Raid Tournament Preview – Planning Leveling Priorities & Strategy in Anticipation of Release

And good we have another thread telling sg our concerns vs burying it in another thread. More voices the better. Too many monster threads that are too hard to read as it is.

SG has heard the concerns about the entry fee, and removed it in the current version of beta testing.

@Epigenetic also mentioned that above:

As there are already multiple threads about the potential entry fee (or lack thereof now), let’s make use of this thread for its intended purpose of discussing hero and troop leveling priorities and strategies in anticipation of the Weekly Raid Challenges. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

May I suggest changing the title to reflect what the topic is supposed to be rather than “raid challenge preview” ? By that title, and I’m sure I’m not alone, more people are going to assume it’s a discussion about the raids in general not just a tactics thread.

1 Like

Hmm, a 4* very fast defense for me might be something like this perhaps:

2 Likes

Great idea!

I changed it — if you think something else would convey the topic better, let me know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So it seems some of us may opt to level up heroes we’ve been neglecting. Wondering how long it will take? I made a tool to calculate that. It didn’t get any love at the time, though I presciently said the Weekly Raid Challenges may be a good use for it.

2 Likes

I’m thinking:

3*

• Ulmer
  • Gill-Ra
  • Brienne (average, but the attack buff at very fast would be worthwhile)
  • Oberon
  • Jahangir

4*

• Hu Tao
  • Little John
  • Colen
  • Skittles
2 Likes

Never thought I’d see skittles as being a needed hero to level lmao

3 Likes

I know! I might finally have to take Skittles from 3-60 to max…

I have 17 shields but only 8 gloves, so that definitely wouldn’t have been on my priority list otherwise.

Thankfully I already have Hu Tao and Little John maxed, and Colen at 3-60.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this information. It is greatly appreciated

2 Likes

Sounds like there will be a week I’ll be glad I didn’t eat Carver, even if I pretty much never needed him by the time I finished him…

Interesting trend in SG’s new content, both this and the class system…making otherwise very unfavored heroes suddenly useful or even necessary…making bigger rosters with more diversity more valuable.

Suspect that it will continue. Gives those of us who couldn’t pull Kageburado something interesting to work on.

And with this plus the buf in beta, if it makes it to release, maybe I’ll take Justice to 3/70 instead of that spare Delilah…

Edit: I intended to write unfavored, not unflavored. :rofl: but maybe it accidentally worked anyway; IDK.

6 Likes

I’m really excited about this, it makes so much better use of the wide variety of heroes SG has designed, and it makes the game so much more accessible.

I’m sure there will still be Weekly Raid Challenges where the competition and winners are those with piles of HOTM and the best 5* — but having even some in the rotation that favor (or at least don’t disadvantage) F2P/C2P/newer players/hero hoarders will bring some great variety to the gameplay.

And I think it’s great for game longevity. I know I’m a lot more excited to keep plugging away on leveling heroes when I have something to use them for, and I’m not just building bench depth for lack of anything better to work on.

6 Likes

Will heroes that are already fast be even faster? Heroes like Scarlett

In all fairness, I’d say that the Very Fast game rule does not necessarily benefit the slow heroes more than others. It equalizes the playing field for heroes by bringing them all to the same speed. It is simply more fun that everyone got pushed up to Very Fast rather than normalizing everyone on Average.

Those slow heroes @Epigenetic mentioned are not the best ones suited for the Very Fast event. Specifically, the best 4* tank under those rules is Kiril. I had suspected that Li Xiu would be the best tank but if purple heroes are allowed then Li still gets edged out by Kiril. Healing at Very Fast rates is overpowered, but mana steal is only borderline overpowered. Healing + def buff + attack buff at very fast rates breaks the meta.

So the bottom line is that the speed of the hero is not what you should be looking at if you want to build a bench for these events. Instead look at the power of their SS and imagine how that could be abused at very fast rates. The slow heavy hitters arguably have the most to gain from the very fast game mechanic.

2 Likes

Interesting — Kiril makes a lot of sense to me.

I figured that mana stealing/reduction/slowing wouldn’t be as useful, since everyone is so fast.

But I would have thought Hu Tao would be solid. Blinding at Very Fast seems like a good way to dull an attacking team having specials to fire so frequently.

Pairing Hu Tao and Kiril could make a lot of sense, hmm…

And just to round things out the things we’ve learned in beta:

1. Double buff duration is worthless. Undispellable buffs can be frustrating. Debuffs and status ailments are both normal in duration and can be dispelled. Flipping a defensive buff to a defensive debuff w/ Gormek, Grimm or Tiburtus still works. One assumes attack buffs are flippable to debuffs as well, but I never paid attention to that. And if you pack Wu Kong, you deserve what you get.

2. @Epigenetic’s description of No Healing is not entirely correct. Healers are allowed entry into the event, you can still bring Kiril, Boldtusk, etc. It’s just that their healing ability will be reduced to 0. Their buffs still work though. Damage over Time (DoT) heroes become much more favored, in defense teams anyway. If healing cannot be used to offset DoT then the efficiency of DoT over direct damage is magnified.

3. There is one more boring event category called No Rules. There’s no special rules and all the normal rules of raids apply. Everyone was kinda meh over this.

3 Likes

I’m pissed they are dropping 1* and 2* challenges. I am ready for them :persevere::persevere:

4 Likes

@Madmarv great points. There are a couple things. First, while Kiril might be the best tank I am not 100% sure he is. We shall see with the larger game. A lot of the challenges got screwed up by bugs so we never could see what was happening.

Also, I never said that the slow heroes were the only ones you needed, but they were the ones I didn’t have leveled. Most of us have Kiril and some have multiple Kirils. Hu Tao, Skittles, etc. are very useful in the challenge. I had Colen leveled and he was quite good too. My Li Xiu tank got abused. I think the population of beta testers has some particularly nasty raiders and that may make a difference.

1 Like

Maybe if the 1 and 2* challenges are all ready to roll out, suggest to SG that it be capped to players under say lvl 20-25?? That way they could compete for some nice loot and it wouldn’t be over ran by higher levels.

Have a few questions on the structure if it is every week or one week a month? Also if it keeps a trophy count and standings based on that? Might already be that info out there now, I’ll search around.

Thank you for the great info!

Hi BYD we did suggest exactly that. There is still a problem though because beginners will put their resources into heroes that should be temporary instead of into 3* and above that are useful in other aspects of the game

3 Likes