Raids Suck

As you move up the ranks it gets better, or at least more consistent.

For the sake of it, lets check out what we can do to possibly make things better!

What team of heros do you raid with? A static one, or do you switch out heros?

What heros do you usually have the the biggest problem facing?

What heros do you have available to you?

The forums collective wisdome and humbleness will offer advice :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m an experienced gamer, I research anything I’m investing in. I really have to be totally sold on a product to give it money, particularly free to play games. I’ve been at this for a bit (26 player level), enjoying the dymanics and challenge to figure ALL of it out. I don’t care about leaderboards, prestige, or achievements. I want to fill my chests and get loot so I can progress, to overcome the obstacles presented, and see how a story ends. I’ve read all these threads, looked at the suggested links, and tried what I haven’t already been doing. It has not changed anything. In my experience, raids are terribly op against the attacker.

I see alot of cup talk. I could care less about how many cups I have and stay in the silver range, mostly due to defending my loot. I don’t need bragging rights, I want loot for progress. You don’t keep many cups when you lose most of the time. I’ll gain 11 to lose 40 next battle, cups are pretty insignificant. When I’m hunting, I get stronger opponent teams than my strongest team most rerolls.

I see strategy talk. This is where I have my fun! I don’t like to gamble my time and resources, looking for high probability of success. I look at all of my opponent’s info before choosing to attack or reroll. I reroll alot to find a suitable opponent with loot, tailoring my team accordingly. Again, I don’t care about cups I just want loot. It has not mattered if the power comparison is 200 points above or below my attacking team, I lose the majority of the time. What is the point of having all this info when it doesn’t matter? It seems more about luck for the most part. Time, effort, and fun flushed away.
I strategize my attacks based on the board, looking for ways to combo and build mana, while withholding as much as possible from my opponent. It does not matter. The combos above 3 or 4 rarely come. When they do, I’ve already defeated the majority of my opponents and still manage to miss the one or two still defending. I’ve seen less than ten board flips out of all my raids. The crystals load and stay deficient to my team’s strength and need of ability. With the same characters on both sides, the defense mana builds faster. Losing to weaker teams frustration is compounded by the above. Again, you have to be lucky to get a good board to beat a statistically inferior team? Don’t get me wrong, I love a challenge! But to get beat three times in a row by a lesser opponent? Time, effort, and fun flushed away.

I see the AI is stupid. It sure knows how to target and eliminate my characters that are full of mana and/or low on hp, full mana being a higher priority than low hp. Doesn’t look too stupid during my raids.

Constantly losing to weaker opponents pushed me to challenge stronger ones, only to really get pounded. There is no compensation during battles with superior opponents. I want the loot, but it is futile when lesser opponents beat you and greater ones decimate you. Time, effort, and fun flushed away.
I did have a brief moment of success when the change was first implemented. It has been a constant struggle otherwise.

If the raids are to be avioded, why even have them? So far the compensation for frustration is a losing battle and pushing me away from an otherwise great, enjoyable, and challenging game. Give me a reason to throw money at you, not delete your hard work. Yes, it has gotten that frustrating.
Thanks for you time!

1 Like

I am at risk of repeating exactly what I said in an earlier post in this thread.
So I won’t and leave it to you to search the thread on my name and find it if you want all the detail.

It, however, boils down to:
If you are losing the majority of your raids, you are doing something wrong. I win 7 or 8 out of 10 of mine (playing low platinum).
Clue: I really should be playing mid to high platinum to be in a position where I start having a 50/50 win/loss ratio… but I find that too frustrating… and have a chest to fill.

(D a m n… starting to sound like Asterix and the Cauldron.)

1 Like

Loosing games is frustrating indeed. But think of it this way: There are lots of players in the game and many of them manage to win. And they are not only top players with a team of fully ascended 5* heroes. For me it means that you might need to review your raid planning and the way you estimate opponents. Team power itself doesn’t mean a lot without taking in account heroes positions and their specials.

For example, if you see a team with a Li Xiu in a central position and you don’t have two purple heroes of similar power in your team, then, perhaps you should avoid this opponent even if his/hear team is of the same power or even 100 points less.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response!

I was reluctant to post anything in that I tend to put alot of time and detail in to what I write which can be overwhelming, and seeing how this thread has developed the replies to posts I was afraid this would be what I got in return. I do appreciate the time and effort and in an attempt not to repeat my winded post here goes:

Trial and error has taught me alot, and I’m not including my learning curve for characters, abilities, and game play in my frustration.
I’ve went through the suggestions that I didn’t have in place before posting.
I am thorough with my analysis before I spend time and resources.
I refuse to be so unlucky that it is the cause of my frustration.

I have 2 4*'s (almost maxed) and the rest are 3*'s (maxed) for my team with at least 3 from each element available. I don’t feel it is a lack of knowledge in that there’s more than enough available, nor application in that I have a good grasp of gameplay in addition to info. I’ve given detail of my observations which seem lightly passed over and I know I got a bit winded. The only resolve that I presently see is to drop to the lower group to not be frustrated with the level of characters I have? Am I grinding in the wrong group? My defense is what has me at the silver level. That loot seems to fit my characters development, but I know I could be wrong.

I don’t care about top player or always winning, I know I have to lose. I just want efficiency in effort.

Thanks again for your time!

1 Like
  1. Pick opponents that are weak where you are strong, with talents you can dominate.

2. Exploit the AI - you know it’s stupid, so make the most of it.

3. Combine your specials to best effect.

4. Understand the different ways you can win each battle.

5. Ghost, when the opportunity arises.

If you’re losing more than you win on attack, when attackers have massive advantages, then you’re probably not doing all these things.

PS - Cup dropping is for muppets. Come at me, muppets.

Every team has different ways to win. It’s possible this sometimes works for you - I don’t discount its value - but it looks like a losing strategy, and it sounds like you’ve been losing with it.

Of course you’ll win if you charge your specials before the defender charges theirs, but that should be rare. It would be unfair if it happened frequently. As an attacker, your role is to know what specials your opponent has, which ones you can pick on, which ones to ignore and which ones to focus on, and how you’ll counter them if/when they do go off early (debuffs? healing? status repair? tile damage?).

On top of this defensive stuff, you need to know your path to victory (drill a hole then ghost? brutal sequence of specials? kill all their hitters then grind down the healers? kill all their healers then watch their attackers die of old age?). Don’t be seduced by doubling the tank - sometimes it’s smart and often it’s stupid. If you’re doing it all the time then you’re not thinking.

The game is quite layered and success depends on knowing a lot of things. But raids are heavily tilted in favour of the attacker: even early-game players ought to be able to capitalise.

1 Like

Maybe this is a dumb question but, what is ghosting?

2 Likes

Actually I just learned what it was as well. When you clear out an enemy send tiles down the empty space. Mana increase x2 with this.

Now that I know it has come in quite handy in my raids.

1 Like

Wait what!?
Does this mean if i defeated the enemy tank and send a 4-chain down the middle column it counts as 8 ???

Edit:
Can’t do more replies today ^^

Thank you guys for this info I think ghosting will push my winrate for more than 10%

3 Likes

yes it does. It can come in handy and doesn’t pump up enemies.

1 Like

Ghosting is sending tiles through a gap in the enemy forces so they don’t hit. Because you don’t hit the enemy, they don’t get mana from the tiles, but you get double mana gains yourself when your tiles don’t have a target.

1 Like

I didn’t want to trivialise your points… it was not my intention… but it boils down to:
If you are indeed playing with what you believe is the best strategy, and you are indeed following all the advice that is given in these forums (and this thread alone has a lot of excellent advice in abundance), and you feel you are maximising your advantage in raids (which is to pick your enemy, and set up your team to the best to counter it) and you are still losing too many… then you have quite simply hit the wall. It will happen to every player except the absolute top.

With a team of 2 4* (not maxed) and 3*, the wall would not be particularly high. You have a lot of cup droppers out there (and I don’t particularly share @Brobb’s disdain for it). Players at large are not stupid and will spend their time in an optimal way by and large… so if the rewards and/or resources to gain from raiding at higher levels with more frustrating gameplay and fewer wins are not worth their time, they will move to a place where it is. Which means you’ll be facing many who are more powerful than your league.

So… you can either check whether you are indeed using the correct stategy… e.g. post your choices of team out of your stable for attack with your reasoning and check if the experienced players in this forum agree or have suggestions that may open avenues you had not considered… show your defence… describe the strategy you use given a particular opponent you feel you should have beaten but didn’t… etc.

Or…

Tweak your defence to lower your cup level to a place of more comfort. If you want to optimise your time and efficiency, you really just want to fill your hero chest as quickly as you can. (The ‘increase’ in rewards for higher tiers, from what I have observed, are not worth a drastic drop in your win rate). You do this by winning your raid attacks… and to do this you need to be at a level where you have a reasonable chance of beating your opponents. As you improve your team strength and depth you will naturally be able to raise this level to the next tier, and so on.

Also other great advice I read in these forums: You will get some you simply won’t win because of the way the tiles work out. If you feel the opponent is one you should be able to beat, don’t be shy about retrying. If you find you still can’t beat him, maybe you’re taking the wrong approach. Share. Learn.

2 Likes
  1. This is all excellent advice and I cannot disagree with any of it.

2. Cup droppers are still muppets and ought to be mocked mercilessly.

3 Likes

I will bounce between 1800 cups and 2400+ cups. Streaks happen. I like to play with my defenses, rarely have the same one up for 2 days in a row. I feel all my heroes should get a chance to defend. I currently have a 3200 power team with a 3 star in it holding at 2000 to 2050 for the 2nd day. I like to experiment. I’m going to change it tomorrow and see how the next one does.

3 Likes

Yall are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!
I hope this helps many others.
Cheers and happy hunting!

Whaaat?! Come down to my cup level, leave 60k+ food in your tower and I’ll ruffle your feathers good! :wink:

5 Likes

Lol @Brobb.

Guess I’m Animal then :slight_smile:… definitely the coolest of the muppets.

I’ve been playing around with raids lately… tried out an all blue team for sh*t ‘n’ giggles. Absolutely loved it!

What I had to hand was Maxed Sonya, Grimm and Boril, with another 3/12 Boril and had to use a 3/39 valen with no troops to make up numbers.

I won 5 in a row… 3 of them with 2 or more 5* in the opponents. Ended up on 6 wins out of 10. It was so much fun. Give it a try if you haven’t already.

2 Likes

You’re correct that color stacking can work well and help equalize things a bit against high powered teams. It is really fun!

2 Likes