Tales of the Company of the Spear (fiction)

Jeremiah’s Tale, part 3

Four years later:

Jeremiah was working on repairing the sheep pen when Melchior arrived home.

“Welcome back,” the younger man said.

Melchior surveyed the damage to the fence around the pen and frowned. “Again?”

Jeremiah nodded. “Werewolf. It tore through the wards, destroyed the fence, and got three sheep before I could stop it. I tossed the corpse behind the barn; we can bury it later. Simon’s out rounding up the sheep that escaped.”

The older man sighed. “It’s as I feared,” he said. “It’s getting worse – everywhere along the frontier of the Deadlands. Monsters, bandits, goblins…”

“And the news from Edessos?” Jeremiah’s eyes betrayed his eager interest.

“Worse and worse. Lord Hector isn’t bothering to protect his tenants out on the borders of his realm, so they’re easy pickings. When they petition him for aid, he simply tells them that they had better pay their rents in full and on time, or else.

Jeremiah’s only response was to spit on the ground.

“It gets worse,” Melchior continued. “Hector rides through Edessos surrounded by his guards, seizing anything that catches his eye and beating anyone who protests. Or killing them.”

“Killing?” Jeremiah’s expression grew dark.

Melchior nodded. “No young woman is safe from Hector’s attentions, and if husbands or brothers or fathers protest…” He drew a finger across his throat sharply. “He’s murdered at least three men already.”

“Something has to be done about him,” Jeremiah said with clenched fists.

“Oh, indeed, something has to be done,” Melchior agreed. “But by whom? In the old days peasants who were abused by their lord could appeal to the King of Windemer. But as there hasn’t been a king for centuries, that’s out of the question. In theory the Lord’s Council now wields the power of the king in trust, but the Lords look out for their own interests. All they would do is give Lord Hector a strongly-worded reprimand. Do you honestly believe that would have any effect on him?”

“I can’t just do nothing,” Jeremiah protested. “I need to go back there.”

“And do what? Take on Hector all by yourself? Jeremiah, you have become a powerful wizard, far more powerful than I am, but you are only one man. Meanwhile Hector has his guards, and wizards of his own.”

Jeremiah stared off into space for a long moment. Then he said, in a slow, contemplative voice, “If he’s as bad as you say then I can’t be the only one who’s angry enough to do something.”

Melchior nodded. “Yes, that’s true. I could feel it when I was there. People in Edessos are simmering with rage. They are about to boil over. But,” he said, suddenly very stern, “think very carefully about what that means, Jeremiah. If the folk of Edessos revolt, there will be much death and destruction, no matter who wins.”

Jeremiah nodded slowly. “And if they would happen to win, and overthrow Hector, then the lordship of Edessos passes to his uncle. Who, by all accounts, is as bad as he is.”

“Yes, now you see the problem.”

“So,” Jeremiah continued, “perhaps the answer is for the people of Edessos to have no lord at all.”

Melchior looked alarmed. “You can’t be serious.”

“I’ve heard of such things. There are independent cities and towns in the world where the people choose their own rulers, electing a mayor to govern them.”

“Do you think for a moment that the Lord’s Council would allow that? They’d send troops to occupy Edessos and oust any elected government. And reprisals against the rebels and anyone connected to them would be harsh in the extreme. Jeremiah,” Melchior said, spreading his hands helplessly, “I can’t risk that. I have a family. I have to protect them.”

“I know,” Jeremiah said.

“And if you are determined to pursue this course…”

“Then I have to leave here, and not come back,” Jeremiah continued. “I know.”

Melchior looked at him, his eyes full of sorrow. “I’m sorry, Jeremiah. I wish I could do more. I’ve tried to teach you as best I could…”

“No need to apologize, my friend. I’ve learned a lot from you.”

“I feel as though I am watching you go to your death,” Melchior said, “and there’s nothing I can do to stop you.”

“Perhaps that’s true. But I have to do this. It’s what you taught me – destroy the bad so that the good has a chance to survive.”

“Is there no other way, Jeremiah?”

“Maybe there is,” the young man said. “Maybe… But I need to go there and see for myself.”

“Susannah and the children will be devastated.”

“I know, and I’m sorry. But I was never going to stay here forever. It’s time for me to go.”

“How soon?”

“Tomorrow,” Jeremiah answered. “Best not to drag this out.”

Melchior suddenly embraced the younger man. “You’ve been like a son to me,” he said. “Go with my blessing and my best wishes for you. But do take care. It’s a dark world out there.”

Jeremiah hugged him back. “I’ll be careful. Besides, dark is what I know best, isn’t it?”

11 Likes