Raid Formations Meta Discussion about Heroes and New Synergies

Tanks are still a thing in wars, at least for now. Raids are kinda pointless unless new brackets over 2400+ trophies are introduced.

For the V-shape (reverse) formation, we might see the return of GM and Clarissa in the center spot. I also consider Kadilen (C), Frigg, Vela, Zeline and JF solid options.

Personaly, it’s a great thing not having to rely on tanks as much as we had to. First of all, opens the possibility of different defense formats, which makes the game less boring. It changes everything for the ones attacking as well, since 3-2 might not be the best setup against certain formations. Also makes you less dependent of specific meta-relevant tanks since now you are given more options to work with what you have.

To answer directly your question: tanks are not a thing of the past, but are definately less important.

3 Likes

Yes, but with 2 heroes in the direct line of enemy fire, there’ll be a delay in the rate of their mana charge. The attacker will alternate tile dumping between the two heroes (tanks?) gaining much needed time to charge their very fast support heroes like Malossi or Vanda, getting a better chance to shut down your tanks… tricky situation…

Yes, those are the key words. If global beta ends successfuly and new formations become standard, next logical step is their implementation in wars as well.

But after we get used with all these new interactions, we make sure there aren’t exploitable features or synergies that are unbalanced, I wouldn’t mind having formations in wars. Once again: it’s fresh air and we might see alliances with the most creative defenses shine instead of the “we can field 30 tellurias” days. I welcome these changes along with the new modifiers.

You could argue that advances in mobile anti-tank weaponry started to make them more obsolete after World War 2 but with the development of the Chobham armour in the 60’s tanks regained a lot of the protection they had before this.

Of course they are always looking to evolve the anti-tank weaponry so modern advancements have led to more adaptive counter-measures and smart armour.

So whilst I can’t go into the sort of detail I’d like I would argue that Tanks remain a viable ground asset for the majority of the modern armed forces Ground elements.

Which from the title of the topic is what I assume you were talking about?

6 Likes

I think tanks are still viable though I also think they may evolve a bit too. You might see new tanks with new special mechanics come out. Abilities that are like family bonuses or class bonuses that “pair” when used together maybe. Which might be cool IF done well.

1 Like

I believe that the tank concept will not disappear while there will be tank"s" concept. This is something I strongly go for as it brings variation and color to the game.

To exemplify, my formation is double and my tanks are Telluria and Krampus supported by Freya in the middle. I have almost never lost, even I have seldomly received attacks recently.

I think the overall tank role has been changing for a while from the overly passive previous best tanks to ones which needed to cause some detriment to the attacker (eg Ares to Kunchen to original Telluria). These new formations usher in a new progression again to more support type heroes that help kill the attacker instead of delaying and keeping your own from dying.

1 Like

I know some people like the A formation and feel like it is the hardest to take down but I don’t find that to be the case. The M and W seem to be more of a challenge to me for some reason. The A and Standard formations I can usually take down easier it feels like.

1 Like

The only adjustment I make for either of those is a focus away from tiles (3-2, mono, whatever). None of that matters for me.

Either of those formation has only one position that is an advantage. While your offense can have all 5 slots take advantage, if you wanted.

Currently my favorite 3 are Drake, Evelyn and Hel. Drake has been a clincher… I’ve been toying around with the other 2 spots. I tried Miki for a bit and it’s fun too. Just a bit slow for reliability. Wish I had ninjas. But I don’t.

You don’t need an expensive roster either… There’s plenty of 4* that also punish either formation:
Falcon, Tiburtus, Mist, PROTEUS…!

There are a few Hit-3 dispellers to deploy. Any of them are great for tending to any taunters or Sif.

I could see an argument for a tile focused game on the double formation.
But the power of multiple hit-3 attackers has just been…almost boring.

The reverse formation has been paying dividends in my WT… I’m afraid that it’s going to saturate eventually…

How have you guys been dealing with reverse? If your a tile focused player (mono) do you stack for a wing?

I’ve been trying to load up the best rainbow team I got and whittle the defense down… haven’t found a solid go-to attack squad for reverse, yet

I play mono so rather than stacking for the centre I now stack for a wing and then work in from there. Yellow seems a popular Wing in a reverse so I usually just go mono-purple, play to take out the yellow and then try to drop all the specials on taking down the the centre.

I’m getting good success with it

4 Likes

yeah that’s been a pretty sound strategy. just seems like the whole board charges up way faster for defense specials than for my heroes. I’m typically running a 3/2 and I stack against 2 heroes in the front of the M or W.

As for the Reverse layout, the 3/2 stacking against the 2 ends seems to work much better for some reason. typically my fights clear out the first 2 pretty easily and then the next 2 and then the top.

I’m sure there is something in how I plan a defense, but the Standard and Reverse feel similar and typically are easier wins for me as opposed to the Double and Rev. Double. :man_shrugging:

This is the case for me also. I take hits from the front heroes first. If the same hero gets targeted,
then I lose one hero, but still…
Next it’s my turn!
And I can launch multiple volleys of devastating Hit-3 skills.

They are charging faster I agree. 3 columns make a difference. And it’s an advantage to either formation but…
You can take advantage of it too!
And from what I see, there’s no contest for the solo nearby ally defender.

1 Like

I want to see Boots in the front
And a Queen protected in the back

Where’s that synergy at? :heart_eyes:

You could put Margaret in the middle

Start with wings then flanks then tank just reverse of standard
Reverse is the easiest for me

I think some players just saying reverse is best irrationally like many wrong comments about hotm, please first at least test and experience then comment. Before when I was new I judge one hero based on comments here and not give materials and now It is the most horrible mistake.
That amateur fast comments may damage some players, you said reverse is better because middle heros got tile less and wings can not be died by tile, so here how you consider it as pure advantage I do not know, receive less tile means charge late and it cost so bad because enemy on attack have choice to how fire and when fire and another hand you all forget on double formation there are 2 or 3 tanks and it is great for players who have more than 1 powerful tank.
They get max tile and charge so fast and it will be disaster when 2 or 3 powerful tank fire together never can reach line 2. I really did not have any problem with reverse and win easily because I think it is somehow the most weakest formation. But my last opinion is like all other parts of game all of them has some benefits and it depends on what is rooster.

2 Likes

Here. I knocked this out just now for you:

Unemblemmed 4* against all blemmed 5’s

Very easy. No problem. When I use my 5* sometimes I fall asleep. The flaw against these formations is not a small thing…

2 Likes

Can’t help you with that but followed some mono advice on a recent quest and failed miserably. Decided to go rainbow (because other attempts all were hostile boards) and the boards were like newbie boards with combos galore. Thanks for telling us SG that you were changing game mechanics (sarcasm).

Just for u on one raid is not the fact to develop to all, I defeat teams with more than 1000 team power less than them on wars many times and it was just for chance and tile.