Raids Suck

For my part I’m a comfortable Platinum with my all 4* team… but really I now find it more of a schlepp than I did before. Yes, the encounters are more ‘interesting’, but note that the use of quotation marks is deliberate. With that interest comes a deal more frustration and my fair share of losses.

All I want is to fill my hero chest in a slightly less boring way… but instead my conscience won’t allow me to drop below platinum for some irrational fear of losing opportunities to get that (supposedly) better loot. So I wear my platinum tier like a sort of uncomfortable jacket, keeping a pseudo S&M love-hate relationship going with it.

I really like it when some eager beavers come raiding me and push me down to the start of platinum tier so I can rise up to about half-way again without too much grief.

(I experimented a bit with fielding a cup drop team to drop me in to late gold, and then I rise up to platinum again when I raid before claiming the chest… but it can prove a bit finicky and tricky to get right. So I’ll just keep hovering on low to mid Platinum).

1 Like

I seriously LOVE your attitude @AnjaValkyrie! How utterly refreshing!

I am a former US Marine, so doing things that are based on chance just rubs me the wrong way. Some chance is good because life doesn’t hand us things in a nice and predictable way, but neither is it totally random. The things I most enjoy are where my efforts are rewarded rather than mere chance.

Maybe, just maybe I can take your advice and raid without paying any attention to the ridiculous nature of lower level teams slaying mine. It will take strong acceptance of what you’ve suggested about filling the raid chest faster if I allow my team to lose in order to get to levels where four 5* heroes and one 4* can pick up some cups, with the understanding that I will get those raid chests, and possibly more elemental chests where the good loot is. (sorry, loooong sentence there!)

Hearty cheers to you!

2 Likes

Raid is about strategy, strategy can beat any 3000 team
So a weaker team here does beat a stronger team with strategy and board luck helps too.
And raiding is a necessity, fill those chests! Fill’em! Gotta fill’em and hope for some colored chests or loot!
And keep grinding my friend!

@ElvenArcher

Thank you very much indeed, I appreciate your praise :slight_smile:

Heck, this is a game, after all, and winning or losing is of no real importance.

I also raid with a team of four 5* and one 4*, by the way. Recently, after finishing my teams for each color titan, I became interested in learning more about raiding.

Drop me a note in Line, if you wish, Line id anja2017 . Then I can add you to a group where you can learn about raiding, from the best. That sure helped me, although I still need a lot of practise.

Oh, when you check your watch tower to see who just raided your keep, drank your beer and carried away your cups, then you see only that fighter’s current defense team. Often, that is NOT the attack team that they used to kick down your door :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This “game” is just annoying and unfair - losing 10 out of 10 raids against weaker teams over and over again - it’s ridiculous. Just NEVER spend any real money on this! Will NEVER pay off - trust me - I was stupid enough to try and I am an experienced gamer. There is absolutely NO value in it - safe your cash!!

I had similar opinion to Raids in the early days. It has changed somewhat, and while I don’t particularly LOVE it, I at least get on with it and can happily do them for the hero missions. (It actually is a nice break from map farming and Titans, really).

Consistently losing 10 out of 10 raids to weaker opponents indicates to me that you are either:

• Too low level at present. (Raids are no fun until you’ve built a decent team and preferably have some depth to it to be able to swap heroes to better match your opponent, or at least be able to afford to easily re-roll for better opponents

or

• Simply not approaching with the correct strategy. Do you double on the tank, or on dangerous opponent colour? Do you ghost to build your mana without opponent building theirs? Do you favour vertical lines to target single opponents over horizontal that build mana of several at once? Do you play with fast (or at worst average) mana regen heroes with offensive capabilities? Do you apply judgement as to when to trigger dragon shields and shards? Do you apply judgement as to when to trigger your specials? And most importantly: Do you re-roll your opponents to choose the ones you have good chance of taking down?

Really if you are applying some or all of these principles (and really I am no raiding expert by any means) you should be winning between 7 and 10 out of 10 of your raids until you hit your ‘wall’ (i.e. the highest you can climb in cups without facing really tough opposition). When you hit your wall you may lose more than you win for a bit and you’ll drop after which you’ll win more than you lose again… and so on.

Do you tweak your defence to keep yourself in a cup range that presents you with comfortable opponents? I do - I choose the low 2000 range to keep me in Platinum, but can still maintain my 80% (approx) win rate.

When I learned some of the correct principles of raiding, and more importantly, realised I have the power to tweak my cup level to ease my frustration level, they moved from a ‘hate’ relationship to an acceptance (at worst) and even some ‘like’ thrown in.

9 Likes

Opponents mana increases every turn, regardless of whether or not they are struck by a match attack. The fact that mana increases every turn for every defending hero is the biggest cause of imbalance in Raids.

1 Like

If you don’t hit them it increases only very slowly. And by ghosting tiles you get double the mana, so you should habe your specials up several times before the opponent (if you can get the tank down)

2 Likes

The biggest cause of imbalance in raids is that attackers get to choose whether or not to fight an opponent. The second biggest cause is that attackers get to tailor their team to beat a defender’s team. The third biggest is that the AI for a defender is monumentally stupid.

The fact that defenders’ mana charges a little bit each turn goes some tiny way towards redressing that imbalance, but only a tiny way. The attacker’s advantage is still vast.

4 Likes

I had mixed emotions about raiding when I first started. Now? I absolutely love raids! Why? Because I have gained a better appreciation of raiding and have found that it fits my definition of fun! That is, the outcome is not known and while you have a good amount of control on the outcome (re: offense) there is a significant amount of chance involved (i.e. tile distribution). The strategies involved are interesting! The old saying about “best laid plans” certainly is applicable when you get a crap board! Lol!

I hover around 2,200 to 2,400 cups. I lose about 70% of the raids when on defense (waking up in the morning is always a sobering reminder that I don’t have it all figured out yet!). However I win about 70% of my raids on offense. I am glad for the involuntary cup dropping in that it makes it easier to fill my raid chest.

Raids allow you to sharpen your skills for other areas of the game for very little real cost.

That’s my view. :smile:

3 Likes

As they said.
From my point of view, ghosting is THE strategy in raids. I work to clear a gap as soon as I can so I am able to ghost to charge my specials. This then allows me to kill more of theirs before they fill with mana.

Killing with tiles is only practical if you’ve doubled up on colour.

Of course there are other strategies involved, but really for me they boil down to ‘How can I open up a gap while granting the opponent the least amount of mana’. (I guess there may be some exotic builds and hero combos that allow you to take out many opponents without concentrating on ghosting, but quite frankly I don’t have the team to allow that… got to make do with what I’ve got. :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

absolutely!
For me, this is also the best … and most effective … way to go.

1 Like

I think raids are fun. The whole cup thing is annoying as I go anywhere between 800 and 1100 on any given day. That is what it is.

I raid for food now, that is my main goal.

Yeah it sucks when I lose but it is part of the game. But when I get the board in my favor it is quite fun to watch.

Maybe all this is because I am new, but I kind of wish the energy was faster.

1 Like

edit to the above post: If you wanna cup drop and give me some food let me know. I will make sure to come on over :smile:

2 Likes

Agree. I am here to post same suck here but found this thread. I was a week away and could not access game this period. When I turned back I saw i lost around 250 cups and mostly in same day within a couple of hours. Come on Small Giant programmers; no chance to win at least once i was not in the game! Agree in case if some revenge matches i can loose but i should win when compared to squad, team power and many other criterias!
Well my strongest player is Wu Kong but today refilled 3 times 6 games (total 18 raids) and barely yellow definetely on opposite places… this is annoying indeed because you get cups 10-20 but loose in 40-50 on contrary… I guess I had lost another 120 cups or so at the end of the day…

Raids are hard early on I good this, they are great now, of you use a hero of each colour you are likely not going to win at raids very often. ITV had helped me under the need for more heroes and a greater spread. With multiple colour heroes for example, Grimm and Perseus, I look to target teams with a red presence, reroll and even with half decent blue gems it will obliterate Azlar for example. Keep at it, you have to be smart and then judge your strategy based on the board you get.

I don’t know anything about you or your level. I am willing to bet you are 3200-3500 team power. This is the point I reached and raids started to suck.

If I may offer way way way too much advice. Search for raidind in the top 1000. I have written stupidly long in the topic and how to get out of the “suck”

This is a really cool game. I hated raiding, but now I love it. I just needed a little bit of new information.

My 2 cents…

3 Likes

@Wormwood posted a cool video about a 3 man raid team. Check it out. Just another strategy to use to make them interesting again.

To be honest I like them. I will steal your food all day long if I could. Maybe not yours because your team is probably stronger than mine but you get what I am saying.

Happy Raiding! :wink:

I agree, but when you become stronger, you’ll:
Find a baseline formula for success and
Your Hero Lineup will be better suited for opponents.

Remember tho, board layout and tile placement cannot be accounted for in developing your RAID strategy

1 Like

None of your assumptions is correct. I am using the right colors and capabilities. My team is stronger than 3400 and I have several 5 star heros. It‘s always the same - you win a couple, then lose even more. It‘s just frustrating, that‘s all. And you never win anything except ressources.