Rush Attack in Raid Tournaments

I find the idea to use Rush Attack in Raid Tournaments is turning out horribly. You are a true slave to the opening board…even more than before. If you can’t take out an opponent in the first few shots you’re doomed. I understand SOME luck is needed in this game. But Rush Attack makes the outcome virtually pure luck and ruins any hope for strategy. I hope this is only a ‘test’ because it’s just not fun.

3 Likes

Yeah rush attack really makes it even more about luck than it already is, I’m not a fan of it being a war buff.

1 Like

Yep, especially when the raid tourney defense uses mono of the weak color to the element that is absent in such raid tourney, say Killhare - Kunchen - Alfrike - Ursena - Onyx and no holy element. Can’t skip this defense in raid tourney.

So are you talking about in wars or tournies?

In tournies I kind of agree with you. I was destroyed by 4 Alfrike tanks in one no yellow rush tourney.

For wars I think it is different where you can stack the strong color against the tank and where you have some choice in the opponent you select (we are a top 50 alliance and have faced 1 purple and 1 green tank team, but the purple team was not all Alfrikes thankfully). I kind of find the change refereshing and makes you think about team composition (particularly in defense) and also makes you change your board strategy somewhat.

Personally, I love the rush attack. It gives me the chance to take some of my slow heroes off the bench and let them have a run.

I usually play 4 + 1, with the 1 being an off-colour healer. The trick is to understand that you are not going to stop your opponent’s tank (at least) from going off, so how can you stack your team to withstand that?

1 Like

One thing these last two wars made me realize is that, since all heroes are now very fast, I should assign my troops differently on my mono teams. For example, any hero with a costume with a mana troop any level will fill his mana in 6 tiles (as opposed to 6.5). If they have the talents bonus, maybe they won’t even need a mana troop. My BK costume with 20 emblem levels is ready to fire in 6 turns, so I put a critical troop on him and gave his mana troop to another hero. I will definitely use this in the next rush tournament.

I think the meta has shifted dramatically with emblems and I had to change my favourite line-up strategy. I always played 3-2 with 3 aimed at the tank. I have changed to 4-1 to be able to combat the higher health/defense of level 20 emblem heroes with more tile damage. Within the 4-1 I make sure to use the 1 off-color as primary healer (I have the luxury of 3 upped Ariels for this, one with 18 emblems, also Delilah, Vivica, and Kunchen come to mind). And within the 4 I use a secondary healer (HOT or elemental link). Think Tarlak, Aegir, Red Riding Hood, Ares, Khiona and the likes. This strategy has helped me with coming up with strong war performances again after having slipped badly. But it is still true that rush wars make you very dependent on your starting board. What I found is that because I don’t have a lot of strong slow heroes levelled, and furthermore no emblems spent on them, that I rediscovered some average heroes that are very good for rush wars or tournaments. For example, I forgot about Red Riding Hood for the most part, but she has been coming of the bench for me as secondary healer in 4-1 and also in rush she’s very good. Just look at your average heroes and see who can become strong in rush. I also still bring good fast or very fast heroes with high emblem levels, like Drake Fong and Gravemaker. Mana control is also crucial for rush, so Hel, Mitsuko, Neith, Guinvere as mana stoppers or stealers and Alasie, Telly for mana slowing can have a big impact on how your attack fares, especially with less than ideal boards. If I look back at the heroes I mentioned, I realize that they are all HOTM’s or Tournament heroes, so if you have to work with vanilla heroes, it becomes harder. Although there are some slow heroes that are really good for rush like Isarnia, Vivica and Elena.
What I do like is that all those different types of tournament and wars spice up the game in the way that I have to think of new strategies and line-ups.

This format is beyond broken in 5* and really needs to be tossed in the trash.

Every team is Alfrike tanking, or now Ludwig with a counterattacker/Alfrike/Lidenbrock on flanks and double resser wings.

It’s utterly absurd and completely broken. Just get rid of it.

1 Like

I believe you guys are used to using way too many mono teams and that’s not the way to go especially when you are doing rush attacks as you primarily depend upon only one color And need it way too fast which is not a good thing in a random board.

I myself and speaking only for myself I can say that rush raids are my favorite ones by a mile.

My advice would be for you to take at least three colors that you consider to be a good fit, preferably use slow heroes that benefit from the faster Mana recovery, and then you want to make sure that their abilities lying and make a good synergy.

For instance, my team is composed of alby, hel, kunchen BK and c. Vivica. That team is what I use in 90% of my raids, I sometimes do small tweaks and changes here and there, but mostly that’s what I will use And it works fantastically against most of the teams I have a very nice results. 4/5 colors so I don’t depend fully on a mono stack, 3 slow heroes getting absurdly buffed and The skills themselves make it easy for my team to survive and make its way through the enemy lines.

How exactly does it counter Alfrike? If she fires, it’s pretty much game over. Right now I’m facing a team of Mother north, Alfrike, Black knight, Alfrike, Heimdall. GL with that in rush tournament. If ANYONE of those fires, you’re done.

1 Like

It counters because if BK taunt is up all cubes hit him then kunchen clears the mindless

1 Like

Alfrike strike randomly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alfrike is in a world of her own, but there have always been some heroes harder than others.

I accept it, and whenever I go against an alfrike in rush attack I try to hit the sides and use either hel or BK before her, I assume any raid with a very fast alfrike is absurdly complicated, but every tournament format has overpowered heroes, the bloody battles have buffed fiends absurdly and the buff booster makes people like aegir or krampus be monsters, so there is that.

In general I find rush attacks very enjoyable, because they are fast and intriguing combats, I think having mono teams is counterproductive in this format and that’s just the advice I give, but that’s just my opinion and my taste (the fact that I like these) to each their own I guess!

1 Like

I like rush in general, doesn’t happen all the time and in war I wouldn’t be able to as my roster isn’t deep enough but a sample of wins from today’s tournament. Its doable, just need a combination of not a dreadful board and some good counters.

So far I got 9 Alfrike out of 15 flags this week… Damn, it’s like everybody has her… except me… I lost 4… all to Alfrike, of course… but it’s not only Alfrike. Most of them also had Lindenbrook and Heimdall / MN. One had both Heim and MN… I actually had to kill everybody three times over. On a lesser board it would have been a certain defeat.

9 Alfrikes in 15 flags? I’d call that lucky. I have had multiple fights with multiple Alfrikes. It’s basically over and over: Alfrike(s), Heimdall, Mother North, Lady Lake, Krampus, Santa with some sort of variation.

1 Like

Try going against MN-Ludwig-Alfrike-Prof Lindenbrock combo.

I can withstand literally 10 (not exaggerating), yet I still lose to time due to them reviving endlessly with everyone on steroids kept firing away especially MN.

For me, the key isn’t if I’m still alive, but whether can I even take them down and beat the time.

I have to believe they will release another V.Slow. Where is S4’s?
They have Congalaich incoming,
but he is only Slow.

Are they having a difficult time releasing new V.Slow content because of Rush???

There are 2 camps for all these threads:

1. :+1: I finally get to use my slow heroes
  2. :-1: an increase in RNG dependence

Camp 1 makes me laugh because, evidently…if it’s not Rush mode they don’t use their slow heroes.
hah
Ha
ha
What do you think will happen as they continue to release balanced Slow & V.Slow content?

At what point do these saturations become problems for the middle class?

1 Like

Agree with both points. Battles can really swing back and forth massively in rush formats and that makes them potentially very enjoyable. That is if you don’t get a bad start and get sunk from the start, in which case frustration definitely peaks.

The best chance you have of avoiding that bad start as consistenly as possible is to not go anywhere near mono. I use pretty much the same mana control heavy team with slight tweaks (e.g. if I need a dispeller I bring C Sabina) and it works more often than not because I have multiple color options to help me survive until I get the color that I really want (purple) to begin to dominate the battle. A couple of examples below.

I’ve started to use my slow heroes almost all the time now, and am really enjoying it. Both Luigi and Guillinbursiti get used excessively. I am thinking of maxing Rafaelle too, I think the key is to not use more than 1 slow hero together - as long as your other heroes can keep you alive vs the vf fast and fast attacks your slow heroes can come in slow and steady and really tip the scales in your favour.

Your right, my 2 camps are too specific.

1. Love it
  2. Hate it

Camp 1 has a common theme,
"Finally getting to dust off the Slows"

You have always been in your own camp homaclese, no offense. That’s a good thing! Noor is certainly OP in rush :yum:

Cool. I have neither.
My only developed slow is a single LOTL

But my ability to compose skills together helps me manage this broken mode

But I did spend some money on my old heroes and therefore won’t preach to people about navigating this broken mode with lesser rosters.

Because I also agree with this: