Suspicious tile colour replacements

all Hail to @Kerridoc , a man of infinite patience

9 Likes

Is the complaint just an issue with the the color of the healer, there is no mention of a color stack, more a lack of tiles to healer.

Recently I had a board where I made diamonds of all colore, excepting the color I had stacked. That board looked like a firework display, but never did I get more than a handful of tiles of the color I needed.

2 Likes

He is that. But he’s not just being patient; he’s actually making an excellent recommendation.

If you think there’s a bias in the system, test it! I’ll be happy to help you set up a spreadsheet to do it, I’ll show you how to calculate a 95% confidence interval if you want. I’ll probably even join you in collecting data on the theory (like here and here).

Humans are good at seeking out patterns, but not so good at being able to distinguish between true patterns and false ones. That’s why we collect data, and evaluate hypotheses with statistical tools. It’s just too easy to fool yourself otherwise.

Heck, I get frustrated at runs of bad luck too. My gut tells me the boards are unfair sometimes, even though I’ve got tons of data showing that they really are fair. I’m not unsympathetic to people who feel hard-done-by from the tile engine. But I know enough not to blindly trust my gut.

So I would LOVE it if someone would take up the challenge of testing a hypothesis like this one. I am 100% convinceable. Bring good data, and I’ll believe what it says.

12 Likes

Which is why i never use a 5tack. My typical raid configuration is 3-1-1 oe 3-2. Put a healer in the off-color; if the tiles aren’t tuned for your 3tack, then you at least get the benefit of some healing to extend your raid. If RNGesus smiles on your stacked color, you dont need the healer.

9 Likes

I have been seeing that too, me and my alliance.

1 Like

So it’s not just me then? Something definately seems to have changed recently regarding this?

2 Likes

Like i have said on my post: i am not complaining. They wont change thst anyway. But we are not complete blind sillies who can’t see the obvious manipulation on the boards. It is annoying and unfair to lose just because the game is feeling like making you lose and not because u re a bad player but thats it…

3 Likes

Small giant is always giving us the same old and annoying excuse for everything:

“It’s all RNG it is all random”" and bla bla blah.

Ok, right. We are still playing it because we want, nobody is forcing. But there’s something dirty there and we can see it.

3 Likes

Let’s accept the premise, despite evidence otherwise, that the boards actively and by design work against color stacking.

As good players, we ought to pick a new, more effective strategy then, no?

After all, the premise that a game would be challenging and throw up difficulties isn’t itself unreasonable. So if that is somehow the case, what shifts in play style would make sense to do better with that challenge?

8 Likes

Can you? Great. Please start collecting systematic data. Human brains are funny things: we see patterns where none exist, we forget good things and remember bad outcomes. Please refer to my long post up-thread about how to contribute to a scientific examination of this issue. All else is myth.

13 Likes

Yep. No riot needed, just saying. :slight_smile: we shall move and try other strategy. If the game were very easy it wouldn’t be that cool,too.

1 Like

Nahh calm down, we’re just saying it.

1 Like

Definitely no riot needed. :slight_smile:

So what do you think are alternative strategies that would work better?

For titan hits, does color stacking end up averaging out across hits to be worth the sometimes craptastic result on some of the hits where the board doesn’t cooperate? Or do you think your total score on a given titan across multiple hits would be higher with some different team composition?

2 Likes

Rather than simply declaring what you believe you have seen, perhaps you should start to record data and know for a fact that what you believe is true.

I say this because there is absolute evidence that is linked to in this thread. Have you read that link yet? It will 100% without a doubt convince you that random is as random does. The author tracked all tiles that the game produced stretched out over 500 raids, all with relation to the colors that he brought to the party.

Read it. If you still believe that his evidence is flawed, then collect your own data. Once you have the data from 100+ boards, come back and show us just how mislead we have been. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hmm instead of 5 stack color on titans you can use something like:

Strong color * khiona * strong color * wu kong * wilbur

Khiona for attack boost that stacks with wu kong’s SS and Wilbur for defence.

I have been doing that but it is not as fun as a mono team. But the game doesnt gives us any other choice.

Everybody telling you you’re wrong is just a player. Small Giant has only ever commented once on this subject.

Your position is like saying “Everybody says the earth is round, but we can see it’s actually flat because it looks flat in all directions from where I’m standing.”

The data shows that you’re wrong. And there’s a lot of data there. I even published it to the forum, so you’re welcome to analyze it yourself. Believe whatever you want to believe, I guess. But it looks pretty silly from where I’m sitting.

12 Likes

It’d be interesting to try hitting titans multiple times with that team, and multiple times with your mono team, and see if over time there was a clear advantage to the mixed color team.

Obviously boards vary a lot, so you’d have to look at more than just a couple hits. Maybe every titan for a week or two.

2 Likes

It’s just a curse…lol

1 Like

I love the 5tack! When it works it is such a good feeling. But, part of the fun is knowing it _isn’t _going to work often. The moral is if it is fun, continue to do it. Just know that the probability of success is much lower. You have to know what your priorities are and when to just laugh off a crummy board…or 50. That is part of the fun of RNG. Even if it was just heads and tails, it is possible to get 100 tails in a row. Random is random.

6 Likes