Sandbagging in Alliance Wars? Good Strategy or Cheating?

Two problems here (linked)

By having a low war points, the other members can be bigger

What makes you think we can kill all enemies (and less likely with this low one). This war enemy have a n army with defence 600 bigger than our very best attack army. (Includes Telluria)

3 out of 5 armies have defences bigger than our very best attack army

This isn’t an issue. It’s called sandbagging, and it’s a poor strategy. As @Gti said, ignore them until you flip.

Yes. So what? Do you think that if he fielded his best team that would somehow make his team easier to kill? Instead he’s given essentially easy points for your weakest members/teams.

If you can’t then THAT is your issue, not this sandbagger.

You got a bad matchup. Happens, particularly for smaller alliances.

1 Like

The total alliance points is still around 1500 regardless what defences put in place, by putting small defense, that player increase the points that can be taken from the others.

This is a blessing for your alliance. By eliminitang all enemy (reset), you will still get the same 1500 points, but you have 1 less base to worry about.

Do you prefer to fight 8× 4000 to get 1500 points during reset or 7× 4000 + 1× 1800 to get 1500 points during reset?

6 Likes

Have a look at this existing thread:

It’s called “sandbagging.” Take a look here:

My opinion- it’s foolish on the part of the defense. The total number of points you can get for a flip doesn’t change. That team is an easy cleanup for one of the weaker alliance mates. And war defense has no impact on matchmaking- it looks at your strongest heroes, not what you put on defense.

2 Likes

It’s not cheating. It hurts the alliance if too many players have 1* defenses. However,it could be effective in two sitautions.

1. If there are new war players in your allaince level 12 - 20 ish. And, the defense is around TP 25 ish. They would get beaten easly and give up around 70 points. It makes sense for that player to use 1* and give up 25 points and let stonger teammates carry the extra points. Also, remember the other have to burn a flag on the 1* team.

2. In very small alliances(5 players or less) that have a very strong teammate can use 1* defenses and let the strong player carry the points because the other team will burn through many flags trying to beat the strong player and also flipping the board. The other team will use most of their flags on the 1*s. But again,the player have to be very strong TP 48+ and everyone else is around TP 35 ish.

Haven’t faced this strategy in a while, but this last war our opponent had 2 weak teams among their 19

That’s the leader in the middle. Each of the weak team gave around 20 points each but what that meant was they had 2 teams giving 90+ points and the rest 80+

The result is pretty much predictable even if they left 8 flags

It’s not a good idea and we’ll gladly face any alliance that uses this

3 Likes

Ok, so gotta to ask why alliances still think this is a good strategy. Up until now we’ve won every time the opponent did this. Our current opponent is pretty tough and I think we could lose regardless, but why would someone with a 4892 TP raid defense (with Motega, and Bobo no less), decide to run unleveled 3* heroes in their defense? If he put in his raid defense into his war defense, we’d probably get crushed anyway. As it is, we may be able to win because they gave this free target.

1 Like

I don’t get why folks do this. I think they just misunderstand how the game works.

There are other games where this strategy does work because the points are not equal for each team. In this game, sandbagging works because you can make your weakest team worth 10 points rather than 50, but your total points available decrease as well.

1 Like

That kind of makes sense for the other games if that is the case.

The sad part is that we may lose this war, and it has nothing to do with their “trap” defense, but because we’re just over matched (at least on paper). But they’ll think it’s because they set up one of their defenses like this.

1 Like

Well, the next alliance they face will owe you a thank you note. We’ve run across this a few times and it has always worked to our advantage. We’re a pretty diverse alliance, depth wise, so there are always some teams that are usually “cleanup flags” available. Those flags now get guaranteed team kill points without depleting the alliance’s strong flags.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s exactly it. We’re in the same situation with defenses ranging from 4000-5000, with a few players in the lower 4000 TP mark, so it’s basically giving them free points. It lets the bigger guys concentrate on the big teams and get a higher score than normal.
I remember the first time we encountered this way back when we had a new player who only had 4 teams. He put up his best defense, which actually withstood an attack or two. But the other alliance had their weakest guy put up 1 star defense. Our new player just one shot all 4 flags. Their guy probably picked up a few points, but if we had done the same as them, he would have been one-shotting our guy and pick up a lot more points.

1 Like

So I recently noticed on our last war that two players from the other team deliberately used unleveled heros for their defence teams, both guys are on level 40+. My issue is that, we used our war flags and won the individual battles but was offered very little points for it. Yet the same people when attacking, they used their actual strong teams and managed to defeat ours and scoring more points since my alliance had put our best defence teams available.

We used more flags, won almost every battle but the total score wasn’t showing it. Is this like some strategy of cheating the system or what? Coz that was really petty, and we almost lost a war which we were clearly dominating in terms of the number of battles played and won…:thinking:

All alliance members defense teams are worth 1500 points total. No matter how many there are and how strong their teams are.

They probably had bad teams that would get oneshoted anyway. Using unleveled heroes made their teams worth less points (at the same time making other teams worth more) so it was less “free” points.
But honestly this helps more you than them.

2 Likes

It´s a common tactic used by people that cannot put up a good defense. Instead of putting up a bad defense handing out easy points, they put up no defense at all handing out few points.
So far so smart.
BUT the points don´t disappear, they are simply added on to all the other teams in the alliance (total number of points stays the same).
So really the impact of this tactics is not as big as it looks at first glance. It mostly depends on how you handle the situation and you can even benefit from it! If you have players on your side that do not have 6 teams ready to fight, you simply assign them to hit that target for every board reset. That way you get free points for a flag that would otherwise have been lost (when failing an attack) even if the flag had been used in a clean otherwise you don´t loose anything, you even gain because a clean you can still fail with a weak team, while this hit you cannot fail.

5 Likes

Also known as sand bagging. FYI…

3 Likes

Ow is that so? Honestly didn’t think of it that way😅
Actually got pissed coz I’m still at level 31 , so everyone was either too strong for me to attack, or offered too little points

Wow i remember this topic from 4 years ago. Lol. Has it been that long already. Can’t believe im still playing this game (after a hiatus, admittedly)

1 Like

I see…
Never thought of it that way, Thanks🙏

1 Like

You are officially an ancestor of the game now​:rofl::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like