Raids: fair or unfair?

I hate to break it to you, but the pattern you have described strongly indicates that you are bad at the game.

If you are not being attacked it is because players look at your defence team and are intimidated - they think that at your level of trophies you are too powerful for them to defeat. This should provide you with the opportunity to wreak havoc on attack - to harvest hundreds of trophies, so that next time you go offline you look like a fat whale ready to be harpooned, and other players attack you relentlessly.

But you can’t get those trophies up high enough to make yourself a target, huh? You have “lost loads” to defending teams? Then you’re doing something wrong on attack. Maybe it’s your team composition, maybe it’s your opponent selection, maybe it’s your in-raid tactics - you’re definitely bad at something.

My best guess, given your comments about team power and your “lost loads” line, is that it’s a combination of things. You might have built your team to have as high a team power score as it can, not recognising that team power can be massively misleading. You might select opponents with consistently lower power and lower trophies than you, thinking that this will make your life easier - it’s the wrong way to choose opponents and it won’t make things easier at all. And even if you are a fabulous tactician, that won’t save you if you’re already suffering from the handicaps I have described - but who’s to tell if you have a feel for tactics, either.

Let me be generous for a minute: there is one other possibility. Perhaps you have a viciously effective defensive team that is total rubbish on attack. Perhaps you haven’t recognised that fact yet.

1 Like

First, Brobb, I respect your abilities and your opinions…BUT play nice. I know raiding is mana to you, but slow your roll a bit.

I thi k raiding is wonderful, too. My reason is the machine has to be fed. It is used by me for forage only, and trophies be darned.

In my raiding, though, I have seen both sides of the argument in action. My 2800 power team has been matched with teams 400 points on either side of me. All because of the other teams trophy count.

Of course, that is obvious; however, no one looks at how those teams came to their trophy level. I believe the higher team has been losing and the lower winning…again, obvious…right?

Brobb may be right about team make up and positions, or maybe closer attention needs to be paid to what that defending team is composed of. I run from teams 200 power points below me that have 100+ trophies more than me if I see a couple tanky healers.

You good sense in who you attack. Somebody calls me a coward or bully is someone in the top tier, or they are bleeding trophys.

Remember when you are kvetching about the defense that the owner is off line and you can set whatever team against him that you feel will win. That is your first advantage. The second is you can reroll

There is one unfair advantage the defense does have: the 20% add-on in power. (I believe I have seen that in print here from various guys such as dante and revelate.)

If that advatage is there, when added to an attack buff…unfair. My example would be LJ getting an attack buff from Brienne (remember the same color power add too) on top of the defense’s 20%. That is too much. The computer can cancel the higher or lower as the devs see fit, but lower something.

One last thing…if you are being raided regularly, how much are you losing in assets vs trophies?

A clean larder or a watchtower no higher than 6th level will cut out alot. The guys filling chests are also looking for the easy target.

@Jags666 In case you haven’t noticed, you’re not allowed to vent or complain without Brobb throwing insults. It seems that he’s convinced that if he’s polite about it, then it’s cool and no one will be offended.

4 Likes

Seems like we pretty much agree, so I’m not entirely certainly why my ‘roll’ ought to be ‘slowed’. I am playing entirely nicely.

This objection aside, your points are all excellent, except for your complaint about the 20% power boost to defenders. Attackers have such vast advantages that a 20% boost for defenders in an absolute minimum requirement, and it still leaves the defence team hugely disadvantaged.

I’d be fascinated to hear where exactly you think I have been insulting. I’ve re-read my post, hunting through it for insults, and haven’t found any. Maybe I’ve included some secret, invisible insults that only you can see?

Glad I’m not the only one that thinks that

As soon as someone writes a complaint incomes Brobb typing up essays on why he’s right :joy:

3 Likes

Maybe this?

“I hate to break it to you, but the pattern you have described strongly indicates that you are bad at the game.”

Just because you’re using polite langue, that doesn’t mean your not insulting people. Plus, you are painfully condescending in every post. Maybe instead of trying to point out why everyone is wrong, you could try giving advice that might actually help.

In any case, I’m just going to avoid you. Feel free to do the same with me. I don’t have time to argue online about a game with people I don’t even know. I’ve got some Curling to watch.

5 Likes

And how is it insulting to point out that a person is bad at the game, based on the evidence they have submitted themselves? That is utterly irrational.

Bye bye.

It’s not my intention to kick in open doors here, but it would be an exaggeration to call you a master of the art of giving advice without belittling the receiver.

That’s so artfully put that I’m loath to disgrace, but I feel like I must in all good conscience ask: how, here, have I belittled the receiver of my advice? Do you too feel that it is insulting - or belittling - to suggest that a player is bad at a game? How so, exactly?

I think it’s a judgement that’s better off being left unsaid. It’s not constructive, and serves no other purpose than to understate that you are superior to the player in question. The constructive advise you actually do offer stands very well on their own feet :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

I think it’s constructive in that it grounds and motivates the advice. Unless we accept the premise that the player under consideration is doing something quite wrong, then advice is pretty pointless. If the judgement were left unsaid, how would anyone be better off?

As to the idea that my pointing out that someone is a bad player is somehow asserting that I am superior to them, I feel like that is bad craziness. I’m a 16 year old with a major in onanism and a minor in halitosis. I’m superior to no one. :wink:

What a condecending and judgmental response.

So what you are basically saying is that by creating the best attacking and defensive teams I can with the characters I’ve been given I’m playing the game wrong thus a bad player?

When I raid, I look at the set up of an opponent to see if I have a reasonable chance of victory. If so I will then look at the reward to see if it is worth the risk.

This method has held me in good stead and I generally win more than I lose. And you know what, all the teams I have successes against and the closest battles are all around the same team power as me. Funny that!

My complaint is that I am constantly being match against superior teams, which I would have no chance of beating, purely based on the number of trophies held. I therefore have to use resources to reroll until I get a suitable opponent. If matchmaking was done on team power then I would be matched with opponents within my teams abitly range irrespective of how many trophies they have.

As for the ‘lost loads’ comment; it was not a complaint but a statement of fact. The point you clearly seemed to miss was that while I have lost trophies to others while attacking, I have not benefited from being attacked in any way - win or lose

If I am not being attacked because I don’t present an attractive target to my opponents, again this is down to the matchmaking system being decided on trophies and being match with higher levelled teams.

1 Like

You’re both very sensitive, and a little confused about the implications of the matchmaking system.

If you feel like your raid attacks are successful, then congratulations! Disregard all my previous advice.

(You see, @Maldoror, another reason that it’s necessary to point out when a player is bad? That’s how you can see how self aware they are.)

When the matchmaking system offers you targets to attack, then it is also offering you to those targets, for them to attack. Yet you find that you are not being attacked. Huh!

Why do you think it is that you are not an attractive target? Because you are weak, compared to the teams you are matched with, or because you are strong, compared to the teams you are matched with? Hmm…

(And what does this tell us about your skills on raid attack? Never mind - you’re happy with that part of the game.)

I have just seen some of your previous posts and I get it now.

You seek the attention of others by consistently being rude and insultive in order to provoke further responses.

Well ths is the last one from me you sad strange little kid. You need to grow up.

2 Likes

You are absolutely correct on all counts. (Edit: apart from “insultive”. That’s not a word.) This does not change the fact that you seem to be bad at raid attacks and would benefit from taking some advice to sort that out.

1. You state there that trophies are a measure of success, so why do you deem it unfair to match opponents by using their respective success? It’s a logical rubber banding method. If you matched by team power, you’re still collecting trophies for wins, but only from players with a team power level similar to yours, meaning before long you’re skewing the top rankings because the better players are denied the chance to knock weaker ones back down a peg.
    I defend with a team power around 3650, and attack with one around 100 points lower, and hover consistently between 2200-2400 trophies without having to try. When attacking, I can roll teams as low as 3300 and lose to some, depending on composition, and as high as 4100 or so, and win more of those than I lose (obviously I pick my battles against much stronger teams, but I know there are massively stronger setups that I can beat), when I check my watch tower in the morning I always see defence results ranging from anywhere between -50 to +50, leading me to think that all players are in the same boat as me; a fight can go either way, regardless of supposed team strength. I don’t raid to compete, I’ll either drop cups to raid for resources if I need them, or raid for fun if i dont. I don’t want to be denied the chance to steal 50 cups off a team 600 points higher than mine if I’m raiding for fun. You could argue for tightening the margins from the current +/-280 or 300, whatever it is, but I like it the way it is.

2. Meh. It’s to counteract the lack of conscious control. Maybe it is a bit heavy handed, I know how to anticipate it but I can see why it frustrates people. It has been changed in the past, maybe it will be tweaked again.

3. Not really sure what you’re getting at here. If you’re saying you never get hit, it’s because presumably you’re in a low/medium trophy bracket, where you’re just one of hundreds of thousands of people who could be rolled by any single player. As your trophy count goes up, the air gets thinner and you become more visible. Get up to 2400 and you’ll be hit 10-15 times overnight. If you’re just saying that your defence team always loses, then you obviously need to change it.

2 Likes

The only unfair thing on raids, RNG aside, is that no matter how good you are on attack and how many trophies you’ll manage to get, if you don’t have a defensive team strong enough you’ll lose your efforts overnight. If you bully a weaker defender you have a chance to lose more cups than the one you gained on a revenge, if you attack a strong defender you could also lose on attack and then be also “revenged”.

Games like Clash of Clans have shields mechanics but its also true that this is possible thanks to the 42.524.331 CoC’s VS the 385.474 E&P downloads, so 'till we’ll not have enough numbers I don’t think such mechanics will be possible and trophies will only reflect how good heroes you have (70%, defensive team management its only a little part) and how good you are on attack (30%).

I agree with @Rook, I hover between two cup numbers and in the end it’s pretty consistent. I’ve been working on a bunch of 5* but until I roll them out I don’t expect that to change.

In fact, I feel like one of the issues this game is slowly facing is that more and more players are slowly accumulating teams of 5* and becoming more equal. In other words, players are slowly bubbling to the top but the top itself isn’t changing. A few months ago I had 2600 cups, and there were lots of players over 3000. Now, with a stronger team, I can’t stay above 2400 and there’s usually 3 or players, if that, above 3000.

1 Like

Yup, there’s a ceiling. All heroes and troops have a max level, once players are hitting that there’s nowhere to go, just fighting off more and more players who are catching you up.