Shouldn't hit all? [how Finley repeat attack works (ends on a miss)]

Sure enough, finley stops hitting. Even though the description doesn’t say that’s how it should operate.

Is this intended or a bug? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

4 Likes

Our closest comparison here is Misandra, as I’d argue that their abilities should behave universally similar in regards to how they hit multiple enemies.

So my question would be: does she stop hitting if she misses a chain strike? :thinking:

From there, we can say whether it’s intended or not.

Though from a gameplay perspective, Finley is already quite a powerhouse :stuck_out_tongue: I wouldn’t mind if blindness put him on a walking stick (so to speak)

2 Likes

Misandra’s chain strike is based on chance though(both if a chain strike occurs and also the number of hits up to 4), not if enemies have buffs applied.

I’ve seen misandra miss more than once as part of her chain strike myself. Don’t have vid of it tho.

3 Likes

Hmm, you’re right… her’s has an activation chance, whereas Finley’s activation is based on a different condition.

Not sure if it’s a bug then. It seems quite intentional to me though, just thinking about the way the ability works… the game must be checking to see if Finley did damage, and if he did, seek another target that hasn’t been hit yet with buffs (or a random one without buffs). Key here being though that the game is checking to see if he did damage.

2 Likes

No mention of a missed hit stopping the chain though. If this is intended, then what other specials have or will have these kind of quirks that aren’t documented?

3 Likes

Mine didn’t say “miss” or even tried to hit another
simply hit Belith and stopped

Hmm really odd…possibly a bug that might have been fixed now. I even had Boomer resurrect as a Zombie when I first faced him in the event and Marie was not even there. I tried again to try to film it but unfortunately it seemed it was a one off.

1 Like

Dealing damage to the target is the cause, targetting another is the effect.
He have to deal damage (be it reduced or not) to attack another target…

The special is to read as it follows:

• Deals X% damage to he target
    • did the target took damage? Y/N
    • were it buffed? Y/N
      • Y/Y attack another target with buffs
      • Y/N attack a random enemy
  • Deals X% damage to he target (reduced)(chain)
  • Hitted targets gets -34% defense

Another possibility is the “Hits each target only once” part. What happens to his special if his new target has been hit already? Say this sequence:

1. he hits Belith as his first target
  2. targets and misses her ally
  3. targets Belith as “another hero with buffs” from second target. Special ends because she’s already been hit

In this sequence, the special would fizzle with Belith as the only hero to get hit, right?

1 Like

It’s all a bunch of supposition at this point.

@Petri any chance for some clarification?

2 Likes

I just thought of something else. The second part of the special says “If the target has buffs, targets another enemy.” We’re all assuming the original target is excluded in the selection of the second target, but what if its not?
Perhaps Belith was the second target and the special ended because she had already been hit.

@Petri any way you can clarify this for us?

1 Like

The way I see it, the blind could have been a factor for Finlay not hitting. From the description, it says that generally, it should chain between multiple buffed enemies. My best guess at what happened that the next strike the blind kicked in and broke it. Otherwise it should have hit everybody.

1 Like

This bugger hit all of my heroes when all of them were buffed. Crazy when I forgot to stop him.

1 Like

@AirHawk Yup, very easy to forget about as his chaining is dependent on buffs rather than rng chance like Misandra.

1 Like

Looks like we’re going to have to open a support case to get clarification on this. Who wants to take one for them team?

1 Like

The more I look at the comments on this situation, the more certain I am that it picked Belith as the second target, ending the special because she has already been hit.

Here’s my reasoning:

1. It’s the only way that it would end without a Miss or damage coming on another hero.
  2. A gurantee that it would hit everybody with a buff would make him very OP and we have seen this too often for it to be guaranteed
  3. they wouldn’t have “Each enemy can only be hit once” on the card unless it was possible to target the same enemy more than once.

Thoughts on this?

Edit:

Click for original post

Bug

Rumor from beta says Finley hits all enemies with buffs once, then 1 enemy without buffs, then stops.

BUT. Finley hits random eligible enemies because of his damage reduction each hit and counterattack/ reflect damage. In my opinion the v23 check for counterattack broke Finley or check for Finley broke attack all enemies.

(If counterattack kills hero while casting AOE or splash damage, AOE or splash damage may not hit rightmost hero(es))

So I think this is a bug, but Devs could decide it is a feature.

RNG

Edit:

Rumor from beta says Finley hits all enemies with buffs once, then 1 enemy without buffs, then stops.

With a -35% accuracy, Finley has a 1 in 67 ( 0.35^4 = 0.015 ) chance of missing 4 times. Approximately the chance of getting a Classic 5* hero with an Epic Hero Token.

2 Likes

I like this reasoning, but this tells me that either the code or the text for his special is wrong. The text reads, “targets another enemy with buffs.” So in the OP’s case, Finley ought to target someone other than Belith.

Now, I could see him hitting Belith, hitting someone else, and then trying to hit Belith again and stopping, but even that seems inconsistent with what I would expect.

Wait, I think I got it! @Joroc You had Gunnar’s buff up to share damage. Finley hit Belith, and she took the debuff, but everyone shared the damage. The code saw that Finley had dealt damage to everyone and he stopped the chain.

Edit: maybe not on my last theory - here’s a post with video of someone raiding with Finley against Aegir, and he hits all five targets.

3 Likes

I think you got it!!

It seems to be a bug.
My feeling is a mistake in the algorithm.
If he misses a hit, he doesn’t check if the hero is buffed and behave like it is not.

But only a developer can say if he is working by design or this it is a glitch.

@Petri , @mhalttu could you please support?

1 Like