Proteus talents

Have anyone compared Proteus total DoT to the damage of other heroes who hit three? If the damage is on the same level, it make sense to go the attack route.

On a side note, DoT bypass defense but can be cleansed and need time (fortunately, the enemy can’t use their skill to cleanse/heal or attack under the effect of Proteus’s skill).

Proteus isn’t good because of his attack or DOT. He is great because of his mana block. Defense and health all the way for me.

3 Likes

Seems it is split between those who choose attack/defense and defense/health… @Kerridoc what do you think? Thanks.

I went offensive like @zephyr1… I think it’s better for several reasons:

• On titans, the tile damage gain will be more beneficial than defense and health.
  • In raids, the harder tiles hit the better.
  • I’m usually stacking him with other purples for raids and titans and I’m doing that for the tile damage.
  • I can buff his defense from another hero or banners.
  • Even if the hero dies, you still get the attack benefit for tile damage.

I don’t think 30 more defense or health is really going to make a significant enough difference. If he’s gonna die, he’s gonna die.

1 Like

I’ve had heroes with <30 decide a raid/battle. My alt Proteus is going def/HP. I bring Proteus to cast his mana stop, not for his attack.

11 Likes

@zephyr1 and I have had some meaningful discussions about path for Proteus. As someone who runs him almost 100% of the time in raids, here are my thoughts:

Defense Proteus

• If you’re going to pair him with other Atlantis family heroes, defense becomes really impressive

An emblemed Defense Proteus on offense can actually take a hit from Lianna (with a decent troop and a family member). And as an ensemble player in 4*/5* purple stack, losing a bit off the top of his DOT in exchange for survivability is a reasonable choice.

So there’s a viable case for upping his defense. Moreover, if you run him on defense with Triton or Ariel, flanking a yellow tank, he’s just nasty.

Attack Proteus

• Don’t underestimate Proteus’ tile damage and DOT.

I have DOTed out lots of emblemed 5* heroes with Proteus. And his tile damage is 5* good. 4+20 Attack Proteus has an attack stat that goes to 840 pre-troops. That’s an astonishingly hard tile hit, and troops just make is better.

With a decent mana troop, a full emblemed Attack Proteus’ DOT does over 460 damage. That’s more than 1/3 of the health of the average 5*. And they’re locked for 3 turns, just eating it.

What to choose?

I’d describe Attack Proteus as a high risk/high reward strategy, but highly suitable for a Proteus used in raid stacks. When he fires, it transforms the board. If you’re raiding up, this is almost certainly the way to go.

Defense Proteus is lower risk, lower reward for raid stacks, and a beast on a defense team with a family member. The closer you are to parity with your foes, the more sense Defense Proteus makes.

Personally, I’ve gone Defense Proteus. But I don’t dislike either option.

22 Likes

That’s very informative, thanks very much!

1 Like

Proteus DoT while not reduced by attack debuff and enemies’s defense buff, it also not boosted by attack buff and enemies’s defense debuff. Thus it somewhat negate his usefullness in attack combo such as when paired with Tiburtus and Boldtusk…

As of the moment, I’m leaning toward def/hp path. Anyone know the total DoT difference between def/hp Proteus and attack Proteus?

I would like to see the card if anyone has fully/highly talented Proteus… Thanks.

2 Likes

Proteus has a major conflict with another top notch dark hero, Sartana wants to use the same emblems and she is an elite 5* sniper.

So far, I’ve gone the conservative HP/Def route as well because I want him alive to cast his special. The mana lock is my main reason for using him as that changes the complexion of the battle more than a slightly higher DoT (total damage is higher if he fires twice with lower DoT than once with higher DoT). I like his attack stat and his tile damage is excellent for a 4*, maxing it to 800+ is amazing but he is competing with Sartana for emblems, not to mention big sister Hel so there is a good chance that he is sharing his Wizard emblems and won’t be at 800+ for quite a while.

Our Titans are coming close to one shotting him (8*/9*) so it feels as though a big of extra durability is needed.

Regardless of the route you take, Proteus remains (IMO) the best 4* in the game.

3 Likes

I think Defence/Health has more value on most heroes to be honest. Attack is sexier and more ‘badass’ but I keep killing these +12 4*s and +5 five stars with the same number of tiles that I used to… while my boring Defence oriented dudes are living longer. I made an exception for Liana, because One shotting is fun.

2 Likes

Like you, I bring Proteus to every fight, whether it is titan, map, raid, or event. He has helped me win many battles.

But that is also my concern. I do not know what to do in an event that reflects purple (I believe Halloween?). Without Proteus, I am doomed… unless of course, I pull Hel. But knowing how RNG works in this game, I don’t think that’s ever gonna happen.

1 Like

Hel is dark, too.

Probably Gretel, Little John and Hansel there…

3 Likes

…Hel won’t help in purple reflect events. Time to build up someone else for those events (Hansel if you can)

2 Likes

Oh right! I forgot Hel is dark as well…

Well, I do have a Gretel sitting at 3/60. Guess I need to bring her to full ascension. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks! I forgot Hel is dark. For some reason I thought she was holy…

1 Like

Nothing holy about Hel :yum:

6 Likes

lol good one.

I dream of having both Proteus and Hel. Team No Mana!

1 Like

Well actually…

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=783820571976288&id=263070220717995&tn=%2AW-R

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, that’s where I got that wrong impression from!

1 Like

Well shut my mouth.

But you made me go on Facebook :persevere:

2 Likes