Raids: fair or unfair?

You seem unusually agitated: I sincerely don’t understand why.

Here’s your very first post to the forum, which happened in this thread:

Later, you explained (in an awful, inconsiderate format), that you believed:

(We don’t have a metric for ‘strength’, btw, so I assume you’re talking about TP.)

So I think we all assume that the point you’re trying to make is that you’re struggling at times to beat teams that are dramatically weaker than you by TP.

If this is the case then you’re doing something horribly wrong: raid attackers have such massive advantages that you ought to beat relatively weak defensive teams with ease every time. We’re trying to figure out how you’re messing up, and we’re trying to give you advice that will help you fix your problem.

This seems to be annoying you. I don’t know why.

So now I have carefully read up and I remain perplexed about what you are trying to communicate, if it’s not what we have identified. Allow me to “ask[…] the point”, if that’s your objective.

What’s your point?

So be oblivious that it takes months to increase your cards. Be oblivious that it takes more time to find a “beatable” opponent in a raid.

I’ll accept mediocrity and stay in the “gold” phase because that’s best for “strategy”

At least if I stay in cold, I can constantly change my cards to appease the stupidity.

I lost 49 cups yesterday to this team…

While using this team…

That’s nearly 300 points of separation. Maybe I should’ve stacked more Nature against Boril or more Dark against Wu Kong? Hard to say. Was the board in my favor? Not really. But it goes without saying, RNG does give you bad boards sometimes and other times the boards are good.

Here is sound advice I gave another player in a different topic on a similar issue where they felt justified in rerolling for opponents lower in Team Power because they were perceived as “weaker”…

Looking back (because it has been a while here), how about you enlighten me on how your defense team has anything to do with the (un)fairness of raids when attacking? That was what I was discussing (with someone else). Somehow you interjected some comment about defense into it and then got all huffy when I corrected you.

Edit: oops, actually you weren’t the one who interjected the comment. Sorry for not correcting you earlier.

1 Like

I am not following that strategy at all. Snipers are weakened IMHO by embleming on the defense route. My strategy is to build my team around a combination of defense and attack. Defense to make it more survivable if the starting board is bad, and attack to be able to actually do something against the opponent. Making a sniper defensive takes away from the sniper’s main role, which is to kill the opponent.

2 Likes

To address the original question:

Yes, raids are fair because they affect everyone like this equally.

It’s how you overcome this that separates you.

2 Likes

No. There is no need for being oblivious. However, setting correct expectations helps avoiding disappointment. This game is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes months, even years to build a roster deep enough for being successful in all the aspects of the game.
On the light side, you can enjoy the game at any stage if you know what to expect and how to progress.
All people who replied you really want you to avoid common mistakes in the game, so that you can get pleasure in it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Since I dont own a hero of the month :smile: I dont know your heros to well…but if I remember correctely none of them is a dispeller! :wink:

I think you are making a good general case statement, but I think there are specific instances where its better not to follow the general rule. For example Mel is a healer and the common rule of taking the defense path I don’t think is optimal for him if your primary goal for him is on titan support. An 810 attack that can keep the team alive is a beautiful thing against a titan.

True. A buff dispeller probably would have been useful, but I was mainly just illustrating a point that Team Power is irrelevant. Sometimes teams that are 300 TP less than ours can’t be beaten with the heroes that we have. Any belief to the contrary is naive and vain.

Aderbt’s assertion to @Brobb that the game is out to get him because he’s losing a lot of raids to weaker teams (by TP statutes) is false.

2 Likes

The pattern I see is many people think this game is a simple spray-and-pray matcher, and the only difference between heroes is team power. With those parameters, it wouldn’t make sense for a team to consistently lose to weaker teams. In order for people to accept that the game is not out to get them, they need to be willing to accept several things as given or proven.

1. Not all heroes are created equal. Even among heroes of the same rarity and power rating, some are notably better than others. Team construction is a learned skill.
  2. Tiles are random, both in starting board and replacement tiles.
  3. Tile play is much more than just spray-and-pray. Ghosting, creating diamonds and dragons, dumping dead tiles safely, moving strong tiles where you want them, and timing of when to use special tiles are all skills that can be learned and refined.
7 Likes

Here is sample that Team Power does not a big factor.

2 Likes

Again you skipped over when the moderator wanted a screen shot. I gave a screen shot of a team that I lost 2 times in a row that was 300 less than my power.

So… if you want to assume that team power doesn’t matter, why do we level up our cards? Why do is it an option?

Really?

You still miss the point: team power alone is not a reliable parameter. See the example above provided by @jinbatsu.

Cards must be maxed because maxed hero is much more powerful than an unlevelled one. However, it is not the point about team power. Say, I can take 3 maxed 5* heroes and flank them with 2 3*. Overall team power is 3500. Guess how easy it will be to defeat this team with 4* attack team?

Another example: defense team has a strong healer in a middle and weaker hitters around it. Overall power can be considerably less than an attacking rainbow team. However, unless you are extremely lucky with a board, defense will heal themselves faster then you inflict damage. At the same time hitters will reduce health of your heroes and eventually you’ll be defeated.

So, the bottom line is this: read hero descriptions. It is more informative than an integral team power. There are very useful topics here on the forum that review various possible defenses and ways to counter them most effectively.

6 Likes

Why did you think our beloved mod asked for a screen shot? Did you think it was because she wanted you to prove what you said was accurate? Did you think she didn’t initially believe you? Your complaint is extremely common so I don’t think that is right (though I could be wrong - perhaps @Rook could confirm).

I think she asked you for a screenshot so we could look at one of the teams who beat you, and look at your team, then identify what you are doing wrong and provide you with some advice to help you fix your mistakes.

We level up our heroes to make them more powerful. But TP doesn’t really measure that. It doesn’t tell you whether your heroes’ specials complement each other, whether they’re better suited to attack or to defence, whether there are any opponents they are particularly vulnerable to or are particularly likely to dominate, whether they’re a team suited to an attritional play style or a philosophy of all-out attack, or whether they will generate high variance damage or more consistent results.

TP, in other words, tells you almost nothing about actual team power. If you take nothing else from this thread, please try to understand that.

7 Likes

I would’ve recommended a different line-up of heroes or moved on to someone else to attack because sometimes you won’t get good boards against " weaker" teams… and yes, it can happen more than two times in a row.

I lost to a team last night more than 400 team power less than me, and yes, the board sucked. I left 50 cups with that player and moved on with my life because a re-raid only to lose 40+ more trophies, which now had a higher probability of happening, wasn’t worth it to me.

1 Like

Wait. You didn’t bring a healer against these guys? And I’d take an aggressive attacker in Khiona at 3/70 with “Pissed-off Attack Boost” over a passive evader like Inari at 3/70 all day any day. And Buddy at +6?? Another aggressive attacker with AVERAGE mana speed probably helped Scarlett take out your Caedmon since Buddy deals -24% Attack and -34% Defense against the target and nearby enemies for 3 turns on top of an Elf Minion for himself and nearby allies. Your opponent’s two 3*+20 heroes are also FAST mana generators and at that level is very comparable to fully maxed 4* heroes and both do 300% damage to the target at that level. Valen and Bane are two of the strongest single target hitters among all Rare heroes (and they are very wisely guarded on the wings where you probably struggled for tile damage). Only Squire Wabbit, Berden, Mnesseus, Balthazar, and Tyrum do more damage to a target than those two among all 3* heroes, plus Valen adds Defense Down to the target while Bane blinds his. Scarlett is also a FAST mana generator and sort of underrated among Epic Fire heroes. Most players don’t like her because she only does 215% damage to a target with minor damage to nearby enemies, BUT she adds -34% Attack against the target and nearby enemies for 6 turns AND it stacks with Buddy’s -24% Attack ailment. You probably struggled for any damage against these guys.

Colen’s mana speed is SLOW, and Caedmon is the only FAST guy you have and he only hits a single target. His buff dispeller would’ve only been useful against Khiona because the other four enemies are ailment inflicters against your team, and you don’t have a Rigard or other ailment dispeller on your team.

What possessed you to think that this was an automatic win? Team power??? You need to humble yourself and learn your heroes. Because unless you get a strong cascade of tiles, this opponent will kick anyone’s @$$ with the heroes you used. Even a moderately decent board isn’t a guaranteed win against those guys.

6 Likes

It was this. ^ :slight_smile:

20 requests for screenshots

4 Likes

A team that was closer to 225-ish less in Team Power compared to “more than 300” as stated by the poster.

1 Like

waits for screenshot in order to look over team synergies as well as TP :wink:

2 Likes