Seshat’s unfortunate name spelling

Does anyone else read Seshat’s name wrong, or is it just me? Every time I see her, in my head I read her name as Sheshat, I giggle a little, then wonder if she needs a change of pants! :joy:

14 Likes

I was going to laugh at you for being silly, then I remembered that I always used to read “Domitia” as “Dominita”. I also call “Melendor” “Melonballer”, but that’s intentional.

4 Likes

I’ve been calling her Sheshat or Shesat since I got her. Sheshat seashells by the seashore.

8 Likes

Seshat, under various spellings (Including Safkhet, Sesat, Seshet, Sesheta, and Seshata) was the ancient Egyptian goddess of wisdom, knowledge, and writing. She was seen as a scribe and record keeper, and her name means she who scrivens (i.e. she who is the scribe), and is credited with inventing writing. She also became identified as the goddess of accounting, architecture, astronomy, astrology, building, mathematics, and surveying.

In fact, if you see her name spelled in Heiroglyphics, it has the seated women symbol (which means female or woman) along with her 7 horned emblem symbol, together which signifies that it is Seshat.

27 Likes

Thanks, that is interesting!

1 Like

I used to read Domitia’s name wrong too. For the longest time I read it as Domilita. I finally figured it out when I had a hard time finding her on a google search!

1 Like

@ThePirateKing

Clearly, the Egyptian goddess is not the same one we have in the game. The one we have is the Reanimated Huntress, who does not have the features described by the Egyptian mythos. Maybe the one we have in the game is based on an original character designed by Small Giants or from a different one inspired from other games, literature, etc. But the name is uncannily the same with that of the Egyptian version.

EDIT: Maybe she is based on the Undying Huntress since both are archers, have conjuration as their skill and “summons” a minon (for Seshat) or corpse (for Undying Huntress).

1 Like

It is highly likely that she based on the Egyptian goddess, same as Thoth-Amun (another HOTM) whose name is an amalgamation of two famous Egyptian Gods - Thoth & Amun. In fact, guess what the name of Seshat’s father is - it’s Thoth. Coincidence or not? We will never know. But, it makes sense that both Thoth-Amun and Seshat has similar powers. Probably a likely explanation is that to prevent any copyright issues, they just changed their designs to be both as undead with minions. :slight_smile:

Tons of games make character designs inspired by ancient Gods/Goddesses (Egyptian, Greeks, Norse, etc). We already have the Greek and Norse Gods in this game, so it’s not farfetched to assume that they have characters inspired by Egyptian Gods as well. But ofcourse, it’s all a specualtion and I could be totally wrong :slight_smile:

12 Likes

It may very well be a copyright issue. I am sure most people have noticed Bruce Lee (opps, I mean Drake Fong), and various other famous icons used in character design.

2 Likes

This is where you lost me. Except the name alone, nothing of the Egyptian goddess does E&P’s Seshat have any similarity or resemblance. It’s like creating a hero name Trump but does not have anything of sort or semblance to the current US President. I don’t know about copyright issues, but the well known characters from the usual mythologies (Norse, Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc.) are not subject to one since they are based on to characters (real or imaginary) more than 2,000 years ago (but I may be mistaken). But my theory is bolstered due to the existence of Perseus, Athena, Delilah, Hel, Ares, Leonidas, Ariel, Poseidon, S3 heroes, etc. I don’t know whether SG has made arrangements with the creator of Snow White, Hansel, Gretel, Musashi, etc. As for Drake Fong, his uncanny resemblance to Bruce Lee is something SG may have intentionally avoided.

2 Likes

There are others too, like Natalya. She looks an awful lot like Vampirella. I forget the others that I have noticed.

Edit:
Gandalf!! Melendor looks just like Gandalf! I can’t believe I forgot that one!

Don’t forget Merida, sorry I mean Evelyn. It is amazing they haven’t been sued

They should make King Fergus and Queen Elinor. A queen that turns into a bear for her special? :grinning:

Could even go with Mordu as a hero

3 Likes

I think she will be part of the future poo family bonuses once they release Fecalia and Defecatia out of beta (don’t get too attached).

2 Likes

Don’t forget about Fartmund and Shartrella and Little Bo Toot

3 Likes

I’m gonna have to look up Merida now. I have never heard of her.

Reminds me of a movie I heard about called Constipation. It hasn’t come out yet. :joy::joy:

1 Like

Other characters in the movie had the same blue face paint and there is the “Brave” in her E&P description

3 Likes

Black Knight - Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and they’re not even hiding it with the “it’s just a flesh wound” special

4 Likes

I forgot about about that one too! The black night scene was my favorite part of the movie as a teen!

1 Like

I think you are definitely right about that one! I completely missed it.