[Special's Rework] to avoid a "Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards" scenario

What would I suggest on this topic?

In this topic I’m asking for a revaluation about special skills, pointing out one of the most evident case of imbalance between similair heroes and their “evolutions” by comparing them to their weaker/stronger counterpart.

Values as ATK, DEF, HP will not be taken into account, this topic is about special’s comparisons and the things we will treat will be the special’s text and his speed.

Hero's details
Zeline
ATK DEF HP speed Special
Zeline 764 688 1308 8 Deals 143% damage to all enemies.
All enemies get -34% attack for 4 turns.
Deals extra damage against Ice.
Remove buffs from all enemies.
Horghall
ATK DEF HP speed Special
Horghall 657 650 1545 12 Deals 225% damage to all enemies.
All enemies get -34% attack for 6 turns.
Skittleskull
ATK DEF HP speed Special
Skittleskull 728 605 969 12 Deals 185% damage to all enemies.
All enemies get -34% attack for 6 turns.
Richard
ATK DEF HP speed Special
Richard 644 817 1260 10 Deals 415% damage to the target and minor damage to nearby enemies.
The target and nearby enemies get -34% attack for 6 turns.
Scarlett
ATK DEF HP speed Special
Scarlett 767 507 1039 8 Deals 215% damage to the target and minor damage to nearby enemies.
The target and nearby enemies get -34% attack for 6 turns.

Horghall VS Skittleskull

• Anger of the Forest - Creeping Vines =
  • +40% damage to all enemies
  • +0 tiles to charge

On Anger of the Forest - Creeping Vines we could see a linear improvement of a special’s skill:
the same utility effect with increased damage%.

Zeline VS Horghall

• Emerald Flash - Anger of the Forest =
  • -82% damage to all enemies
  • -2 turns of -ATK% duration
  • +Deals extra damage against Ice
  • +Remove buffs from all enemies
  • -4 tiles to charge

As we can see for the “quadric” Emerald Flash - Anger of the Forest case the first hero would seem to lose a good amount of damage to offset the fact of extra effects but, due to the mana reductions, the effectiveness isn’t lowered by too much and some simple suggestions could be the following:

• to decrease the tiles needed by the underperforming special
  • to increase his damage
  • to add extra effects

Extra effects greatly improves heroes’ viability as they would add more combinations and synergies and stacked effects are generally more valuables than a tiny bit of special’s damage%.

Richard VS Scarlett

• Cloud Hammer - Blade Barrage =
  • +200% damage to the target and minor damage to nearby foes
  • +2 tiles to charge

On Cloud Hammer - Blade Barrage we find the opposite case, while still maintaining the same effect the special will require more tiles to activate, worsening his utility effect.

Again the solutions would be the same as the only other way would be to add separate effects as the family ones or the upcoming classes changes (but this wouldn’t solve the issue at the core of the problem)

• to decrease the tiles needed by the underperforming special
  • to increase his damage
  • to add extra effects

My “solutions”

My suggestion is to add more speed tiers to balance with ease underperforming effects or, if adding more speeds would be problematic, to rework the specials of underwhelming heroes.

A former-slow-hero would be too strong with a 11.5 charging skill but still bad for 12?
Tweak the damage% / effects (on intensity, not duration) / something else

The ones here above were just a simple comparison, Im sure that peoples more knowledgeable than me would figure out a better solution but to me anything goes to achieve a better balance.

End of the suggestion

My%20Job

Would be interesting to see what other comparisons and suggested solutions players come up with

1 Like

This seems to be a strong argument for, not necessarily reworking a hero altogether, but for leaving their attack, defense, and health values as is while instead adjusting their special skills. This seems a very interesting discussion to be had. Which heroes do you believe to have underperforming effects?

Personally, I only have access to very few 4* and none of the 5* heroes as yet, while I’ve used nearly all of the 3* and 2* heroes.

I believe that:

1. +defense is incredibly powerful. Olaf is the most powerful 2* and Kailani’s Spirit Link has revolutionized my titan strikes even before she’s maxed.
  2. Blind effects are not overly powerful, but are desirable.
  3. Mana reduction effects are incredibly useful.
  4. Balthazar’s straight-damage special versus Tyrum’s damage + dispel… that dispel reduces Tyrum’s damage so much that if given the choice between the two I will 95% of the time choose Balthazar. I feel like SG overvalues Dispel.

So yeah - which heroes and which special effects do you consider in need of adjustment?

1 Like

Mainly specials of 5* core heroes, you can find here some of my suggestions:

Even I believe so, but you will not find anyone comparing 2* heroes as there are no premium counterparts :slight_smile:

For Kailani we could only compare her with Wilbur and Wilbur is a true “sir quadric” hero.

Seems like they have two weights two measures as we could see for Zeline and Domitia case. Domitia gains +45% special damage over Sonya but reducing her dispel to maximum 3 targets and she put a holy defense buff to herself and nearby heroes by worsening her special speed by one tier.

1 Like

@CheTranqui, what’s about Toril that adds powerful to attack. That special affects also troops strikes, I suppose. Mine 2* blue Toril offers +48% of attacks for 4 turns. Also Olaf 2* is a blue hero but different classes.