Q&A with Game Designers - Spring 2021 Edition (Discussion Part II)

I find those answers both “reasonable” and unacceptable, oddily. It’s obvious they are not working on a game for charity, they have to have a revenue from it, so all that “game economy” talking is no surprise. But putting the revenue above everything else is, at least, incredibly shortsighted, if not counterproductive at all. And i’m stating that not as a customer, but as someone who runs an activity and is in their same position. Of course i don’t run my activity for charity nor to please or let someone else have fun, i do it to earn a living, so my purpose is to gain money. But i cannot (and i have learnt that the hard way) put the revenue on top list above everything else in every aspect of my job. As simple as it is, because my revenue comes from my customers, depends on them and if my customers are unhappy/unsatisfied with my services, they will go somewhere else. Earning money by selling products and listening to customers’ need/requests just go hand in hand and are equally fundamental: because a customers whose requests are satisfied is a guarantedd recurring customer, a customer whose requests are constantly neglected is a lost one, because there is no doubt someone else, somewhere else, selling the same products, maybe even at a higher price, but caring for their clients and making sure they have the best experience possible.
Just as an example (citing what of my activity is more similar to the “new content is more important than qol blablablah”): i could have the widest range of products available, one unparalleled in my area, and i could even add to my catalogue new shinier products every single week, but if my delivery standards are untrustworthy (delayed, late, packages ruined etc etc), my customers will flee and buy from someone with far less products, who sells at higher costs, but whose delivery standards are guaranteed and flawless. The widest range of products is what brings me money. The delivery standard is the qol that doesn’t earn me anything (on the contrary, is an economic burden on my shoulders). But without the latter, there is no former either. Not undestanding this and going straight for my road and my beliefs means i’ll be very rapidly going alone on that road.
(On a not so side note, if a qol aspect of my business is flawed, i cannot wait years to fix it, or by the time the fix comes, my clients won’t trust me anymore…)

That said, there are two interesting aspect, to me, emerging from Q&A: since they rely so much on data collected from the whole playerbase, if a great part of the playerbase will avoid playing the aether quests and not limit break any hero, would they consider this feature a mistake and act consequently (aka get rid of LB)?
Seconldy, the very mellow power creep. Very mellow would be adding a family bonus first, a passive ability then, raising base stats thirdly, creating more powerful skills after. Not adding all those alltogether. That’s not very mellow, that’s abrupt.

15 Likes

True… I play S4 and the 2 new challenge events (what was the name of those events?) without knowing more than half of the name of the heroes.

2 Likes

Too much analysis leads to paralysis.

Game is not becoz of players alone… but becoz of an enterprise that is interested in its continuation also.

The interview showed good amount of promise about game longevity & maintaining interest of older players who have more invested in the game & vice versa
But
Also, SG working on how to bring some balance for newer players while a certain amount of power creep is unavoidable.

I also got to know that while SG reads the forum views, it has a fair approach to discern practical aspects from emotional wish lists…

I feel fair times ahead… while some players will want the moon delivered every day… :smile:

1 Like

I think your statement is a bit premature for me to concur.

QnA was partly if not predominately caused by ever increasingly distaste of the community for the state of the game and lack of response from SG. And while they really tried to answer some of the harder questions, mostly the answers ‘‘intent’’ was felt from me to leave us’‘hanging’’ for ‘‘possible’’ future, which doesnt count much, based on how long we are already waiting for changes. Too little concrete stuff.

While I am happy with the response as one of the first steps to a better game/partnership, i am fairly unhappy with how they see things and future plans… Basically, you have to put on a scale, that in 90% of future updates, most stuff is planned around new portals and yearly seasons… Its impossible for me to support and be happy with just that, based on their earnings…

And while I diverted a bit from your point, that they are really trying to do their best, from what I highlighed above, I think they are mostly trying their best from what seems to directly affect their revenue (surface level and not deepr), a concept of ‘‘low hanging fruit’’.

3 Likes

This one question/answer rankled me.

Are there any plans to “refresh” the game and update its different aspects?

TIM: We’d love to do a ton of this (as mentioned already several times before) but new events and new content are the things that matter most for a lot of players and that pretty much always dictates our priorities. Yeah, really hoping we’d get to do a bit of this and Quality of Life every now and then, but since it’s so clear that new stuff is the thing that works for so many of the players, we simply cannot ever do less of new stuff (which can very easily be the case if we’d start focusing on updating older aspects)!

Say what? I for one have often complained about the speed at which new stuff is added to the game, and the overwhelming sense of TOO MUCH that I feel when playing. I sincerely wish that they would slow down on the new stuff and give more consideration to QoL and updates. Maybe the whales want this unending stream of new content to deal with but I doubt that the majority of players enjoy the sense of constantly falling behind that I have. Geez i haven’t even finished season 3 yet. I still haven’t even bothered to beat Ursena on S2 hard yet.

17 Likes

Too much data analysis, lack of field observation.

6 Likes

Yeah, I hear you, and there’s plenty in what they say that conveys negative news for players.

But I am pretty sure these are not the guys who pull the strings on where the game goes. They just have to operate in certain boundaries and balance between what players want, what budget-makers want and what is possible to do.

Like when they outline certain things it makes it easier to understand their point of view on things. I. e. with limit breakers they clearly see them as necessary means to prolong the game’s life and look at it as long term (2-3 years) feature. My feelings toward it never changed since I first played with them in beta. But in all fairness, in beta I only experienced the post-implementation state. Time will tell how it plays out. At least, I kind of understand where they are coming from - not that I agree with it, but appreciate the background.

4 Likes

I feel the same. I understand the need to push content, but this is not an excuse to ignore QoLs and updates to the game.

Devs, you have time to introduce two new events, new tower, new season, new heroes every month, but you can’t update quests that are already in game?

Give me a break. At this rate i will finish S2 and S3 hard in two years. Calendar is constantly packed and they say “we want to release more new stuff”. Day is only 24h long, when will players find time for all of that?

16 Likes

I like your post. You Reach the point and I fully share your feelings. Most of answers are too general and bring nothing new to topic asked.

4 Likes

Although I’ve known this to be true, it’s still a blow to hear straight from them (paraphrasing here) “we expect you to get excited and buy new heroes, so no we won’t be rebalancing older heroes, no matter how stacked your deck is with benched heroes”.

6 Likes

If anything, this Q&A made me go C2P. If only metrics count actually (they did not say this, but this can be understood from Game Economy > Player Feedback), at least this way my opinion as a player will count more to them :slight_smile:

I think mostly everyone understands this is a business, but it seems that instead of creating a business model where they try to satisfy their customer and make them loyal to spend over a long period of time, the business model is to encourage pulls shopping sprees and addicitive behaviour on short term.

I do appreciate though that at least, even in the usual corporate vague polished language, they did not avoid the difficult questions and let people know where they actually stand.

9 Likes

Did I miss any answer related to non-S1 costume (the most hated thing)? I don’t remember seeing them.

2 Likes

Exactly this costumes make me quite the game.

1 Like

I don’t remeber a specific one, but they already announced costumes for Sand Empire heroes. And if “economics” drive the game and players’s feedback is just for reference and their metrics show that players want new things (they talked about events, but indirectly they also talked about the importance of having new, more attractive heroes), the direction is pretty clear.

Quando fui atualizar a nova versão do jogo empires puzzles mandava desinstalar foi o que fiz mas agora não consigo rever a minha conta como fazer?

So, my frustration was that they aren’t doing music and storylines because they don’t have someone on their staff to do it. If only there was enough money to hire someone! The circus music was delightful, and a big hit in my alliance. We need more of that.

3 Likes

“TIM: High level - always aim for variety instead of pure ‘race for ultimate power’ . So slower heroes must also be in the game, though not everyone will be ‘optimal ’. Of course, we try to buff these heroes later - but very important to not do the buff via speed up, even if players see it as the only option > this way we’d end up with only fast heroes in the game, which is boring!”

Hmm…I’m not fully agree that sorry, number of fast and very fast mana heroes are a lot on this game, most of the S4 heroes are fast, ninja heroes are all charge… Most of the players like fast hero and SGG know that. If faster mana speed doesn’t a matter then why make mana troop and adding mana bouns on costume ? Anyway I think they should release lot of slow or even very slow 5* heroes in near future to prove their point.

One more thing about high level players, check the rankings most of the top players are using fast, very fast or even ninja heroes, and also pair up with very high level mana troops, why ?

2 Likes

While there was some honesty in the answers, I couldn’t help but get the feeling of “We are the developers, we’ll do what we want, regardless of whether it is liked, wanted, needed, or not.”. A short QOL release/update wouldn’t damage anything, and would probably make many of the casual/C2P players (and perhaps a few whales) happy… by QOL, I mean items that specifically make the game easier to navigate/control - such as:
**An ignore Teams option on all Hero Roster Sorts
**Adding a +10 Transmute button in the alchemy lab (to run the same alchemy 10 times)
**Ability to see the team that attacked you in War/Raid (not their defense team, but the offense the opponent brought)
**On Challenge Events, an “Enemy” screen, like on season stages, that show the color(s) of the enemies for that stage.
**Anything else that makes the daily grind and chores of the game a little easier, without having an overall effect on Gameplay/Battles

6 Likes

Money 101: a public corporation’s primary responsibility is their fiscal responsibility to their shareholders. I don’t necessarily agree this is how it should be, but this is how they are managed.

Hiwever, it’s a matter of contention whether it’s “better” to have a steady stream of income or a big chunk of income now. This is the time value of money. This is why your mortgage gets sold.

“Growth” company stocks are companies that have a business model with a predicted high short-term gain. I tend not to invest in these companies individually because when they crash they often crash hard and I don’t feel like monitoring my portfolio that closely. But lots of investors flock to such companies. It’s likely I have Zynga in my 401-k somewhere.

When SG talks about what the community wants, they are talking about how the player community votes with their wallets. They will always use their metrics and market models as a basis for development decisions regardless of any uproar in the forum community.

All that being said, I am 2 months nospend. They can do whatever they want with their company, but my fun per dollar ratio no longer supports helping them fund it. When nospend isn’t fun any more, I’ll quit altogether.

5 Likes

It wouldn’t really cost too much dev time to come up with a system that allows you to recycle your heroes (say, 3* and higher) into a small/medium/high (for 3*/4*/5* respectively) amount of new currency that allows you to create a new 5* hero - of choice, or at least a random roll a-la HA10.

The system can be balanced to not be too generous by setting up both how much you get and how much you need to spend per hero.

Ideas are not an issue, willingness is.

6 Likes