Raids: fair or unfair?

I’ve stopped raids myself. I don’t revenge raids. It’s complete waste of time to me.
Yesterday I got beat by an attacking player with a score 800+ lower than my team. Higher score opponents I lose, equal score opponents I lose, lower score I lose, so there’s no idea in raids to me. Primarily it’s bullies attacking me, so here’s no reason to seek revenge either, I would lose again.
The only way to improve my trophies would for me to be a bully, and that collides with my view on fairness.
That’s why NOT raiding is my way to hang on to the few trophies I’ve already got, no reason to give them away voluntarily.
Can’t remember when I was on a raid myself, and have settled with the thought of not getting the “heroes” chest, since there’s no carrot for me in that part of the game. The change in less won/more lost sure didn’t improve my lust to participate in raids. Lucky my alliance accept this (so far) since all I seem to do is making team score less attractive as I see no reason to waste my time. (A team member who deliberately drags team score down by not doing raids). And about luck, in my life it’s non existent and therefore not an option to hope for either.

Countless times I’ve wondered if it’s even worth continuing, or just throw in the towel and delete app right away. But fair no it isn’t!

You should set a weak team as x5 1 :star: heroes and pick on the weak:
both sides are cheesing and noone is a bully.

Or try to attack strong heroes:
Or you win and winning isn’t a waste of time or if you’ll lose you can flee the battle: still no waste of time :wink:

You understand that the team someone uses to attack you is not necessarily the team they used to attack, yes? It’s impossible to know whether your team lost to a team 800+ lower than you – only that their defensive squad is that much lower. These people are dropping cups, so they can find easier raids to fill their Hero Wanted chest.

I find it extremely helpful to think of raiding as a puzzle, not as “beating Fleshpeeler” or “hitting back at the bully”. Each of us has set out a puzzle: our defense team. Your challenge, if you choose to accept, is to “solve” my puzzle by winning a raid against them. Depersonalizing raids in this way helps me enjoy raids more.

If you are having trouble winning raids consistently, that suggests to me that there are some improvements you could make in your strategy. There are three core elements to raid strategy:

1. Choosing whether you want to accept a raid or re-roll
  2. Selecting your team for the particular raid
  3. Playing the boards skillfully

Clearly #2 impacts #1: as you’re thinking about whether to accept a raid, you’re also trying to imagine what heroes you might bring to carry the day.

@Blaaarggle_Blaa wrote three excellent guides to raiding that really drill down into the fine points. I strongly urge everyone who has trouble winning raids consistently (i.e. at least 50%) to give these a read:

2 Likes

I’ve tried by brute force (the best possible at that time I think was 1800) and I lose. I’ve tried to put in healers, they’re toast before reaching special abilities halfway.
If Kashrek is part of a team, I don’t go anywhere near, last fight he supposedly would give 40%, in reality they got 100 % strength.
Once I had the audacity to think “I’ll manage this fight” opponent one Kashrek strength 625, cost me a 2100 team and cannot remember how many trophies.
Ive looked at the heroes im up against, tried to set up individual teams to correspond or “be better than”, and it doesn’t matter.

At least by NOT raiding I don’t get annoyed by failing all the time. When NOT raiding, there’s at least a miniscule chance of winning, and this way earn trophies which I’m going to lose sooner than later anyway.

There’s nothing appealing to me by the way raids are, it would only build up a frustration bigger than the one I feel for letting down the alliance not adding to teamscore.

Oh and yes I’m very aware that the person who attacked me and won most likely didn’t use her 1425 team against my 2257 defence team.

Me too! I have 4* and 5* heroes awaiting ascension items for 3 months now. I haven’t seen a glove for so long!

Yea i think it is unfair aswell. @JimMe kicked my ■■■ becouse he was lucky more then me :frowning:
I would like to ban luck !

But now serriously. Raids are about try to mitigate as much attackers as you can. For it you need to choose and find perfect setup of heroes. When your opponent is really lucky, you cannot do anything, just die. My defence team is really bad, becouse i am F2P but still i can win a lot raids. I am allways find players who give me 40points when i win and -15 if i loose. And change my attack team depend on defended heroes. So when i play i am going really fast up and during the night really fast down. And i can revenge this players becouse they give me again a lot of points. And i can check how much resourses they have. So revenge is really usefull.

But what is bad is, that in top500 almost everyone have same setup of defence team. But at leats i do not need change my team setup :slight_smile:

The entire raid model is pretty crap and pvp in this entire genre is a farce

I think it is unfair how you check out a team you are going to raid to see if you have a chance… You find a team that is way underpowered compaired to your own, including troops and heroes, and yet no matter how many times you retry, you can’t seem to beat them… I have spent money on my account, got some great heroes, have spent a lot of times leveling them up, and a team with much lower attack power, less training, and lower special attacks are still beating me… This game is not very fair at all at times, and I am starting to wonder why I have spent over $150 on gems and heroes, to be beaten by lower levels…

Becouse Gods left you. To beat someone weaker is not fair at all. Shame on you

1 Like

it was a test to see why I continually lose no matter what level I fight… You say shame on me, shame on 99% of everyone who plays the game and attacks lower level players… I get attacked by players that are 10 levels higher than me

Could be cupdropers, could be you are good or lucky in raids. I have good days and also bad days. Few days ago I was 11th globally for about 1 hr. Then I dropped out of Diamond arena. Today I was 44th and now slowly dropping down. Climbing and falling is part of this game.

I don’t have top team, playing with three 5* 4/80 and two 4* 4/70. Offense and defense. Vivica is coming but she is not ready yet.

1 Like

YES! This is exactly what I came here to say. The game decides who will win before a raid has even started. Here’s why:

The first reason is really really simple: when a raid goes bad, everything goes bad. You get a really lousy board, attacks seem to do half the damage they usually do and enemies simply refuse to die. It’s only in these bad raids that you give an enemy what should be the last push, but nothing happens. You give him another last push and you’re dead certain that this HAS to be it, but in some miraculous way the enemy outlives it again, and gets healed immediately after. This doesn’t happen rarely either. It happens many times once the raids start to go bad. And there’s the next clue: when thing have turned sour in your raids, you’d better stop, because nothing is going to change anytime soon. Your raids will continue to leave you completely powerless to do anything against your enemy at all, even against clearly weaker teams. Well, that’s not how randomizers work and that’s not how bad luck in games work. Sure, there are things like streaks of bad luck, it can happen sometimes, but bad luck in games certainly does not always come in waves of many matches in a row. In raids however, somehow it does. The final clue is that this ONLY happens in raids. In all other fights, you can have particularly good ones or particularly bad ones every once in a while, but the in the next fight it’s usually completely different. Also most other fights are usually average when it comes to ‘luck’, with only every now and then a particularly good or bad one, where raids most of the time seem to be either extremely bad or extremely good (I’ve highlighted the bad raids because those are the most frustrating, but when the raids are in your favour, equally amazing sequences of events occur, like massive combo’s just when you think you’re going to lose that one). All of this has lead me to utterly hate the raids and if they weren’t part of an otherwise good game, I would stop playing them from this moment on.

Seems like you really don’t enjoy raids. Your experience is totally foreign to me. Maybe you just need to refine your strategy a little, or perhaps ponder the effect your changing trophy totals, or opponent selections, or your raiding time of day might be having on things.

Or you could just attribute your perception to the game being coded to frustrate you, because there’s clearly a big incentive for the devs to devote time and resources to that. I suppose that would be another way to think about it.

2 Likes

For many raids in a row, the board is so lousy that you have to search for a possibility in stead of choosing the strategically best one, and where at best (!) you get one or two combo’s of 2 each in the entire raid. And this didn’t happen once, it happens on an almost daily basis. This has nothing to do with perception. In fact, I recognize the pattern these days at the very beginning of the raid and when I do I already know that I will lose. And I haven’t been wrong about that very often! Also, this is definitely not just me. When I asked in my alliance if they recognised this phenomena, they started laughing and said, yes they knew it all too well.

As for why this is happening, I don’t have a clue of course. No, I don’t believe that Small Giant intentionally wants to frustrate players. Of course they don’t. Maybe they built in a few mechanisms to ensure that players don’t do too well in raids? I don’t know your level of trophees of course, but what might distinguish me from you is that I’m usually pretty high in number of cups compared to my tp. Right now I’ve fallen back really badly and… the raid seem to have gotten back to normal. But this is just a one time experience so far, so I can’t draw any conclusions from that. Another possibility could perhaps be a badly designed general ‘luck’ randomizer? Like I said, I don’t know. I only know what kind of behaviour I observe.

Or you’re seeing things that aren’t there, then seeking and receiving confirmation from other players who similarly are not attempting to test their perception. The feedback you have received does not sound valuable.

I’d like to suggest a way you could robustly test your suspicions, but I’m struggling a little bit to identify the essence of your complaint.

You get runs of bad boards sometimes? You should. When you start a raid believing you will lose, you usually lose? That’s hardly surprising. You get streaks of tough raids and streaks of easy raids? We’d expect that under almost any model. You find raids tougher when you have many trophies than when you have few trophies? This is what ought to happen.

The experience you are describing sounds like the system working perfectly well, randomness expressing itself, and perhaps you struggling a little bid with some raid skills. All of this is fine.

(I start most days with about 2500 trophies and finish most days with about 2700 trophies, though I don’t think that’s relevant to our considerations.)

Look man, I’m a computer analyst and tester. I most definitely do not see things that are not there. And to be honest, after my detailed information I’m struggling a bit not to feel offended by that suggestion.

If you believe that the randomizers are doing a good job, creating the situation I described, then please read again what I have written before. I myself already stated that streaks of bad luck are completely normal, but I also carefully explained the difference with what I’m experiencing in the raids. And do you actually think I stop trying if I see the early signs of a hopeless raid? And that just losing the raid will be enough of a confirmation for me?

And no, a randomizer should not create a steady up and down pattern per raid, this is true, but it should also not create only long lasting waves. BOTH are reliable indications of bad randomizing or of other influences that interfere. And also, remember that I’m not just speaking of ONE aspect in the raids that go bad, the entire package does. Yet another thing that shouldn’t occur in a well randomizer game.

Fights should definitely NOT get harder to win based on the amount of trophees one has, that doesn’t make any sense. They should be harder to win based on the strength of your opponent and yes, when you have more trophees the opponents get stronger. ON AVERAGE. For this reason I spend tons of food to find opponents which are still in my league when I have many trophees. And my criteria for selecting an opponent doesn’t vary with the number of trophees I have at that time. So no, having relatively many trophees should NOT mean losing more raids. It only means losing more trophees when you lose.

Okay, here’s the essence of the complaint, the thing that’s really bothering me. The amount of times that I spend a full set of raid energy and find myself completely without the slightest bit of influence on the negative outcome of at least 5 of the raids is way, way, way too high for chance. In the same fashion there are times where you can’t lose them even if you tried (although equally wrong, this doesn’t bother me as much of course). The amount of raids in between should be a vast majority by the rules of chance, but are not. Far from it. It usually is either all or nothing and that is not right, even without the waves.

1 Like

It’s a match 3 game: what you are describing are the usual vicissitudes of board composition. It is to your discredit that you think your own perception of disadvantageous patterns has anything more than the most minimal value. Humans are pattern-recognition machines. We see tigers in the long grass and Elvis in burnt toast - that doesn’t mean they’re really there.

You’re an analyst? Then stop relying on how you are feeling and conduct some analysis. Identify what you think the problem is, work out how to test your theory then gather some data to do it. This whole ‘the game must be against me because I lose raids’ thing is pretty old around here.

(And while you’re doing the work, maybe you’d like to try to imagine what possible incentive SG would have to code losing streaks into raiding.)

1 Like

You didn’t read what I wrote in the beginning at all did you. Or you’re choosing to ignore half of it. Either way, it’s all in my texts and if you willingly or not ignore important parts of it, this discussion is going nowhere.

I wont start discussing about how boards could possibly be against you here. There’s another topic for this Skewed tile drops.

I believe everyone at the moment.
I partly believe Dev’s their reply saying the boards are completely random.
I partly believe people having the feeling it actually is not.
I partly believe myself who has not yet experienced these feelings.
I partly believe @Brobb who says it is a matter of perception.

Until someone has provided proof raids sometimes are programmed to be against you or not, it will all be just assumptions to me and everyone could be right or wrong. Simply because, in my opinion, feelings aren’t great arguments. No matter if they are shared by a lot of people or not. So, my strongest believe will be in what the Dev’s have said:

Now to step away from the boards for a second, did you ever pay close attention to:

1. Which heroes and special abilities have you used?
  2. Which heroes and special abilities have been used against you?
  3. How was this in relation to each other?

If all goes well, these variables change in almost every raid. This simply has an enormous influence on the survivability of your heroes and those of your opponent and thus also on the course of the raid.

What I do believe is that your special attacks and tile attacks will not have different damage outputs under the exact same circumstances, such as active special abilities, shield and hp level of heroes, troops etc. I think it only seems/feels like so, because of the lousy board you have been dealing with during that raid. A matter of perception again.

Again, the boards-problem is one I can’t have a definite view about. I have no clue how randomization works related to boardsystems as in E&P. My arguments will be feelings. And I just said feeling-arguments are weak to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes