Rank the tanks: Justice, Aegir, Yunan

I have held off giving Aegir emblems for a long time (i.e., the whole time emblems have been available), because I have never felt secure in investing in him as a tank, long term. For a while that was because of his pre-version 20 form. Then it was because I had a very pressing need for some of my Paladin emblems (Frida). Now it is because of the myriad strong green counters (esp. Evelyn), and borderline hard-counters in other elements. I am very concerned about Finley and Snow White’s impact on him, though that’s attenuated slightly since Snow White has reverted to slow mana.

All that said, un-emblemed Aegir holds around 2500-2550 overnight. Which in many ways makes me even less inclined to invest emblems. He does what I need - hang in Diamond so I can open my chests there, be available for wars, titans, etc. I guess in some ways you could interpret that as a very pro-Aegir statement. He’s strong as is, and even stronger with emblems.

2 Likes

I like Aegir a lot because he’s a good tank but he’s also great to attack with as others have mentioned. He does a good job holding cups. I just took this pic, was raided 15 times and won 7 of them which is pretty typical with the defense I’m using. He wins about half the time. Now my cups will stabilize where they are, about 2550. At this range I won’t even get attacked very much, a lot of people don’t seem interested in attacking Aegir.

2 Likes

I’m with you @Tsataya, Yunan has been my best tank since far. Like you said the fast, hard hitting flanks are needed.

2 Likes

There’s a discussion on it here

Tl;Dr

Not really

3 Likes

We’ve run green tanks occasionally. Those with Yunan get excited, but in general our overall defensive performance doesn’t look much different than any other color that we’ve used.

I’d rank them as tanks:

1. Yunan
  2. Justice
  3. Aegir

I enjoy fighting Aegir. There are too many counters to dispel his effects, or worse, flip them into a liability. You can also dump tiles on him during a bad board until you charge your dispel or defense down hero. He is very sturdy and his Paladin talent class helps him a great deal, so sure, I lose sometimes against him. However, I’m more likely to be thwarted on mediocre boards by Yunan or Justice imo.

7 Likes

My vote is:

1. Yunan
  2. Aegir
  3. Justice

My yunan has 12 or 13 buttons now. Keeps me comfortably between 2500 and 2600 trophies (2450+ if I don’t do any raids).

2 Likes

Green Tanks coming after March

Right after Jean-François is released. Besides the fact that Gravemaker still exists. Also, Grazul and Zimkitha will both be great choices against Telluria. Stop trying to make fetch happen.

I’m exaggerating of course - Telluria looks tough. And they do the one thing that I think is really damaging to a red stack: the HoT. As long as there is no red dispelling option, I think a green attempting to be a tank is best served exploiting the most glaring weakness among the fire heroes, and choosing HoT as the buff is a very strong choice, to counter the inevitable burn DoT.

For wars:

1. Aegir
  2. Justice
  3. Yunan

For raid defense:

1. Yunan
  2. Justice
  3. Aegir

Aegir IMO is easy to play around with the right resources – but because wars force you to manage your heroes carefully, he becomes increasingly more difficult to fight without those resources.

For regular raiding, I always have the right team to beat him.

The other 2 though, things can still go wrong even with the right resources and they’re more punishing with their skills – they actually hurt you and they inflict ailments that are not fun to have.

2 Likes

I have rigard and I think he is great now even thou he got little bit worse also…

Not substantially different than yours. I am happy where he holds me and often I wake up having won a couple and pushed into the top 100 then unceremoniously ripped from it.

1 Like

No one at my level runs green tanks for war. I didn’t spend a dime to get Yunan but I am satisfied with my raid defense. I wouldn’t discount the value of Diamond chests and that’s what he has given me. In my opinion there is no point to trying to level a tank only for war defense because that changes. For example I did not level Richard when we were running blue because I had Arthur and he was tanky enough. But that’s what makes it fun- we all play differently.

Whatever floats your boat :man_shrugging:

For what it’s worth, arthur is better than richard anyways, and just about any rainbow 5* maxed team should keep you in diamond unless you plan on going quite awhile without raiding but even then lowest you’ll probly go is 2300 which is just a win or 2 outside diamond

You like yunan and that’s all that matters but i would still put wars ahead of raids. Titans ahead of either.

Think we have changed war defense about 5 times in a year and a half and those changes were for 1 war each. I ran the same hero at tank for a long time before pulling a better one and makin a switch. For consistent alliances, not a lot changes

1 Like

I embelmed justice because I don’t have any other yellow five . I hope he is good but sadly I think slow is no good for high level

1 Like

This is true. I stay on diamond tanking with Khiona+1 :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve seen a lot of players stay there with other okay-ish tanks too.

I agree with you, that raid defense is really more for bragging rights. War defense is more important.

Also agree that Arthur > Richard, but I think vanilla Richard(c) > Arthur as far as tanking goes anyways ( (c) - costume maxed)

2 Likes

True richard is better tank but i wouldnt ascend him over an elemental down hero just for that reason

I meant ascend

1 Like

We’re warring vs some high up teams and still some justice tanks and not every flag vs justice tank is a 1 shot so I’d say she is still viable and costume will make things interesting

2 Likes

Justice works for me. And I actually have two slow heroes on defence.

I think people sometimes underestimate Tc20 heroes because in a like for like comparison, they are always second best. But it you raid regularly, you can cruise diamond with a Justice tank.

2 Likes

Using my most recently closed raid period (2,121 raids in Diamond):

Tank Wins Losses Win Percentage
Aegir 8 200 3.8%
Justice 3 47 6%
Yunan 1 7 12.5%

N.B. this doesn’t account for differences in emblems or team power. It is possible one of these heroes was often more emblemed than another, or that one consistently had better support. That said, this is the data I have. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is wins against you, right?

Looks like you’d need more Yunan data in particular to make it more robust?

1 Like