Small Personal Victories (AKA The Ridiculous Ridiculous Bragging Thread Where Lowbies Like Me Can Brag About Stuff That Upper Level Players Don't Think Is Worth Bragging About)

I figured you would opt in to friendly battles… I suspect amrath and the bardians will as well. We can leave the non-warring members out of the mix for now, unless they specifically request to have their teams tested.

1 Like

Thank you! I am however fully expecting 2021 to be dry like 2019. I only get HOTM’s in even years :rofl:. Come on 2022!!

2 Likes

I will need good luck with it, as it’s close to a blind spot for her. She has issues taking instruction from me in many areas, except with computer & financial things; I’m a former CFO & computer sysadmin, and am her financial adviser & tech support. One of those areas in explaining rules to boardgames, which is honestly utterly bizarre to me.

I can count on one finger the number of people (her) who have issues with that, but I need more limbs to count the number of people who want me to “quickly read the rules & explain as we go”. I am not technically a professional gamer, but I compete in tourneys a lot, and have done so since the 1980’s. I run a boardgaming club. I am a go-to guy for rules questions for literally hundreds of people.

So I’m trying to just answer questions, and show her things, as they unlock. Trying to remember what unlocks when early on isn’t easy.

1 Like

I don’t have anywhere close to the experience that you do, but I have helped train many new players in this game. I was also a trainer at my previous job, so… I’m fairly comfortable with the role.

Be prepared to be patient, and answer a lot of seemingly simple questions. Remember the old adage, there is no such thing as a stupid question. I love it when my trainees ask basic questions, because it shows me that they are at least trying to understand instead of just pretending to understand. Patience is key; some people will pick up on things faster than others, a lot depends on their own gaming experience.

Many of the E&P newbies that I’ve trained had very little experience with games - maybe they were familiar with match 3, but had no idea how leveling works (no role playing game experience)… there are so many aspects to this game that a longtime player doesn’t even have to consciously think about any more, but it can be overwhelming to a new player.

And after training several of them from basically account infancy? I can say for sure that the game’s own tutorial does a horrible job at training new players. Some of the tile moves it tells you to make, for example, are completely counterintuitive and just really, really bad. It’s no wonder so many new players come into the game with so many bad habits. They were just doing what the game told them to do.

1 Like

I’m being very patient. She’s itching to buy Presents from Rudolph, and thinks she might spend on this regularly. She hasn’t played Candy Crush since starting.

I agree with everything you said except this. Sadly, there are both stupid questions and stupid people; they often travel together.

Questions such as:
“Why aren’t you taller?” - I’m 5’9" and the tallest person in my immediate family, and only have one taller cousin that I know of.

“Why did you only get a A on that test?” - said to me multiple times by my aunt who helped raise me growing up. She once asked why I only got a grade of 100%.

“Are you sure you’re actually (inset my name)?” - From a college recruiter because I wasn’t the ethnicity they were expecting - I have blue eyes, dirty blond hair. Followed up by some insensitive ethnic questions.

“Does this (insert clothing article) make me look (insert adjective)?” - had to add this one.

1 Like

LOL, okay, yes there are stupid questions. But when it comes to the game itself: some things that seem like stupid questions to most of us, are actually legitimate questions for someone who doesn’t understand how the game works. And it’s better that they ask those questions and get a proper answer to them rather than continue to play the game incorrectly.

A basic example of what might be considered a “stupid question” in this game: “aren’t red tiles supposed to do double damage against blue heroes?”

No, no. Red tiles do extra damage to green heroes, green to blue, blue to red. Purple and yellow to each other.

Experienced players might consider these “simple” aspects of the game to be “common sense”… we might even point out the little icon thingy in the training tutorial that is supposed to explain it… but not every new player catches on to this concept.

I would much prefer for someone to ask me “which color beats which color?”, rather than have them make their own assumptions and continue to play the game ineffectively.

1 Like

My ridiculous brag for today… I FINALLY got my kitsune avatar.

I know it’s just an avatar and won’t make any difference to anything when it comes to game play, but I have wanted this one FOREVER!!!

6 Likes

True, it is cosmetic only. However, it is a game achievement, AND it brings you joy! Congrats! :+1::smile:

4 Likes

Congratulations @LouisaB75! I love the kitsune. I want this one too, but always forget until the very end of Atlantis. Which province did you farm?

1 Like

I had the same problem in keeping forgetting. Which is probably why it has taken me so long to get it. I farmed 10.1 for them. I don’t know if that is the best one for them, but it is the first one they appeared at. It also has the Kirin for the boss so I was doing that mission at the same time.

I hope you get your kitsune too.

2 Likes

After long time trying and trying, today i managed to hit 700+ points in war :scream: :scream:
Yeah, it’s a war with 20ish players per side, so it’s “easy” to get high results by picking carefully which enemy attack. Nonetheless i’m quite proud, cause i have to defeat all 4k and more teams and i have to do it with mostly 4*. I can put up just a couple of teams with more than one 5*.
And now i can stop bragging cause we’ll probably still lose the war :joy:

5 Likes

3 months later, I just completed Shilo desert for the first time. Mono Purple and used just one lot of arrows and one antidote… I’ve only just got to the stage where these quests are winnable. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

with all the announced changes such as OP Season 4 heroes, and costumes for some of the best and hardest-to-get heroes in the game, I have a bad taste in my mouth.

I have been trying to look at the bright side: i still enjoy playing the game as I don’t have expectations of competing at the very top, I stay in low Diamond to avoid being attacked by bullies with tons of +20 killer heroes, and I am in an amazing alliance.

thought I would cheer myself up by seeing how my roster of 5*s has grown in the past 3 months.

Let’s begin with

1. Francine came along with my 5th EHT pull in Halloween, making me jump out of bed! She’s since been maxed and has replaced Gregorion in my defense, due to her faster speed and very useful 3-turn cleanse.

2. I got 12 scopes, and mused between Richard w/ costume and Magni without costume… and the costume won out. Richard is now my new tank, replacing Aegir (except for Buff Booster tourneys, where Aegir’s 4 buffs counting Element Link skyrocket my team’s attack). I am holding slightly more cups now!

3. Another lucky EHT in Christmas gave me Santa Claus, which made me squeal with delight, nearly giving my boyfriend a heart attack! Now I have one Seasonal 5* per season, woot woot! Santa has proved lovely on the world map, with twin debuffs and minions helping keep my team alive. He also joins my defense in Very Fast tourneys.

Oh, and I also pulled… a 2nd Santa !!! Well, why not!

1. Finally, Marjana is getting an upgrade with her new costume, from a lucky Keys pull last costume chamber! I just ascended the costume, and it’s soon to be maxed!

2. and the missing vanilla hero list falls by one… as Khagan comes along. He came along before Santa, but Santa got the Rings before him. Khagan is currently 2/60 as I prioritized Santa, then Marjana. Khagan will at least go to 3/70 while I decide between him or a 2nd Marjana with costume.

3. finally, I had 12 Tabards so went with dupe Sartana and her costume. Now I have one Sartana each for two mono Purple war attack teams :slight_smile: She is so far my only dupe ascended 5*, no regrets (Joon and Marjana are also contenders).

4. and because I missed it… Domitia’s costume popped out, though I held off on ascending her as I only had 9 Tabards at the time. still, with costume bonus she becomes essentially fast, and I could use more bite in my second Purple mono war team…

Several dupes have also come along: Domitia, Isarnia, Magni, Marjana, Elkanen… and my 4th (!!!) Joon AND Richard.

New tally:

15 + 4 = 19 ascended 5 s. 41 total 5s, 27 of them unique. (16 vanilla, 1 Atlantis, 4 Seasonal, 6 HOTM, still zero Valhalla or Challenge Event).

• Ascended: Inari, Margaret, Lepus, Seshat, Marjana w/ costume, Joon w/ costume, Aeron, Aegir, Gregorion, Rana, Elena, Isarnia, Sartana w/ costume, Malosi, Azlar, Francine, 2nd Sartana w/ costume, Richard w/ costume, Santa Claus
  • Parked at 3/70 or lower: Domitia, Leonidas, Kadilen, Elkanen, Justice, Horghall, Obakan, Magni, Khagan, dupes of Santa Claus + Sartana + Elena + Kadilen + Isarnia + Domitia + Elkanen + Marjana + Magni, and quadruplets (!!!) of Richard + Joon
  • Sartana, Joon, Richard, Marjana and Domitia have costumes

The only missing vanillas are Lianna, Vivica, Thorne and Quintus.

Not too shabby for an FTP roster…

4 Likes

Geez and here I was coming to brag about getting Mist and Stonecleave on 2 pulls from Valhalla …

3 Likes

if it helps, my last 6 Valhalla pulls only gave me dupe Shadereave AND five 3*s…

to date I only have 2x Brynhild, Shadereave (fed the dupe away) and Fura as Valhalla 4*s… that’s after at least 30 pulls

2 Likes

In addition to Mist and Stonecleave I also have Mireweave and Shadereave – all the bodiless armor suits :grin:

1 Like

nice! good colllection there…

i really want at least Mist and Almur. Gullinbursti too…

I can’t wait to max them all to see how they work together – maybe with C.Rigard.

I got back to back titan scores over 100k. Neither one is a record on it’s own, but I have never backed to backed. This was on a 10* purple.

:beers:

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Someone was talking about Ameonna in a similar team elsewhere on the forums and doing an all ghost team. That would be fun! It’s good to mix it up :+1:

:beers:

2 Likes