Stop blocking the Android status bar

Just a minute ago my so manyeth fight was cut short (and of course I lost because of that), because my phone closed down. No more battery power. After visualising all the terrible things I could do to my phone to punish it, I suddenly realized that it was not its fault at all. It does warn me. A bit too far ahead though, after this warning I can go on for at least a full hour, so I usually don’t jump up immediately to charge it. And then I forget. So why do I forget? Well, for some reason, the designers of the game thought it was a good idea to block the Android status bar. This is absolutely incredibly annoying. Not only do I miss the moment when the battery power sinks under a couple of percents, I also miss all sorts of notifications because of it. And why? Why does it need to be blocked? Because of the space, those measly couple of pixels in height? I have one of those extra long screens, I have plenty of space. So please please please, at least make it optional. Again, not having the status bar is really, really annoying.

On my android devices I can touch the top of the screen and pull down to see the status bar. Not as good as being able to see it full time, but it’s possible for me to check on the device status that way.

3 Likes

What Paulon said.

No game I’ve ever played displays the status bar at the top.

1 Like

My android phone displays a message box overlay when it goes below 20% battery and it works when I’m playing. I don’t even know if there’s a further warning cause usually I plug alimentation after the first one

I know this is possible, but how often do you actually do that just to check if there’s new?

1 Like

I don’t play many other games, so I wouldn’t know about that. But how is that relevent to the discussion?

1 Like

Mine does so at 15%. That’s well over an hour of game play. If there’s an outlet at hand I’ll plug in too, but I’m usually sitting outside in the garden.

Anyway, I’m not saying it presents me with unsolvable problems, I’m just saying that it can be really annoying at times and that I don’t see a good reason for it why it’s happening in the first place.

1 Like

Generally when I get an alert of some type while playing. I have an audio warning for things I’m interested in which plays even if I’m in an app, so if that goes off I just check the status bar. Otherwise I usually don’t bother unless I need to check the time.

Very relevant to the discussion. No one else designs their games or any app to show the status bar. That’s why you can swipe down from the top edge of the screen to display it.

I’d downvote this idea if I could. HAH

1 Like

“Everybody else does it” is never a good reason by itself, so I still fail to see the relevence.

Ok. Still a bad idea IMO.

1 Like

Why would it be a bad idea to have an extra option that you don’t have to use if you don’t want to?

You can set virtually any android device to cut screen brightness when the battery hits a certain %, when that happens I know to stop playing.

3 Likes

If mine (a Moto 6 plus) has it, I haven’t found it yet. Which may perhaps have something to do with the fact that I’m using the adaptive brightness? Or maybe it always does so, but because of the adaptive brightness I’m too used to changes in the brightness to notice it. Too bad, it souns like a good tip, thanks!

Agree with you. It’s a simple tweak and makes us all happy if it’s optional.

1 Like

Don’t know if this will help, but this app has a battery charge alarm, according to its features description:
Maybe there you can set a custom battery level to be warned when you reach it, not sure however, cause I haven’t installed it

1 Like

I’ve looked into this. It looks to be very interesting app, but the alarm seems to be an alarm for when to STOP charging :wink:

Thanks for pointing it out though, as I said, it looks really interesting.