Sandbagging in Alliance Wars? Good Strategy or Cheating?

Is it considered cheating if an alliance sandbags their defense team power for a war (use low power heroes instead of strong heroes) so that the opposing alliance doesn’t earn many points for killing the team? Some seem to think this is a reliable strategy. What do you think?

2 Likes

It’s not a very viable strategy since it makes it that much easier for your opponent to reset the boards repeatedly. If they have very good participation you’ll get overwhelmed.

6 Likes

Each alliance is worth a set number of points (1500). That 1500 points is split against all the alliance members according to their teams total HP.

If one team sets a weak roster, that members points will be distributed to other stronger players.

If everyone sets a weak roster, the alliance will still be worth 1500, it will just be a very easy to earn 1500 points.

So no. It’s not cheating and it for sure isn’t a good war strategy.

28 Likes

Nope, not cheating…

5 Likes

@zephyr1 off topic, but is post approval a new thing in the gameplay forum? Or do I have too many flagged posts?

1 Like

It’s not new, it’s keyword based, so it depends on what the content of the post is.

6 Likes

Ok nvm…

1 Like

Interesting. I have had like 3 posts go under review for approval today

This defense approach has been tried—and failed spectacularly—before.

That problem is two-fold. First, the entire alliance is worth about 1,500 points (rounded up). Points you dodge by bringing a garbage defense just move to someone else.

Second, only two-thirds of the points are assigned by team health. Your team will always be worth about half of your alliance’s best team, even if you put in unleveled 1* heroes. Your weak defense can easuky be killed, allowing your foes to concentrate their best heroes solely on your alliance’s best defenses.

There may be some fringe cases where this strategy is oksy. For example,if your alliance is mostly very strong, but you have a newbie or two, setting a few weak teams could slightly shift the scores in your favor. But by and large, the best strategy is for everyone to set out their strongest defense.

11 Likes

I wondered how the points were allocated for an alliance! It makes sense they use a system like that, since raids do something similar. I’ve just never noticed before. Thanks for filling in the gaps.

1 Like

No problem!

20 bad war strategies

2 Likes

Please send us a sandbagging team … we’re ready and waiting :grin:

5 Likes

It’s not cheating nor is it a good strategy. Rejoice if you are ever matched up against it

4 Likes

Are we seriously still doing this?

1 Like

I guess they do it for the matchmaking…this won’t work…hahahah

1 Like

…particularly because match-making doesn’t look at your set defense, but only your roster.

3 Likes

Our alliance used to ask newbies who do not have yet 3000+ TP to put 1* 1.1 heroes.
The point difference is not that much and we lost 1x and won 1x using that strategy.

Now we only put the strongest and have been winning consecutively…

2 Likes

Wrong if you kill ALL teams no matter their level you get 1500 points

1 Like

Yep. That’s exactly what happened. Needless to say. It was an epic fail and we won’t be trying it again. Play and learn. Ha ha

2 Likes

You were absolutely right. It failed and indeed that failure was spectacular! It was actually painful. Lol tyvm for the input

1 Like

Cookie Settings