Raid Tournaments: a tale about merits and RNG

I hope for players to add here their two cents and/or to vote

Good morning / evening / afternoon, fellow players.
In this topic I’ll suggest my scoring ideas about a really hot topic: Raid Tournaments.

Purpose:

Scoring is a core aspect for E&P’s and my idea would be to decrease the scoring RNG factor while giving greater importance to player’s decisions.

The main aspects about Raid Tournament’s RNG are the defenses you’ll have to face and the points you could be able to earn.

Raid Tournaments notes:

Version 20 Release Notes
  • New Raid Tournaments added.
  • Raid Tournaments are special Raids that you can join each week.
  • Raid Tournaments have 3 phases:
    • Preparation Phase that lasts for 24 hours. During the preparation phase you join the up coming Tournament and prepare your defense team. You can only use defense teams that match the event rules.
    • Battle Phase that lasts for four days. The Battle Phase is divided to four Battle Days where you have five attacks available for each Battle Day. You can only use attack teams that match the event rules.
    • Reward Phase that lasts two days. Your final score will determine your reward tier. You get rewards only from the highest reward tier that you belong to.
  • Raid Tournaments have three Special Rules:
    • Rush Attack: All Special Skills are Very Fast.
    • Bloody Battle: Healing has no effect.
    • Buff Booster: Each active buff gives +20% attack.
  • Raid Tournaments can have limitations to Hero and Troop rarity and Elements.
  • Raid Tournaments are scored based on four factors:
    • Enemies killed: The amount of enemies killed during your attack.
    • Winning: Victorious attack will award extra points.
    • Difficulty Bonus: Winning the attack will award points based on comparing the performance of the opponent’s defense team with the performance of your attacks.
    • Defense Team Grade: Your defense team will receive points in the end of each Battle Day based on their performance.
Version 20.1 Release Notes
  • Smaller Fixes and Changes:
    • The active Special Rule in Raid Tournaments is shown in battle.
    • Fixed a bug where tournament leaderboard tab was not showing between tournaments.
Raid Tournaments Maintenance Break (2 Apr - 9 Apr)

New Improvements and Changes:

• The difficulty of enemies that the players face at the beginning of the Tournament is now determined by the strength of their Tournament Defense Team.
  • Improvements to matchmaking to more evenly distribute attacks among all players.
  • The amount of Difficulty Bonus is increased and has more emphasis on the performance of the opponents Tournament Defense Team.
  • Fixed a bug where players could get loot that was not correct for their final loot tier.
  • The amount of loot given from Raid Tournaments has been reduced for the meantime.

My suggestion:

• First and foremost every player will face the same defenses.
    • Said defenses would be composed by NPC’s heroes for every first kind of tournament, to be replaced by the most successful player’s defenses.

• The Defense Team Grade should have to be removed as it would lose any reason to exist… and even as it is now it’s adding many extra points in a RNG factor to an otherwise good game mode
  • Difficulty Bonus would also cease to exists.

• (feature needed) Extra points would be awarded upon successful raid attacks performed with weaker heroes, by selecting from the team’s panel a team power’s attacking restriction.
    • Selecting the team power’s attacking restriction would cause your actual attacking team to be deselected.
    • For every X points of restriction the player would gain extra Y% points on a successful attack, to make possible to improving scores by taking risks or to perform comeback after a loss.
      • For example a restriction could start increasing points while attacking a defense with a 100 team power’s difference to gain a 15% bonus score.

Here the actual scoring system, the first two points wouldn't be changed by my idea:
  • Enemies killed: The amount of enemies killed during your attack.
  • Winning: Victorious attack will award extra points.
  • Difficulty Bonus: Winning the attack will award points based on comparing the performance of the opponent’s defense team with the performance of your attacks.
  • Defense Team Grade: Your defense team will receive points in the end of each Battle Day based on their performance.
  • The difficulty of enemies that the players face at the beginning of the Tournament is now determined by the strength of their Tournament Defense Team.
  • Improvements to matchmaking to more evenly distribute attacks among all players.

I agree that current defense grade system put too much weight on RNG, especially as we don’t get attacked in equal frequency. I read somewhere that there is a defense that has been attacked nine times while I only been attacked once.

I and my brother have almost the same exact defense (the only difference is that I have troops at level 4 while he only have level 1). We both only got attacked once, he won, I lost. At the current state, with the same defense, he will get 900 points while I get 200. So even though I got more points from my attacks, he will ended up with more points at the end of the day if no more attack coming.

2 Likes

How is this different from Challenge events?

Apart from not being able to bring items (etc. etc.) unlike on challenge events you will have the chance to put your defense on the twenty defense for the next same rule raid tournament.

But like challenge events you would compete fairly, by not having different targets.

I hate how most tournaments play out. I get that algorithms are probably used, but loosing all the time to way weaker teams is annoying. I’m not a sore looser nor a novice player. Soon I will stop participating in tournaments all together. Waste of time and poor loot.

1 Like

Even at 2* tournament I got 20 emblems. And AM. Not poor at all, for me at least. But hey, I am really sorry when I read threads like this. One player less for an easy win in tournaments.

:scream_cat:
:pleading_face:
:cowboy_hat_face:

Hated them from day 1 and don’t participate.

To add to this. I posted in another topic how RNG is crap with E&P. I’ve been running tests in the lame tournaments with stacking different colors. Mainly a 3-1-1 or a 3-2 stack. About 90% of the time, if I can still do basic division, the stack color starts with very few tiles and they are spread out. As new tiles generate the pattern stays the same. And oddly enough the colored tiles that are no good to me are plentiful. Moderators and others will defend, but I do this every tournament. Not to win, but to do the research.

2 Likes

Why do we have so many 4* and 5* RAID Tournaments? Does SG not realize what excitement is in the 2* and 3* Raid tournaments? People can play fairer. Not to mention that most players today don’t even have a 4* or 5 * hero to play for in these 4* and 5* Raid tournaments. It is only for the Elite of the game. The last 2* tournament where the most could play without spending money was 2 months ago. This seems to be a game where the strong get stronger and the weak can only be strong if they spend fortunes on the game. We are losing competitiveness here.

So Sad

Zynga not SG. SG was great when they controlled the game.

I dont have 2* teams i saved my 3* teams for raid tournament and i have many 4* and 5* as Well. I have been playing for 15- 16 months now. They are not always fair in several things its our choice to play or not

1 Like

I agree that 3* tournaments are exciting and a good way for beginners and intermediate players to compete. However, 2* tourneys are pretty boring due to the low variation of heroes and special skills.

In 3* as well as in 4* tournaments non-spenders can be very successful as the majority of the heroes are trainable or at least have good chances on getting summoned (progressing through Atlantis map gives quite a lot of free Atlantis summons). To be competitive as F2P, it takes maybe 2-3 months for 3* tourneys and 6-8 months of active playing for 4* months. Woth competitive I mean having realistic chances on achieving top 1 % ranking at the end.

As for 5* tournaments I agree. Even very advanced F2P normally have substantially weaker teams than those who spend a lot of money. To win against 4400+ TP teams with Kunchen, Guinevere, Gravemaker, Finley, Mother North, Seshat etc. equipped with Lv 30 troops is pretty hard. If one colour is restricted too, tge best skill won’t help if you have to bring either 5* heroes like Elkanen or Thorne or use your emblemed 4*…

One possible solution I could think of for beginners:

• For the first two months of playing all 4* and 5* tournaments get replaced by 2* or 3* tourneys
  • For the next four months only 5* tournaments get replaced by 3* tourneys. No more 2* tourneys as at that point people usually already have quite some 3* maxed. Also, maxed 2* are still somewhat useful in 3* tournaments.
  • After six months of playing the ‘beginners’ bonus’ is gone and you have to give your best in whatever comes up (no 2* or 1* tournaments though)

The duration of this ‘beginner modus’ is of course debatable. But I think 2 respectively 6 months would be quite okay. It’s little fun taking part in 5* tournaments if all you have is a rainbow team of 3* heroes and maybe one or two lucky 4* waiting for their ascension mats.

As for the too hard 5* tournaments: They are only one third of all tournaments. I accept that even as very advanced (over 2 years of playing) C2P I’m way behind the strongest players. If I’m out early, I simply wait for the next 3* or 4* tourney where top 1 % is achieveable :slightly_smiling_face:

I only bothered to upgrade my 2* when I just start the game, but after I Got 3* all 2* went for feeding the 3*:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

As it should be. This food.

1 Like

Cookie Settings