Revisiting a highly disputed topic; Beta player advantage

After fables of Grimm forest I’m left with 20 crude iron (zero arrows) 25 midnight roots (zero bombs, 17 mana potions) 3 hardwood lumber (zero axes) yet I placed only 18th in epic with a competitive team of kiril triton and 3 grimms. Why such a low placing after spending 26 world energy flasks and my entire inventory? Because even with my knowledge of the event I still didn’t know wtf I was doing. I spent most of my items improving my high end scores on stages 8,9 and 10. When in reality I could’ve finished top ten easily if I knew that my stage 4,5,6 scores should be improved and spent items there instead. I won’t name the player who finished top ten and was kind enough to share their score per stage with me but in comparison I was crushing on the top stages, and it’s the middle stages that they beat me on by only a few thousand here and there. It was valuable information that came to me too late as I had already spent my inventory. I don’t know if this player is in beta I’m actually quite sure they aren’t but the fact is that if I had unlimited practice runs in beta I would’ve known better than to spend my entire inventory the wrong way. I made mistakes here and I can’t deny that but what I’m saying is that with unlimited practice runs these mistakes just wouldn’t happen. It makes me so mad that people don’t acknowledge that beta players have an advantage if they want it. Maybe not everyone in beta abuses the privilege but it’s just insane to me that people will argue like they don’t have any kind of advantage. At this point I’m considering quitting the game honestly, I’m spent and I’m burnt out. I saved up materials and items for several months to try and make a high score in this event. :hankey: on me if you want, I don’t care. I’m at the point I’m just done.

2 Likes

This post perpetuates a negative and false idea that being in beta gives you any advantage over a game that is based on randomness and trial and error.

1 Like

Yeah trial and error. Imagine unlimited practice runs instead of spending your entire inventory on trial and error.

I’m curious, if that player isn’t in beta, what do you think contributed to their ability to beat your scores, since your premise is that beta players have a significant advantage?

My understanding is that there was a time when scoring was shown in beta, but that it was turned off.

I’m not positive about that — hopefully a long-term beta player can clarify.

Presuming that is accurate, you could in theory practice run stages, presumably, but wouldn’t know your score.

I can see where that would still be useful practice, albeit less so than if the score showed.

I can say, Grimforest didn’t show in beta during this cycle. So I’m not sure if/when Challenge Events are normally even available in beta for testing.

One thing I wonder about with this is how much sheer repetition is needed to get good enough boards for high scores.

Maybe 26 WE flasks just isn’t enough?

My only benchmark is from when @Kerridoc won Epic and said this:

7 Likes

Challenge event 2.0

The AMA they said they are revamping Challenge events so I advised people not to complete in them until the new version.

The current version is how other mobile MMOs do it, but the rumors about the new Tourneys day they have a much better set up that I hope to see in the revised challenge events.

Notes

So before we think of the sixth, we intend to do more work on the existing five.

There will be sneak peeks of new challenge event heroes in the future.

We’ll look at the rules for the challenge events.

I think we will have a challenge event summons token once we do a refresh of the whole thing. The challenge events are the only portal that doesn’t have a free way to draw, which we’d like to add.(linky, linky)

3 Likes

Beta players provide a free service to all of us that limits bugs and makes the game better. If they get an small advantage in the challenges while doing that so be it. I think your frustration is misguided especially since scores were removed from beta from what I have been told. The top heavy reward structure of the challenges is what you should have a real issue with.

6 Likes

Sweg why don’t you just join beta gain your “magical” advantage and then … sounds to me like you got it right-spending 27 w/e. I’m thinking the person who shared there scores didn’t get there info from beta where there scores should be but rather from experience.

Beta doesn’t show scores. You lost because of you and you alone. Stop crying please.

2 Likes

Also if you seriously saved for months and didn’t bother to search for people’s existing high scores from past events before using all your items…

SWEG, if you’re interested, I’m part of a small group in Line that shares scores, strategies, teams, etc for events. We’ve all placed at various spots, one of whom is regularly a top 10 finisher. I can add you if you’re interested. Just let me know your line id :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you know how to score, you should know (and note) where you can still improve your stages and where not.
Useless to try to improve a perfect board just because higher stages has more points.

While beta indeed provided some kind of advantage in the past (first events) that’s no longer true for some time now.

You can find on the internet all you need to know about it.

Just to make it perfectly clear - when Wonderland was being tested in beta, the scores were removed.
Now that Wonderland has gone into the game, it no longer appears in beta, nor do the other challenge events.

6 Likes

I think this is funny because the players that typically win the events have been doing it since before they were in beta, so no i don’t think beta has contributed to their success…

And beta only typically tests new events, not old ones, except for 1 time in the life of the game that I’m aware of and that has been corrected. Also as zephyr said, it doesn’t show scores in beta anymore.

I didnt win the event but that was due to bad item management and poor judgement call on some of my boards, not due to anyone else having an “unfair advantage”

I had as many runs this event as i wanted to buy, that seemed pretty unlimited to me.

Idk why but for some reason in this game, people don’t take responsibility for a loss. It’s always the devs, boards, beta, cheaters, etc etc that players try to use as a scapegoat for their shortcomings.

18 is awesome in epic. Frustrated? Shrug it off, try again next month, no big deal. You said you’ve seen the scores, you know what you need to do different, start prepping and give it another go.

There is always next month

11 Likes

I have given up on these challenge events some time ago.

Want any of the rewards that you see? Just pay for it if you are able to (buying pulls of course).
AMs will be a little tougher but doing Atlantis pulls helps.

No unfair advantage to beta players. You may work hard but there are always others who put in more effort than you. @Kerridoc took months of planning before he got his G Panther.

@Rigs I highly doubt there will be a next month since it takes months to stock pile those battle items :rofl:

2 Likes

The scores for the level have a fairly predictable progression it should have been obvious to you where you could gain most, this has nothing to do with beta but as you say because you didn’t know what you were doing

Cue the violins for so much whining. Bottom line is, as you said, you didn’t know what you were doing. Scores from high scorers are available if you search a little (Zero and uclapack have posted them on the forum and/or some open LINE groups, and they would share if you ask nicely), and events once they’ve gone live are not in beta anymore, so nice try finding a scapegoat, but you’re the only one to blame. If you want to compete in an event, better do some proper research beforehand. There is a lot of information readily available.

1 Like

Took me 1 month to stock up. Hit #15 in legendary. With better item management and more patience for good boards, i would have hit top 10 without a doubt. Was working on a few stages when i ran out of dragon attacks.

And yes I’m already stocking up for next month. Started farming as soon as i ran out of items yesterday morning.

Luckily i wont need dragon attacks this go since my main focus will be Epic instead of legendary

3 Likes

Sorry about your luck there. At least you will have a better idea for the next time you are ready to make a go at it!

I will watch from afar as you make the attempt. I like my 35,000th place on my first run through. Even if I did.

1 Like

Beta players would only have an advantage if they didn’t share the info and hoarded it. I can assure you, as a beta tester, this stuff all gets leaked in enough time to adapt (in fact, the leaks are often incorrect and people complain as a result LOL), and any high performing beta players in events in particular share their insights openly, regardless of the fact that they are in beta.

Case in point: there is already an open discussion on the raid challenge and that isn’t even out of beta yet and has changed a lot while in beta.

@Rigs

Just out of interest, what sort of numbers are we looking at in terms of energy flasks and battle items for a realistic shot at top 50 or 20??

No need to give exact figures but are we talking a dozen flasks, 50, 100?

I’m starting to run low on things to challenge myself with in game on a very limited budget and wondering if a run on the challenge leader boards is even possible for me

1 Like