SG Customer unAppreciation Day: recurring

Looks like @BobTheSnark taking the ‘scenic route’ from Zynga Towers :rofl:

3 Likes

You win this month’s Sesquipedalian Award!

Congrats!

4 Likes

This is the crux of the matter. To paraphrase: it’s their game and we’re just playing in it.

Before, there was at least some form of communication

As hero-dump and offer-splash continues apace, it feels less like we’re customers and more like cash-cows. No customer wants to feel ignored, or even worse, gas-lighted.

@BobTheSnark 's drum is #52raresayear.

Mine is communication. Just treat us as people and valued customers, rather than commodities. There’s enough vitriol and discontent on the forum and socials, just have a community manager to address it.

I get frustrated because I love the game.

9 Likes

Wow, looking at that gem cost makes me feel a bit ill!

3 Likes

SG does nothing wrong per some.

As much as I hate it, the only barometer SGG truly consider for whether they’re doing right or wrong is the size of the green number in the financial report.

At the end of the day, it’s a business - but a lot of businesses have lately been blinded by short-term profit goals rather than less important things like customer retention.

A former Blizzard Entertainment developer, who worked on StarCraft 2, mused that he had spent two years of non-stop overtime work on the game - which eventually made less profit than a single shiny horse mount in World of Warcraft (sold at 15-20$ depending on the market). So the corporate lesson was “what’s the point in developing proper content, if we can churn out cheap collectibles and make massive bank?”

Sometimes it backfires quickly.

The Escapist Magazine, a web outlet dedicated to gaming and other modern media, just fired their editor-in-chief for “not meeting goals”, which was corporate speak for “refusing to compromise content quality for advertiser friendliness”. That was followed by the entire content creator team quitting on the spot, essentially ending the business right there.

As for this game, hard to say when there’ll be a tipping point where short-term strategy will fail to keep up with consequences of forsaking long-term goals.

But when it comes, I have a good idea what will happen.

I’ve played a different gacha game at its sunset, and when they announced the servers would shut down in a month, they released a “memorial portal”. It was still the same price for summon, and the odds were still crap.

9 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::joy: did many players bite ?

2 Likes

Their long term goals are to make other games. No game lasts for ever. We’re not playing games that are 10-20 years old.

I don’t really know. I saw that in-game news item, had a sensible chuckle, and closed it forever.

1 Like

I dunno, I still fire up Deux-ex and Baldur’s Gate every so often.

1 Like

Oh… I pull up old games all the time. I just don’t pay a company to do it. It’s no longer a business decission. I’m no longer a customer.

Speak for yourself… i still play Mario Kart an SFII on snes, and Golden Axe on Mega Drive :rofl:

2 Likes

Fair. And look I think we all appreciate the situation, but sometimes you have to fight for something - especially when it flies in the face of common sense.

@Eldente’s post is a great example. We know that the Devs are probably disillusioned and this is all driven by the suits, but it doesn’t mean we can’t show our discontent. I’ll carry on playing till it’s not fun. I just like to use my voice.

2 Likes

I am currently playing Pokemon Yellow on this

3 Likes

Couple of times a year maybe, I dig out my Gameboy Advanced (the crappy first draft that wasnt backlit) to play Speedball II. Such a great game.

“ICE CREAM, ICE CREAM!”

(Anyone old enough to get that reference is clearly a cool MF like me).

3 Likes

20 characters of BRUTAL DELUXE

1 Like

If I was running my own alliance here, that would be the name :rofl:

With honourable mentions for Steel Fury, Violent Desire and Fatal Justice.

Super Nashwan can eat a bowl…

Edit: i should defintely have made my game name be Roscopp

1 Like

:joy::joy: Go look at how old World of Warcraft is.

1 Like

Yes same, it’s like seeing ads on tv constantly offering stuff, especially with annoying tunes/songs, it doesn’t make me want to buy the product, it has the opposite effect and makes me want to run 100 miles away from it, because I just associate “annoyance” with it

2 Likes

Anyone else here playing Roblox or Minecraft?