Raids are unfair, but not for the reasons you think - Raids MASTER

It was me that ‘never’ posted it. I posted a mass screenshot of all my raids along with data. Again, I can post, you along with others respond, still won’t believe. The screenshot was given props because it wasn’t one or two, rather the collection of a group that was all in one pic. You might want to go back and read ‘skewed tile drops’

As you can see at the bottom of the pic, there are hundreds more. This picture will be deleted and others will ask again. My book corresponds with these pics, in order, color for color. I have a life, no time to sit around and fabricate this. Again, I don’t find raiding unfair, only remarking that the opening boards don’t favor the attacking team, probably to keep things even. Nor do I find this a problem as far as winning. Im not complaining either, only an observation… I had to add the last 4 lines to beat others to the punch. Sorry

Ah! Welcome back! I’m sorry I missed your data dump - I was really looking forward to it.

I’m disappointed to hear you posted screenshots (they’re useless and annoying), but I’m really pleased you have provided your data. I’ll search for the thread name you mentioned, but perhaps for the benefit of others you could post a link to it, here?

Would you like me to go ahead and look at the data you already posted, or wait until you have added your more recent numbers? It’s bad practice to do both and I’ll happily be guided by you.

After I’ve had a chance to play with your data, would you like me to post the analysis here or in that other thread?

I’d love for you to do that as I don’t have time. I’m ‘working ‘ now! Summer and fall are crazy busy for me. I’d love to just hand this book off and be done with the whole thing. People call you names and insult you for putting up data, that’s why I never continued with the last ones. Then mysteriously everything gets deleted. As it doesn’t affect the way I play I’m kinda done with it. But I’m quite sure the last 400 will not differ from the first 600, give or take

I went back to the Skewed tile drops thread, but I don’t see your data there. Your last post said

so that’s kinda what I have been expecting to happen. As matters stand, I don’t see any data there that I can crunch up.

I’m quite happy to do a bit of work on this, but for now it seems that there is nothing to work on.

Details are flooding back to my soggy brain. I assumed you had given up on your data and disappeared, because you suggested that your headline number seemed to be reverting towards a mean of 7. Here’s your last post in full.

I’m happy to help with data, as always, but I haven’t seen any yet.

Figures… I put the first 500 up . Not sure why it keeps going away… I will post to this thread and that by the weekend. At least the first part. I still haven’t tallied the last ones up

WHY ARE THE people that are on different versions allowed to raid those that have updated, but you CAN’T revenge them?? SERIOUSLY… how is that at all fair? I’ve lost all my trophies, tons of food, iron, etc… And cannot revenge back. SERIOUSLY 8-10 raids a day, maybe 4 that I can revenge…

Short answer: they can’t.
What happens is that the update is staggered in release by the Apple and Google stores, so they raid thoee the game allows them to, then get the update.
While some people may take advantage of this to minimize revenges, I think most people would update to the latest version as soon as they can.
https://support.smallgiantgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004743325-Why-can-t-I-view-profiles-of-some-players-and-or-Raid-them-after-the-update-

2 Likes

Very informative information, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge of Raids.
In one of your sections you talk about, “Do you want to ghost tiles…?” Can you elaborate on what that means?

Ghosting tiles is when you send them through an empty space so they don’t hit anything. Those tiles will count double for charging your mana, while not charging your opponent. This let’s you fire your specials off sooner

2 Likes

Okay, it’s been a while since I participated in this thread. I’ve done a lot of thinking and a lot of raids. My team has gotten significantly better since then with a number of 4* and 1 x 5*, missing it’s last level, although I still have a colour issue: no green or purple 4*/5" at all. Until today that is.

The raids have been fun most of the time (but at times still frustrating) and I’ve learned quite a bit about raids in the process, leading me to attack any opponent who has a tank that I should be able to handle and who gives me a good win/lose ratio cupwise. My max tp is around 3440 now and I’ve won of plenty of 4k+ teams. I’d like to share my observations and conclusions now.

First of all, let’s look at the real problem. The real problem is not that raids are unfair or that boards are not completely random. The real problem is that raids are frustrating for way too many people. I’ve seen plenty of complaints here about the never ending stream of people complaining about raids. Did anyone ever stop to think that there must be a reason for this never ending stream? Obviously the raids are not working for many, many players. The fact that this may be partially or completely caused by perception is irrelevant in the end. People play to have a good time, and clearly many are not when playing the raids.

The main problem as I see it are the boards. It’s quite possible that they are, indeed, completely random. But this might actually be the problem. Luck is a huge factor in this game. The exact amount of damage per tile is determined by luck (within a range), the board is determined by luck, the effectiveness of the actions of the defence team is determined by luck, etc. As a side note, numbers are not the most relevant factor of luck when it comes to the boards. The layout is much more important. You can have boards with a normal amount of tiles of your strong colour, but they are so scattered that you can’t do a single attack with them. Or they are lined up exactly against the colour that they’re useless against. Back to the main point about luck: what makes it even worse, is that the situation during the first 6-10 turns has a huge effect on your chances for winning. Fail to take out the tank before it fires, and in many cases the odds for winning the game will take a nose dive. On the other hand, start with an avalanche of your strong colour and you are almost dead certain to win. And while we don’t usually mind an easy win, losing with your hands tied behind your back is for many a very frustrating experience. The luck factor is simply too big a factor at times.

If SG wants to make raids a more generally accepted factor of the game, then I think this should be addressed somehow. Tips about choosing the right heroes are worthless to players who simply don’t have much to choose from, as they are for the vast majority of players who never visit these forums. And a game that can only be enjoyed after digging through a pile of manuals and strategy guides is a game that will never be the public’s favourite.

So IMO the only real solution can be in the game itself, something must change. Maybe the opening boards should be rigged, but in a way that filters out the extremes. I’ve been wondering what would happen when for example the opening board would always contain exactly seven tiles of each colour. Or maybe 6-8 for each colour. Quite frankly I doubt that it will be sufficient, but it might be a start. What do you guys think?

The cup-system where the number of cups you can win is determined by the numbers of cups of you and your opponent, is a tougher nut to crack by the way. I understand the reason very well, but nobody can say it’s actually fair that you can only win back 10 cups from a stronger team where you lost 50. Simply because it isn’t, effective and perhaps necessary as it may be. Still thinking about that one…

There are many, many ways to play this game without raiding at all. Just as many players opt out of AW.

I don’t think we can say that the raids are not working for many many players just because a vocal minority are complaining about them on the boards. That is akin to saying the AW matchmaking is no good because of a vocal minority. You even say that the vast majority of players never use the forums. Is hundreds out of millions many or a select few? We don’t know.

If you can only get 10 cups back from a stronger opponent that indicates that either you are well above your level or the other player is well below (or both). That tends to be an outlier in my experience and a situation where I just ignore revenge and move on, even if I think I can take him with a single stacked team.

Subjectively I must say I tend to get much more favourable boards when farming or playing the storyline than I ever do in raids or AW. I often trigger multiple combos up to 7-8 or more, usually as I kill off the last monster of that wave. I can recall that once or twice when raiding and never in AW. Then again I farm and play the storyline much more often.

Often the deciding factor is not how good/bad the board starts but how good/bad it becomes as you fight. That is the skill I need to work on.

2 Likes

One of the things you can do to practice shaping the board is when you’re farming, set yourself a goal. Try to make as many diamonds as possible without triggering any. Same with dragons. Or try to clear all tiles of one color off the board. Or try to set up big cascades and save them for the boss level.
You can also use farming to get used to new heroes or try out new combinations

6 Likes

What I have recently started to do is farm with single colour or two-colour 3* teams to work on board manipulation skills. Maybe I need to try that at a higher level stage to make it more challenging.

2 Likes

Sure, but so what? Is that a reason to leave a bad part of the game unchanged? Just because you don’t have to play it? People don’t have to play this entire game at all.

Besides, as Brobb has already pointed out, cups are a means to compare yourself with other players. It’s a game. Games are about winning. What else is there to win besides cups?

Should we leave a bad part of the game unchanged because a vocal minority doesn’t understand the need for it?

I’m sorry, I have no idea what your trying to say with your last sentence. If a couple of hundreds of players out of millions use these forums, then how could it not be that a vast majority does not? Am I reading you wrong?

This is all true, but I read nothing in your response that makes it actually fair.

I recognize this and I think I know the reason for it. In the storyline you have much less worries about filling your opponents mana. Many times the only opponents that gather mana at all are the bosses and before you meet them, you’ve had plenty of time to create a more favourable board. In the more rare cases that all the opponents gather mana, the consequences of them firing are much less devestating. Also, the fact that there are waves of enemies makes it easier. It gives you the opportunity to clear the rubble when there’s one last enemy standing in between waves.

Often, yes. But these are not the fights that I’m talking about.

Yes, this is one of the things that I try to do. But sometimes the possibilities are so limited that nothing you can do will help. And the time (number of turns) you have is quite limited. Once those 5*s start shooting before you have build up enough mana yourself, it’s usually over.

The funny thing is that months have gone by for me without experiencing this problem too often, and suddenly it’s back. Same team and all…

Reasonable question. Also a reasonable question:

Should we change a good part of the game because a vocal minority doesn’t understand it?

4 Likes

So nice that you are back. I have missed your contributions to the forum.

2 Likes