Starting board

I think I know how to answer the question on the probability of having various numbers of available 3-matches in your main color. But it’s a bit more complicated than figuring out the percentages of starting boards with matches.

I’ll give it some thought in the morning when my brain is functioning at reasonable capacity again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen — and heard others in my alliance mention — boards which shuffle immediately. They’re quite rare, and I bet @Garanwyn will ultimately be able to answer exactly how rare they are.

But I’ve never seen a board that had a match in its starting state, and from my understanding, that’s not allowed.

It’s also worth noting that a board that reshuffles can reshuffle to either a match or an inert state, from my recollection.

1 Like

I have a vague memory of someone posting on the forum about an occasional board with a starting match leaking through the rejection algorithm. But my Google fu is apparently weak.

@Garanwyn Started down the search rabbit hole. Finding interesting things. Coming up for air.

UPDATE: Found some interesting things, but not what you were looking for about a bug in the starting board having an immediate match. It probably exists somewhere, but there are soooooo many complaints about “rigged” boards that it’s hard to find actual info on this topic and not just noise.

2 Likes

You did find what I was looking for, right in the middle:

1 Like

Ok, I saw that, but I couldn’t find confirmation around it that anyone followed up to clarify that there was no shuffle first.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I guess that is an interpretation fully consistent with what was said.

1 Like

I have this board once, I do not think of it as a bad board. As you said, it automatically reshufle, it can be transformed into good/average/bad or it can even be board type 1 and fire itself, so no need to add chance, it is already there.

2 Likes

Well. As conclusion. Let’s say there are range of starting boards: (1) board that have automatic tile combination on the start (not exist due to preventing algorithm) (2)board that have 5 or more possible moves (with chances to appear 24,5% - absolutely theoretically, because I don’t know the odds, will write them with Gauss range) (3)board with 3 possible moves (chance 50%); (4) board that have only 1 possible move (chance to appear 24,5%); and we have 1 percent of (5) no moves board which with reshuffling added 0,25% to previous types and 0,25% of board that have no possible moves, but reshuffled with automatic tile combination (which turns it in non-exist (1). So from this point: odds of (1) is 1:4 of odds of (5) - (or possibly less because there are lowest chance to get double reshuffling).

Since this maybe add to starting board algorithm 0,75% of automatic tile combination (absolutely theoretical numbers, real odds must be in correlation)?

And there is interesting theme arised in conversation. Because of preventing algorithm (boards are inert). But because this algorithm work against RNG (because statistically lots of boards must have automatic tile combination ~80%, all depends on how good that algorithm is) there is may be not Gauss range of odds between starting boards. @Garanwyn Do you know is there are simple method how to count possible tile combination at the start? Or this is only by hand counting? Obviously only world map or raids because of time limit against titan.

Edit: range of starting boards is wider obviously - I am just simplified it for easier to example.