September 2022 Balance Update - Discussion

Xnol was a very good hero but just became superb after releasing the magic troops which I have 1 of. Imo this is again a big developer’s mistake. Or a new selling point for the magic troops. I don’t know but I really cannot understand this from a player’s view.

THANK YOU SGG from the bottom of my heart !

I’d been praying for this Xnolphod nerf, it’s very much welcome and will for sure bring some much needed fresh air in Alliance Wars. Defenses were just too fast it wasn’t funny anymore…So thank you :slight_smile:

The only thing I could argue against is of course the timing…I have a thought for those out there who just finished maxing/LBing him after pulling him fairly recently. But TBH, the nerf was foreseeable, so people who chased him last time knew this could happen and pulled anyways…

Also, I’m super happy with the buffs ! I already found teams for Toth and JF, considering LBing them right now…

Curious to see how Neith will behave in defense too !

1 Like

What ruins competitive integrity is the manipulation of the game to get people to have to spend money to keep up. Their reasoning behind this one just wasn’t good enough. They basically said people aren’t spending to get the new heroes so we’ll nerf this really good hero to force their hand.

7 Likes

That’s the problem, there is not a lot of counters for xnol. The only way to counter him is to kill him quickly and dent his healing with healing reduction. While I believe this is a fairer approach, (xnolphod was almost broken in design to begin with) it’s so late to nerf him and the reasons to why they did this was really a scummy move

8 Likes

oh, also, the last 2 yellow, and upcoming yellow HOTM are supposed to deal with Alfrike. don’t see a nerf there though. doesn’t SG data show in any vfast she wrecks, just like they nerfed treevil?

2 Likes

Grimble in 9 tiles will charge up Ludwig just fine against minion teams

1 Like

There is a point in time I believe where the top players were pretty much abusing their dupe xnolphod’s in events and breezing past event stages like towers as if it was nothing. Xnolphod has always been a broken hero from paper and it took them until now to fix the problem.
While I agree heroes should never be touched once published, xnolphod is a special case where he was too broken for certain modes

6 Likes

They do their fair share of trickery to promote spending, much like buffing a family of heroes “coincidentally” right before their respective portals, no doubt.

However, I don’t believe this is the case here in particular - it’s just that having four Xnolphods (and there’s a LOT of people who do) enables an endless loop where you don’t have to match tiles after the first special goes off. Less if there’s a “gain mana on casting a special” blessing in play. You literally can’t keep the game this way.

1 Like

Neith is updated (A big thank you from the bottom of my heart).
JF is not aware yet… The turns are updated but damage is not what it says

4 Likes

Agree. I think he’s still the only hero in the game that does this, and that’s why I traded for him in the first SE. I don’t use him as much as I thought I would - maybe I will post-buff - but when you really need that ailment flip, it’s pretty darn sweet!

I have him emblemed to +18 on the def/HP path, and I’m only showing 462 DoT after the buff went live. I have to assume 552 is at +20, all attack, and LB. SGG should be clear about this. @Petri, there seems to be a lot of confusion here. Can you clarify?

1 Like

I still dont see how Toth, Salmon or Red Hood are useful after so called buffs.

Nerfing Xnol is just the Modus operandi for the bait and switch game owners. Take your money and then change the terms.

Neith buff they may of actually got something right…guess a blind squirrel can get a nut.

1 Like

Nerfs used to be very rare so Was more understandable that they wouldn’t allow you to reset your ascension mats but now with the frequency in which they nerf and buff heroes they really need to start to giving out reset tokens for ascension mats and if they want limit it to one hero a month but the way it is now their strategies is as shady as F**k. Not enough people pulled for Hawthorne?

5 Likes

Tired of this nonsense every month. Strong urge to move on. Pure bs

3 Likes

The damage includes full attack emblems and LB (assuming here). With full attack emblems this is what I have.

As for the defense protection, it gives you 5 turns of protection. So within any of those 5 turns, if you get hit with a defense down, you get 4 turns of + defense up. They don’t have to be the same and the notes state only the protection side that triggers the defense buff goes from 4 to 5 turns. Not the actual defense buff.

2 Likes

Dear SG,

I really have no problem with balance updates and I can fully understand that, if the meta changes or the combination with other heroes, results in a situation where nerfs are needed. Iam totally fine with it.

BUT

if you gonna reconsider and change the specials / stats of the hero you should allow the playerbase to rethink their decision (limitbreak, emblems, ascension) as well.

Everything else will end in resentment against further balance updates and make people leave the game.

17 Likes
  1. Xno has done his money grab mission excellently for months so it is time to let him retire, normal move from SGG.

2. Buff the WO3K heroes on June then nerf them again after 3 months, seems like they have completely give up on this chaos event already.

3. Buffing old heroes are good, but i really don’t like how SGG doing it, it seems like they just pick a hero randomly and make a buff, look at Ninja family, they buffed Jade but igonore Mica completely, now they buffed Thoth Amun, a good move, but ignore others hotms again, now Thoth Amun at fast speed dealing 280% x3, meanwhile Malicna at average speed is dealing 260% x3, and not to mention that poor Reuben…can’t u just buff them all?

5 Likes

I’m a little confused with the claims of “bait and switch” for a hero that’s been around for a long time. This isn’t the same as the Kalo experience we had. Xnol wasn’t released two weeks ago. Yes, he’s still available in the Underwild portal so by this “bait and switch” concept. If they nerfed him 2 years from now after an Underwild portal, it would have been “bait and switch”? Come on now.

It’s been dreadfully obvious Xnostrils has been one of the main issues as evidenced in wars and raids. Call it playing devil’s advocate, but from a business perspective as well as game balance, an older hero shouldn’t be more desirable than a newer one on the level Xnol has been.

3 Likes

Could be? Never seen this before though. Stats are usually based on maxed heroes w/o emblems and LB since you can Emblem them in your own taste.

3 Likes

Alliance mate and I are having that discussion, is that with a Mana troop or the new magic/Styx troop?

Yea, wording could have been better and caused a lot less confusion. But with emblems and LB available, I can understand why they did this from a turn based damage dealer.