Should slow heroes be stronger?

This meta has shifted more and more towards fast and very fast heroes over time. What was once a solid average/slow hero is now meh due to the increased demands for faster heroes. Nearly every slow hero discussion on this forum (besides maybe Kunchen and Yunan) is filled with people being disgruntled that they are slow and they won’t end up using them.

Nearly every hotm is average and faster. Only Kunchen and Miki have ever been made slow. If the power creep keeps making the meta faster and faster, then shouldn’t the slow and very slow heroes be buffed further to compensate for their slower speed? I feel as if most slow specials would be completely balanced as an average hero nowadays. I feel if a hero needs to be slow, that means that their special should be devastating compared to fast/very fast specials. That’s very very rarely the case.

Are we just basically phasing out slow heroes (besides a select few) competitively? Are the majority of slow heroes just going to be used with FtP people and used on 5th string war teams?

13 Likes

Why are there no very slow hotms? Why is Miki and Kunchen the only slow hotms? I would love a slow/extra slow hotm that is devastating if it goes off - proving why it is so important that they are very slow to be balanced.

2 Likes

Lady of the Lake isn’t far off from what you describe.

Her special is very punishing. Maybe it’s already happening?

6 Likes

Oh wow, I for some reason thought she was average and was more aligned with Ariel as a healer than Viv/Kunchen. Well, I am very happy to know now that Lotl is a slow hero!

Onatel is also a slow hero (the month before Kunchen). Although, once you meet the condition of her firing once, her mana siphon ability will help her charge more rapidly.

1 Like

I’d like to state, that in general, I know the game isn’t going to make an update making all the slow heroes badass overnight nor do i expect them to buff any of them. This forum and this post is just for general discussion and hoping discussion about the competitive meta game in general and it’s lack of competitive slow heroes compared to fast ones.

I know the change won’t happen or it’ll take a long long time, I just would like the competitive meta game to shift away from all the very fast and fast heroes and back to the average heroes with some badass slow and very slow heroes mixed in

1 Like

Onatel is an average hero. I thought she was slow too so i add to double check before posting this

5 Likes

If Jean comes out as is, and at fast, I don’t even know what a slow hero would need to do to be able to do to stay “competitive”. Dispel all abilities, even non dispelable and fire off a nuke that can damage everyone by 700+ … oh wait, that hero is coming also haha. I think slow heroes still have value but it is harder to use them if they are classic and squishy… heroes like north and lady and kunchen do well because of their great defense. It’s an interesting balancing act that they should be paying some attention to with how many classics are slow. (Justice, horg, azlar, elana, quint, viv, isarnia, etc). And honestly, average speed heroes (unless you have a 23 mana) might as well be considered slow as well… good luck Sg.

3 Likes

Ah, I believe you. Maybe she was slow in beta or something (I don’t have her).

In terms of the discussion at hand, faster heroes are always going to have a leg up because needing less tiles to charge means that more boards are favorable to use them. Vice versa, on defense, they will provide less moves to the opponent before punishing them.

Very few heroes have been able to balance a slow mana speed with a special powerful enough to warrant use while also not having their skill be an ‘instant win’.

2 Likes

FWIW, something very similar is being discussed here: No more very slow mana

3 Likes

Thank you for that reference. It’s an interesting thought , I feel like we are in the same mind space though I want more of them rather than get rid of them. Not necessarily over flood everyone with solely very slow heroes for the next year, but a gradual increase in more slow and very slow heroes

You’re exactly right that this is a problem, and it’s been pronounced for a long time. As more time goes on and more heroes come out, it’s only been made worse.

Quintus, Horghall, Justice, Elena, Khagan…

It’d be nice if the game designers would address the severe imbalance—I’d hoped that the class or the upcoming costume feature might afford them a chance—but they have until now not meaningfully addresses the problem. A minor mana boost via classes, a 5-10% damage bump, but that’s about it.

3 Likes

Also, class balance walled behind RNG is a crappy way to balance.

6 Likes

Yes

1 Like

I think alberich is well balanced

3 Likes

Yes. He’s not recent so I didn’t include him in the longer list post I wrote and deleted, but has maintained his place mostly due to being 1 of 3 5* resurrecting heroes (1 of 2 true resurrections). MN and Santa are less than 1 year old, which is crazy to think about.

20 Agreements (no longer needed for the post length.)

1 Like

And grazul completely shuts down many of the slow tanks with nasty effects. Since she charges so fast

@MysterySpin is here! Hoorah this will be good

1 Like

Technically the 5% mana boost from costumes will mean that if you equip level 29+ mana troops to a Classic slow hero that has the mana costume bonus you can trim their tiles to charge down to 10 tiles effectively making the Average.

Now the issues are to 1. Get the right costume and 2. Get the mana troops to level 29.

Just have to hope with the later that SGG follows through on making troops producible from the Hero Academy.

3 Likes

Oh dear, now I feel like I’m gonna disappoint with the quick clarification before bed…

Edit: OK this might spice it up, either this may be as incendiary as napalm to this topic or actually not too bad of an idea (too tired to tell at this point but others may have fun with it) but what if the costs of embleming up a hero depended not just on what rarity it is but also it’s mana speed? Would some slow 5* heroes become more attractive if it cost you half the emblems to power than say a very fast 5* or would you not even bother with the Mats on any additional slowies?

5 Likes