admission. She smiled, and leaned up until their lips met. Then she was sitting in his lap, holding him tightly, as their kiss grew more passionate.

After a minute they stopped, and she pressed her face against his chest.

“You are cold, Diana,” Jeremiah whispered.

Her shoulders slumped then, and she pulled away slightly. “I know,” she said. “I’m a fool.”

They were both silent for a moment, and then she continued, “I have thought about you often since we first met, Jeremiah. You are the most interesting person I have met in – well, centuries. And in case nobody has told you, you are also quite handsome. I allowed myself to fantasize about you on occasion.” She looked up at him and added, “When I heard your voice in the hall, for a moment I allowed myself to hope that you had come back… for me.”

“I am sorry,” he answered.

“It’s my own fault,” she said. “I let my feelings run away with me. It’s… unwise, for someone such as me.”

“Are you saying that you love me?”

“Who knows?” Diana shrugged. “Desire, yes. I definitely desire you. But love? I don’t know if I’m capable of that. I don’t know that I ever was.”

Jeremiah nodded. “Then you know why I can’t stay.”

“I know,” she said. “You deserve better.” She laughed then, and held up the mind orb. “You know, it just occurred to me. With this, I could make you stay.” She sighed. “But if I did, I would destroy everything about you that makes me want you to stay.”

“I’m sorry,” he said again.

“No need to feel sorry for me. I still have what I have always had. The Silver Citadel is mine, and all the knowledge within. It would take me thousands of years to learn everything there is to learn here.”

“It sounds lonely.”

“It is. But I have always been lonely.” She leaned against him once more, and asked, “Where will you go now, Jeremiah?”

“Away,” he said. “I’ll try to find a place where I can forget about the world and let it forget about me. Perhaps I’ll tend a flock of sheep.”

“It sounds lonely.”

“I’ll have a sheepdog or two for company.”

“Oh, I see. Much better, yes.” She let out a small laugh. “So is this how we part, Lord Jeremiah the Black? You go off to sit alone on a cold mountain with your sheep, and I stay here in this cold dark hall with my books? With all our power, this is what we have come to?”

“Power,” Jeremiah scoffed. “I never wanted it. What has it ever brought me but sorrow?”

She stood then, and took both his hands in hers. “I hope you find the peace you are searching for, Jeremiah,” she said.

He stood as well, and pulled her close, leaning down to kiss her once more. “Farewell, my lady,” he murmured.

“Should your feelings for me ever change,” she whispered back, “I will be here.”

They parted then, and he vanished into the night.

She did not cry at his departure. Vampires are not capable of tears.

8 Likes

I can not think of how to praise you anymore.

1 Like

Such gifts you shower upon us, oh talespinner. My heart aches for Jeremiah and Diana.
Blessings,
Azure

2 Likes

Jeremiah’s Tale, part 8

Four months later:

Jeremiah made his way past empty farmhouses and deserted fields. This was good, fertile farmland, in a valley carved by a small river where people had tended their crops and herds for thousands of years. And yet it now lay abandoned, fields untilled and pastures overgrown.

He followed the road across the valley until he came to the steep stone ridge of a long mountain that rose up on its eastern side. At the mountain’s base, finally, he found life; the fields here were sown with the early crops, and cattle grazed in seeming contentment. The farmers and herdsmen that he saw, on the other hand, seemed nervous, glancing often towards the west.

The road switchbacked its way up the mountainside, and Jeremiah climbed up it towards the walled town above. This was a new thing; the town of Riha had once stood beside the river, but over the past few years the homes and shops of the old town had been disassembled, stone by stone and brick by brick, and hauled up to the top of the mountain to be rebuilt behind the safety of thick stone walls.

Finally he reached the gates of the town, and there he found a curious sight. The corpse of a giant winged lizard had been nailed to the walls beside the gate, its wings extended to their full span of nine yards, its head hanging down limply and its body showing multiple deep wounds. Beneath one wing was tacked a notice scrawled on heavy paper:

This vicious DRAGON
killed by commission from the Lady Terese of Riha
by the Company of Valdemar Eriksson

This Company is now seeking to hire
Monster Hunters and Adventurers
to seek BOUNTIES and TREASURES

Inquire at the Inn of the Jealous Monk
New Riha Town

“Dragon,” Jeremiah muttered, shaking his head in amusement. He asked one of the gate guards for directions, and made his way through the narrow cobblestone streets to the inn. The innkeeper directed him towards a large man with thick blonde hair and a long mustache and beard who occupied a booth in one corner.

“Are you Valdemar Eriksson?” Jeremiah asked.

“I am,” the man said, speaking Corellian with a strong Skyfheimer accent. “Are you looking for work?”

“That I am,” Jeremiah said, taking a seat across from the Eriksson. “The name’s Jeremiah Black.”

Eriksson’s eyebrows lifted at that. “I’ve heard of you,” he said.

Jeremiah stiffened slightly. “Have you now?”

“Yes, I have. There’s a price on your head, you know, on the other side of the Deadlands.” He chuckled. “A ridiculously small price. You should be insulted.”

Jeremiah relaxed a little. “So you’re not keen to collect it?”

Eriksson snorted. “Seriously? I’d spend more getting you there than I’d make from the bounty. Besides, from what I heard you were just tweaking the noses of some lords who seriously deserved it.”

“Yes, well. I’ve given that up, anyway.”

Eriksson nodded. “Less need of it on this side of Windemer anyway,” he said. “Take the Lady Terese here. She’s been a good ruler for her people. Spent a lot of her own money getting them all moved up onto the mountain, where it’s safer. Spent more of it paying us to kill that dragon. She’s all right.”

“You mean the wyvern?”

“Ah, well, that.” Eriksson’s eyes twinkled. “You know, and I know, that it’s really just a big wyvern. Even a small dragon was three times the size of that beast. But the peasants called it that, and they care less about the name of it than about the fact that it’s no longer raiding their cattle. Which it’s not, thanks to us.”

Jeremiah nodded. “Fair enough, then.”

“So then, you’ve retired from annoying the lords of Western Windemer, and now you’re looking to take up the adventuring life?”

“Actually I was looking to buy a flock of sheep and some land to tend them on,” Jeremiah said. “But my plan had one fatal flaw.”

“Oh? And what’s that?”

“I have no money.”

Eriksson burst out laughing. “Yes, that has been the downfall of many men’s plans, indeed. Well, if it’s money you’re looking for, my company has an expedition planned that should pay out nicely. If you have the skill and the courage. By reputation you have plenty of both.”

“I have some skill with mana,” Jeremiah admitted. “And cowardice has never been one of my virtues. What’s the plan for this expedition?”

Eriksson leaned in close. “Have you ever been in the Deadlands?”

“I’ve spent most of the last year there.”

The blonde man looked impressed. “Have you now? You know it well?”

“Probably as well as any living man.”

Eriksson nodded. “Then you may be just the man we’re looking for. Come with me. I’d like you to meet the rest of my company.”

Jeremiah followed the other man up a flight of steps to a hallway on the inn’s upper floor. They entered a small room where three other people waited. “I believe I’ve found us a guide,” Eriksson announced. “Jeremiah, these are my companions: Alexandra, Bruunk, and Idelba.”

The other three looked him over. Alexandra was a tall woman with long brown hair, striking blue eyes, and a fair complexion marred by prominent scar on her left cheek, clad in a deep green cloak. Bruunk was a truly enormous orc, seven feet in height, with a broad grin somewhat lessening the impact of the giant yellow fangs protruding from his lower jaw. But it was Idelba who truly got Jeremiah’s attention. She was wrapped in a gray robe with a large hood, which did not quite conceal her whiskered nose or yellow-furred pointed ears or the slitted pupils of her golden eyes. She was a leo, one of the legendary lion-people of the Forgotten Sands, whom Jeremiah had believed a myth.

Alexandra nodded and eyed Jeremiah curiously. Bruunk’s grin broadened. “Pleased to meet you,” he said; he spoke excellent Corellian in a surprisingly pleasant tenor, albeit with an indescribable broad-voweled accent. Idelba’s ears twitched as she fixed Jeremiah with a penetrating stare.

“A dark wizard,” she muttered. “Valdemar, are you sure this is wise?”

“He knows the Deadlands,” Eriksson said. “As for his character, I’ve heard of him. I believe we can trust him.”

“You’ve been in the Deadlands?” Bruunk asked, curiosity evident in his voice. “Ever been in Old Windemer City?”

“I was there not four months ago,” Jeremiah answered.

“You’ve been to Old Windemer and back unharmed.” Alexandra’s voice betrayed skepticism. “How?”

Jeremiah smiled, and made a gesture. His skin abruptly turned grey, and his eyes appeared to glow with a shimmering blue light.

Idelba hissed in alarm, but the orc merely burst out laughing. “Oh, that’s grand,” he said. “The undead look at you and can’t tell you from one of their own!”

“The less intelligent ones, at least,” Jeremiah confirmed. “The smarter ones aren’t fooled, but they can be reasoned with in other ways.” He made another motion with his hands and his appearance returned to normal.

“See?” Eriksson smiled. “He’s our ticket in and out of Old Windemer.”

Jeremiah held up a hand. “Just what, exactly, are you planning to do in Old Windemer?”

“A fair question,” Eriksson said. “In the old days, Windermer City was a treasure-trove of magical items. Weapons, in particular. Many of those items are still there, in long-abandoned fortresses.”

“If it’s the Silver Citadel you speak of, then I should warn you against it,” Jeremiah said. “It’s guarded by a powerful vampire lord. You don’t want to cross her.”

“Good to know,” Eriksson answered. “But we had a different target in mind.”

“Ever been to the Tower of Swords?” Alexandra asked.

“Not inside it, but I know where it is,” Jeremiah said. “So that’s the goal?”

“There are many powerful weapons in the vaults of the Brotherhood of Swords,” Eriksson said. “They could be… very valuable to those who must guard this land and its people from the ever-growing threat of the Deadlands. So yes, that is our goal. We go in, recover as many weapons as we can, and get out. Some we keep for ourselves, most we sell to those who would put them to good use.”

“There is one weapon in particular,” Idelba added, “that belongs to the Temple of the Holy Light in my homeland. The high priestess loaned it to a warrior of the Brotherhood of Swords centuries ago, and it was never returned. I have been tasked with recovering it.”

Jeremiah nodded. “Fair enough. And the pay?”

“One-fifth of the profits after expenses,” Eriksson said. “Which should, I hope, be enough to buy as large a flock of sheep as you wish.”

“Then I’m in, if you’ll have me.”

“Sure, why not?” Bruunk said. “He seems right enough.”

“We do need a guide,” Alexandra added.

Idelba frowned. “I am not entirely sanguine about a dark wizard leading us into that place. I will be keeping a close eye on you.”

“Then it’s settled.” Erikkson extended a hand to Jeremiah. “Welcome to the Company.”

8 Likes

Excellent writing, as always, dear @Drumnadrochit!

The Tale becomes ever more enthralling. Onward, please!

Ahhrrrgggg! The suspence is killing me!!!

Yay! More adventures!
Thank you!

I just found this, dear Drunadrochit, and got lost in the story… Can’t wait for more. My son doesn’t play the game, but I am recommending it to him. So many amazing themes & truths. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

The next chapter is coming along, a bit more slowly than I like but it’s getting there. Look for it in the next few days.

1 Like

I keep checking!!! Can’t wait!!! But take your time…it’s so worth the wait!!!

I did not mean to let this sit for so long. Life got in the way for a while, but at long last, the adventures of the Company continue:

Jeremiah’s Tale, part 9

Two days later:

A rotting wooden wagon drawn by two skeletal horses creaked down a bumpy, overgrown road through the dense forests of the Deadlands of Windemer. The wagon’s driver looked ahead at the road through lifeless eyes, and the dead cadaverous flesh of his corpse showed through the tattered rags of his cloak. Flanking him were four more undead riders on equally dead mounts. Apart from the clattering of the wagon wheels, they moved in silence down the ancient road.

They passed a small hunting pack of ghouls, devouring some unfortunate animal by the roadside. The ghouls barely looked up at them as they passed; the ghouls had no interest in hunting other dead things.

Once they were passed, the wagon driver chuckled. “Looks like your disguise is working out right.”

“I told you it would,” answered one of the other undead riders, in the voice of Jeremiah.

“It has turned out to be useful,” another rider said in Idelba’s voice. The leo’s doubtful tone was at odds with her words.

“Well, if it gets us to Old Windemer without having to fight our way through hordes of undead, then Jeremiah’s earned his pay,” Eriksson said.

The members of the Company and their mounts had traveled under the cloak of Jeremiah’s disguise spell since they had entered the Deadlands that morning. The undead denizens of the land had largely ignored them, and the living ones had fled in terror.

“I’m going to scout ahead,” Alexandra announced, spurring her horse to a quicker pace. Idelba fell in behind her. They were the company’s two best riders; Eriksson was competent enough on horseback, but Jeremiah had little experience and was an indifferent rider, while no horse in the land could bear Bruunk’s weight, relegating him to driving the wagon. But Alexandra was a natural on horseback, and the leo, somewhat to Jeremiah’s surprise, rode as if she’d been born in the saddle.

“Don’t think the ladies like you much, mate,” the orc observed.

Jeremiah shrugged. “I’ve had more than my share of trouble with women. I’m not looking for any more just now.”

“So that’s what’s got your mind made up to run off and become a shepherd, is it?”

“It’s what I was before,” Jeremiah said.

Bruunk shook his head. “Suit yourself. But a bloke like you could make a lot of money hunting for treasure with us.”

“Are you in it for the money, then?”

“Well, it’s something to do, isn’t it?” the orc said with a laugh. “I mean, I had to do something after I left my tribe.”

“Why did you leave them, anyway?”

“My mum became the chief.”

“Your mother?” Jeremiah repeated. “Why did that make you leave?”

“Well, think about it. What kind of a warrior follows his mum’s banner into battle? I’d have been a laughingstock. So I had to leave, didn’t I?”

Jeremiah glanced over at Eriksson, who shrugged. “Don’t ask me. It doesn’t make much sense to me either.”

A few minutes later the two scouts came riding back down the trail. “Looks clear ahead,” Alexandra reported. “There’s an old bridge across a river about a quarter mile ahead. It should be passable.”

The bridge was a single stone arch spanning a small river running through a deep, narrow gorge. A weathered inscription carved into a stone at one end announced that the bridge had been built in the third year of the Empress Jacinta.

“More than a thousand years ago,” Idelba said softly, stooping low to read the inscription. “And still standing, despite that this land has been a wilderness for centuries.”

“The Empire built things right,” Eriksson said. “Back in Skyfheim the old Imperial roads were still the best around, even though nobody had maintained them since the Empire fell.”

“And now Skyfheim has fallen into ruin,” the leo said. “And the desert encroaches on my homeland more and more each year. And in the East it is said a new Dark Lord is rising.” She looked around her in distaste. “And Windemer is dead, and we are looting its corpse like common brigands.”

“Would you rather let actual brigands take Old Windemer’s treasures?” Eriksson challenged. “Or worse than brigands?”

“I’m not sure there’s much of a difference,” the leo shot back, a low growl starting deep in her throat.

You were the one who proposed this whole expedition!” Eriksson shouted. “You came to me because I had the guts to go into the Deadlands when no one else would! If you don’t like the way I run my company, maybe you should never have joined with us!”

“I am regretting joining you more and more with each passing moment. I should have done this on my own, instead of relying on brigands and orcs and dark wizards.”

“Stop it,” Jeremiah shouted in a commanding tone.

The rest of the company turned to stare at him. “You are not yourselves. Get hold of yourselves, and remember why we are here. It’s this place that’s making you argue,” he explained. “It’s the dark mana that runs through the Deadlands. It twists your mind, turns your thoughts dark. You have to guard against it or it will tear us apart. Believe me, I know.”

“Yes, a dark wizard would know,” Idelba said sourly. “Dark magic inevitably turns the minds of those who are exposed to it towards darkness.”

“And light magic doesn’t twist the minds of the weak and unwary?” Jeremiah asked. “Doesn’t it make people judgmental and self-righteous and intolerant?”

“Man’s got a point on you there, Idelba,” the orc said.

Eriksson spat on the ground. “Enough. Jeremiah’s right. We’re wasting time. It’s three more days before we get to Old Windemer, and if we don’t keep ourselves focused we’re never going to make it. So no more bickering. Let’s go.”

“Three days,” Alexandra muttered. “And then the real challenge begins.”

Three days later:

The Tower of Swords occupied a prominent place on Old Windemer’s main square. Once it had been the headquarters of the Imperial viceroy, and later the first palace of the kings of Windemer, before King Oswald II had built a new palace across the square and gifted his old one to the Brotherhood of Swords.

The Brotherhood had long since disbanded and the kingdom of Windemer was no more, but the tower still rose high above the city. It was seemingly untouched by time, its marble walls still intact and shining in the afternoon sun. Only the tower’s main doors, huge masses of oak bound with iron, betrayed the fact that the tower was long abandoned; the doors had been pried off their hinges and now lay to either side of the shadowy entrance.

“That’s not right,” Jeremiah said.

The Company stood before the tower, surveying it carefully. The past few days had been hard on all of them, and they were now barely speaking to each other. But with the goal near at hand, they were ready to discuss business.

“What do you mean?” Eriksson asked.

“Those doors were intact the last time I was in the city,” Jeremiah answered. “Magically sealed. Something has breached them, and recently.”

“How recently?”

“Some time in the past few months. No way to tell closer than that – whoever or whatever it was, they could be long gone.” The wizard peered into the dark interior of the tower. “But I think… There’s something still in there.”

“Great,” Alexandra muttered. “Another problem.”

“We need to scout the interior, find out what’s going on,” Eriksson said. “Bruunk, you stay here with the wagon, stand guard.”

“Why do I always have to guard the bloody wagon?” the orc grumbled.

“Because this calls for stealth, and you’re not exactly quiet when you move,” Eriksson snapped. “When we go in, we’ll stick close to the walls, stay in the shadows. Idelba, Jeremiah, you go right. Alexandra and I will go left. If you see anything, head back here. Do not engage until we know what we’re up against.”

The leo gave Jeremiah a sour look, unhappy at being paired with him. Then she motioned for him to follow her, and they headed into the tower.

The main hall had once been lined with marble statues of the Brotherhood’s greatest warriors. They now lay fallen, knocked over and smashed by some unknown force, the banners that once identified them reduced to rags. There was a smell that Jeremiah couldn’t place, and a faint hissing sound coming from ahead.

The hall led to a large courtyard. The center of the building was hollow and open to the sky, lined with columns supporting balconies on dozens of floors rising high overhead. The man and the cat hid in the shadows of the columns and peeked carefully out at what lay in the middle of the courtyard.

It looked as though something had piled all of the Brotherhood’s forgotten treasures in one place. Armor of every description, swords and every other kind of weapon imaginable, jewels, gold coins, and a dizzying assortment of other items lay in a large heap. They did not have to wonder what had done the collecting, because it lounged, apparently asleep, on top of its treasure horde. It was long and sinuous, with wings folded at its sides, and was a shade of purple so dark that it was nearly black.

Idelba’s eyes went wide with fear, her ears flattened back along her skull, and she bared her teeth. Jeremiah made frantic motions with his hands back towards the entrance. She nodded, and they made their way as quietly as they could back out of the tower. Eriksson and Alexandra followed close behind them.

“So, what’s the story?” Bruunk asked when they were all assembled back at the wagon.

“There is,” Alexandra said, “a huge dragon in there.”

“Actually it’s on the small side,” Jeremiah countered. “For a dragon, anyway.”

“A dragon? Thought they were all dead.” The orc eyed them dubiously.

“Well, this one’s not,” Eriksson said.

“Definitely a true dragon, not just an oversized wyvern,” Jeremiah added. “About twenty yards long, probably a wingspan to match. And it’s sitting on top of what we came to get.”

“Oh,” was all the orc had to offer.

Eriksson glanced back towards the tower. “Anyone know how to get it out of there?”

They all turned to look at Jeremiah, who held up his hands. “Sorry, I have no idea how to fight a dragon. But,” he continued, “I may know somebody who does.”

5 Likes

@Drumnadrochit

Huzzah! This is so good! Well worth the wait.
I hope RL allows you more time to continue this story.

Well written as always! More, more, more:)

1 Like

I apologize for letting this go for so long. I intended to take a short break, but life intervened. But I seem to have some spare time on my hands, so the Company marches on.

Jeremiah’s Tale, part 10

The company made their way through the deserted streets of Old Windemer. They saw no one but a few crows on the rooftops, but could not escape the feeling that not-quite-living eyes followed their every move from dark windows. At last they came to am enormous building of fine white marble overgrown with twisted vines, with a great dome, once polished silver but now tarnished to nearly black, crowning it.

“This is the Silver Citadel,” Jeremiah told the others. “Once the greatest center of learning in all the land. Its library is still intact.”

“Thought you said a vampire lord rules this place,” Bruunk objected.

“She does,” the young man confirmed. “And she was a Master of the Citadel, long ago, dedicated to the preservation and spread of knowledge. She’s still sympathetic to those seeking information.”

“Except,” Idelba said, wrinkling her nose, “she appears to have this place locked down. There are magical wards and barriers covering the whole building. I can feel them. I can practically smell them.”

“Well, she does have a dragon on her doorstep,” Eriksson pointed out. “That would be enough to set anyone on edge.”

“So the question is, can we get in?” Alexandra shook her head skeptically. “And once we are in, what kind of reception can we expect?”

“To the first question, yes,” Jeremiah said. “There are apertures in the barriers, where someone small enough – smaller than a dragon, at least – can get through unharmed. As to the second question, she’s a friend. Let me do the talking and we’ll be fine.”

“You’re friends with a vampire lord?” Idelba’s ears flattened against her skull. “I should have guessed.”

“Enough of that,” Jeremiah snapped. “We need to present a united front. Follow me very closely, and we’ll get through the wards.”

Jeremiah led the way towards the front door, placing his feet very carefully to slip by the invisible – but nonetheless tangible – defenses of the building. The rest of the company went behind, although Idelba’s fur all stood on end as they passed through the wards, and Bruunk let out a small yelp when he strayed too far to one side. But they were quickly through, and Jeremiah led them into the Citadel’s main hall.

But then he stopped short, and held up a hand in warning. “This isn’t right,” he whispered to his companions.

The hall was filled with a formation of shadowy figures. As his eyes adjusted to the light, Jeremiah made out a squadron of skeletal figures, clad in ragged tunics and carrying spears. A deep, guttural command came from the darkness, and the formation of skeletal warriors turned as one, bringing their spears down until they pointed directly at the intruders.

“Hold!” Jeremiah called out, stepping forward with a hand upraised. “I seek audience with the Lady Diana, Master of the Citadel?”

“Indeed?” a hoarse, inhuman voice responded. “And you are?”

A figure emerged from the shadows and advanced towards Jeremiah. It was gaunt, but its bones still were mostly covered by nearly-petrified flesh; bones showed through on one side of its face, exposing teeth and cheekbone. It wore a crested helmet and plate armor, and carried a gleaming sword in one hand.

“My name is Jeremiah Black. Diana knows me. We have need to speak with her.”

The walking corpse made a sharp gesture with its left hand, and one of the skeletal warriors fell out of formation and walked off through a doorway and down a dark corridor. The undead commander eyed the wizard in apparent curiosity.

“Wait here,” it ordered.

“You didn’t say anything about an undead army,” Eriksson whispered.

“They weren’t here the last time,” Jeremiah murmured back. “This is something new.”

“Quiet,” the undead commander snarled.

Their wait was short; after a moment, the skeletal messenger returned, and handed its commander a piece of paper.

The commander glanced down at it, and grunted. “The Master of the Citadel will see you, Jeremiah Black.”

“Excellent,” Jeremiah said, gesturing for his companions to follow.

Only you,” the undead warrior insisted.

Jeremiah shrugged, and turned to his companions. “Wait here.”

“I don’t like this,” Idelba muttered.

“Wait here,” Jeremiah repeated, and motioned for the skeletal messenger to lead the way. He followed through a maze of dark passages, deep into the interior of the citadel, coming at last to a small room lined with bookshelves, with a wooden desk in the middle lit by a single candle. Diana rose from her seat at the table and glided towards him.

“Jeremiah. It really is you,” she whispered, looking up at him.

Jeremiah was shocked at her appearance. She had always been slender, but now she was rail-thin with dark circles under her eyes, and her hair was disheveled. She wore a severely plain black dress with no ornamentation. She had never looked more like the walking corpse that he knew she was.

“You shouldn’t have come,” she said quietly, and then threw her arms around him in a sudden embrace, burying her face in his chest.

Jeremiah held her tightly and gently stroked her hair. “Diana…” he said, hesitating. “You look terrible.”

“Yes, I know, I know, I’m a mess,” she said. “I have a dragon threatening everything I’ve been able to hold on to, I’ve been literally trying to raise an army, I haven’t had the mana to spare to take care of myself, and I’ve been dreaming about you showing up to stand and fight by my side, and now here you are.” She let out a long sigh. “I wish you hadn’t come.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m exhausted and at my wit’s end and I haven’t had time to hunt and I’m hungry, Jeremiah, so very hungry, and you’re here, all warm and alive and tempting, and I really want to rip your throat open and drain you dry, and I really don’t want to do that.” She clutched him tightly. “I’m an idiot, Jeremiah. In all my long centuries I’ve never wanted a man the way I want you, and I can’t have you without destroying you, and this kind of weakness is what destroys vampires and I can’t afford that. Why are you here, anyway?”

“We – my companions and I – we had planned to loot the Tower of Swords. But there was this dragon, you see, and we had no idea how to fight it.”

“No, I mean, why are you here? I thought you were running away to be a shepherd.”

“Sheep cost money. I had none.”

“Then why didn’t you just come to me, you fool? I have the Citadel’s whole treasury, mostly intact. You could buy all the sheep in the world with that.”

“Diana, Diana, you are missing the point,” Jeremiah said. “You need help with that dragon. I need help with that dragon. Why can’t we help each other?”

“Because it would kill you,” she spat.

“It’s killing you.”

“I’m already dead.”

“You know what I mean.” He looked down into her eyes. “Let me help.”

“No,” Diana said, pulling away from him. “No, no, no. You don’t know what you’re offering.”

“You’re low on mana. I can spare some.”

“No,” the vampire said, almost sobbing. “Jeremiah, it’s an insanely generous offer, but I simply don’t trust myself. If I started to drain you… I don’t know if I could stop.”

“And you think I’m not strong enough to stop you before you take too much?”

“Maybe. I don’t know.” Her shoulders slumped. “But… I need strength…”

Then she threw her arms around him again, and locked her mouth against his, kissing him passionately. Jeremiah felt himself weakening, as mana flowed out of him and into her, and she grew stronger with each passing second. And there was a part of him that was sorely tempted to let her have it all.

But then he willed it to stop, and the flood of mana slowed to a trickle. Diana pulled back from him, and looked up into his eyes. Already she looked stronger and healthier.

“You are far too trusting, my love,” she said, a bitter edge in her voice.

“Better?”

“A little,” she admitted. “I am still hungry, but that definitely took the edge off. I’m – more in control of myself now.”

“You’re welcome.”

“You really don’t understand, do you?” she asked abruptly.

“What?”

“Jeremiah, surviving as a vampire – well, ‘surviving’ isn’t the right word, but regardless – it takes a certain strength of will. It requires discipline, and resolve, and extreme selfishness. But mostly, it involves never regretting what one gives up to become – this.” She gave him a longing look. “And you – make me regret. And that is dangerous. It weakens me.”

“I’m sorry.”

She shook her head. “Do you know, if I could I think I actually would give up all of this for you? I’d run off to your absurd little sheep ranch and be your wife and bear your children and grow old with you and have a normal life, and I can’t ever have that. I can’t even take you into my bed just for a night’s pleasure, because I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to stop myself from killing you and making you mine forever, and I can’t do that to you. And the more I think about that, the more tempting it becomes to simply wander out into the sunlight and end it all. And then the Citadel would have no guardian, and I have given my life and my unlife, for centuries, to this place. So I can’t let myself love you, Jeremiah. I can’t. And yet I do.”

“I’m sorry, Diana. I never meant…”

“No, don’t be silly,” she said. “I made my choice centuries ago. And if I had not made the choice I did I would never have met you, so I suppose regretting it is silly.” She gave him a sad smile. “Well, I suppose I ought to go and meet your companions. Give me just a minute to make myself presentable. We can’t be showing weakness in front of strangers, now can we?”

“You’re sounding more like yourself already.” The ghost of a smile crossed his lips.

A few spells were all she needed to erase the lines on her face and the bags from her eyes, and to style her hair.

“There, that’s more like it,” she said. “Just one more thing…” She reached for a set of ornate robes that were hanging on a rack by the door, and put them on. “There, now I’m a proper Master of the Citadel.”

“Ready?”

“Bring that stack of books,” Diana said, pointing to a side table. “Your friends have some things to learn.”

3 Likes

Glad to see you back

Close to hitting up on that year date since last posted there, Master Dwarf. Glad for the installment update. Can’t help but feel like Jeremiah taking the spotlight here the way he is now might have garnered him some favoritism by or some self-reflection to the author (perhaps the artist is imagining himself as Jeremiah to some extent).

Well done and hope to see more.

Hurrah! Welcome back @Drumnadrochit