Rare, Freaky, Genetic Mutations club. Inspiration @nevarmaor and @math4lyfe

I bet your dog came home happy as well. Glad to hear that it helped with your funk.

1 Like

No team sports for me, but I enjoy watching football and I like to ride my bike for distances that most people think is a long way, but that people who actually ride bikes think is just beginning to be respectable.

I’m a chemical engineer by trade and I am interested in chess, philosophy and fantasy literature (Brandon Sanderson fans represent).

Conclusion: If riding bikes for a longish distance counts as sports, I’m a RFGM instead of a Nerd. Otherwise, Nerd.

3 Likes

The question is, did you win or did the dog win?

100% relate to that.

I have played some form of competitive sport since the 4th grade…and I was in the 4th grade a very long time ago. Only injury down time prevented that. Went from football (with slow and fast pitch softball, volleyball, basketball, and golf mixed in) to ice hockey when I could not longer run with the kids.

Our latest hockey season got shut down during the lock down while we were 5-0 and on a roll. We still boast about being “undefeated” all this time. Not sure we will finish that season and I don’t play in the summer so might have to wait until September.

:scream:

Pre-quarantine I would play football nearly every weekend and basketball 3-4 times a week, with some softball and soccer integrated every 4-6 weeks.

@voidstrike I’m TERRIBLE at ball sports and never spent the time to build any skill. I played basketball with my friends as a HS kid back in the day, but none of us were good.

It probably makes me a terrible father (not really), but I’ve never ‘played catch’ with my sons really.

However, we do like to go out for long bike rides on greenways or some single-track mountain bike trails. :slight_smile: I’m thinking of a multi-day charity ride with my teenager this fall.

3 Likes

Definitely not…to each their own…my dad and I played tennis, volleyball, basketball and soccer together. Never played catch a day in our lives.

1 Like

Sounds shocking like me at this point except I love team sports.

Switched from running to biking due to plantar fasciitis and to avoid the pounding of running.

Used to think a 20 mile ride was long. Working on my first century but have not done one yet. I do a 500 mile, 7 day charity ride in July (that I hope still happens this year) and the experience is outstanding.

Chemical engineer by degree and trade also.

Downloaded a list of the 100 top Sci-Fi and Fantasy books (though some are trilogies or series). Have read 35 so far. One of my favorites is the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephan Donaldson. I have read the first two trilogies but not the last Chronicles which is 4 books.

Good stuff.

Have had Thomas Covenant recommended to me a couple times but never read. I have read and love the short story collection by him “Reave the Just”. Great great story. Such obvious mastery of the art of language. He gets so many ideas across in such a short story.

OMG Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever!

I spent many an hour in the Spaced Out Library reading that when I should have been in University lectures.

1 Like

What did someone just call me several times? I swear I heard “hey weirdo” and as far as I know that my name. Kids, wife, friends, even the cats give me that “what now weirdo?” Look all the time.

Anyway I WAS into sports but also into illegal substances (well they were illegal THEN) so I was the stoner, horror/fantasy/SciFi reading jock stoner who always got into fights because I did not approve of a 220lb linebacker picking on the110lb kid he’d be working for in 10 years. So wanna talk weirdo? I’m down :crazy_face:

Hardly EVER missed Creature Double Feature or Dr Shock!!! But also had a nice collection of comic books and Gi Joe gear. He used to behead my sisters Barbie dolls, hey they were Cobra spies? He has no choice!!!

3 Likes

You’re my kind of dude for sure. :+1:

1 Like

Maybe I was just oblivious to it but I don’t remember a lot of these scenarios when I was in high school. I always thought it was something played up in movies.

1 Like

Unfortunately no, as I was a Navy brat I was picked on from 3rd grade until 7th, buzz cut, Bono’s, floods…you know. Then I started working out during 7th grade summer and taking lessons from my dad who was a golden gloves boxer. So when Jim H, the big bully of the school I went to got a broken nose and I got suspended…suddenly everyone wanted to be my friend, all the kids that would laugh and pick on me.
So when I went from Catholic School to public school I only weighed in at 155lbs but could push 300 pounds on the bench press (free weights) and still hold the record for the most pushups and sit-ups. But never forgot what that felt like. So yeah my nose points to the left because I usually didn’t see that one coming :joy:
I was forced to wrestle because I pinned there state champion 190lb top wrestler in gym one day, he forearmed my recently broken nose, I saw red and he lost that match. Both gym teachers were wrestling coaches sooooo…yeah. Played lacrosse and Football too. But alas I was forced to get a job due to some alien abduction of the girl I was dating implanting a fetus into her. And here I am 33 years later about to divorce her.

Probably be a Lifetime movie…pffffft

@voidstrike, I’m going to bet I’m quite a few years older than you. They didn’t call the cops for a 3rd grader drawing a gun and yes we got called out to fight in the field behind the school.

2 Likes

Probably…I’m a young pup with an old soul…most people on the forums go “awww you’re sooo young” when they find out my age on Line.

But I’m not @Saphirra young

Thanks for sharing, cool to hear life stories.

2 Likes

They actually had a smoking lounge for the students the year I 1st went to public school. That ended rather abruptly

3 Likes

I don’t know of anyone thus far that is @Saphirra Young.

I agree there @PapaHeavy

Just going to have to give ya’ll :heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

@PapaHeavy, I’m sure it was all the scrapple and pork roll that gave you the super-strength, lol.

1 Like

I believe I’ve already spoken with you about this @Saphirra, at least the 1st part.
Plus you’re a incredibly mature young man. I have 25-30 years olds that work for me let are at least 87.3% more immature

2 Likes

Sometimes a cheesesteak for breakfast too :joy:

No I don’t know if anyone remembers the Road Warriors from WWF? Hawk and Animal. Well that was my goal. Had a full gym in my parents basement used to Jam out to the Metallica album Ride the Lightning and feel the burn bro.
I did a lot of reading even back then. Even strength training. Plus my dad when he found out I was being picked on would give me the old “are you ready” then fast hands me to the ground. I also got the old sermon of “Never back down from a bully they will run away if you stand up to them”. Harvey R. Taught me that wasn’t necessarily true, instead I’d end up with a black eye and thrown in a rose bush. But I did learn than once you give someone a beat down they mostly leave you alone. Got Harvey back with a hockey stick a few days later.
But the only time I didn’t clean my plate was when we had liver, my arch nemesis!!! I’d sit at that table until my mom had enough of me and sent me away. I’m the oldest of 9, you know Irish Catholic. Had to say the rosary after dinner in the summer time before I could go out, the WHOLE rosary. I’d still take that over that filthy liver any day.

2 Likes

yes you have. lol. But i still think it is nice of you to share

lol. well, i’ve had reason to be mature. :slight_smile:

1 Like