Proteus: jinx and scar of the depth

I gave the emblems to zeline. But i’m having second thoughts. Don’t get me wrong, Zeline is awesome. But it takes 165 emblems to finish the first 3 nodes of the talent grid. I keep thinking that proteus could get a lot better with those 165 emblems than his fully leveled 4 80. Wizard class has really good heroes. Hard choice to make. @Sternman

1 Like

His class is perfect for stats for me. You can go defense/health nodes almost all the way through. My alt has his class at level 8, and the effect is huge. Another class could be better, sure, but his dot already passes buffs with a 100% jinx.

My alt also has Zeline, but I’ll be hesitant to pull the emblems off Proteus when she gets 2 more tonics because they make him that much better and he doesn’t take nearly as many to max out.

You can but keep in mind that DoT scales with the attack stat.

2 Likes

That’s the route I’m going.

3 Likes

The DoT is nice, the mana control is why we all :heartbeat: Proteus. I think that I will focus on health and defense to be sure that he lives to cast if giving him talent emblems.

Final attack over 800 if you go for maxing attack though… so many tempting options

3 Likes

I’m already finding that just the little boost to defense and health along with the attack boosts has made a difference.

I’m going to keep going the attack route, with some bonuses to defense/health baked in along the way on those paths, and keep using a 4* crit troop with him that’s currently at level 12 with a 16% attack, 19% defense, and 6% health boost.

And while I use him for the mana freeze, the DoT does also make a huge difference in winning Raids, especially as the amount slowly creeps up.

5 Likes

Guys: Proteus or Isarnia?

How many emblems do you have now? What does the rest of your roster look like? Who do you use most often?

Absent other data: Proteus. He’ll max a lot faster, he’s an incredibly powerful effect, and you can always get the emblems back when you have enough to meaningfully emblem up Isarnia.

2 Likes

I would have gone Issy, but I already had Athena for ranger. Seemed redundant to have a second blue def down with emblems…but I think Issy hits all with Jinx is a no-brainer otherwise.

147 emblems now.

My dilemma is pretty much this:

My only full 5* blue is Aegir (yeah, I know) and I didn’t gave Isarnia the scopes yet, I’m waiting for V20 to see if Thorne becomes a more viable option (the other 5* blue I have, but I hardly think so) OR if I can pull a Frida this month I’d rather give her the scopes, so in both cases, Proteus wins the emblems.

However, if Aegir stays the disappointment he is and no Frida for me, I may settle with Isarnia and fully level her to be my blue 5* on defense. Atm I only use her on Titan hits (Red and Dark Titans, for others I use ramming trio).

On the dark side, I have no good 5* also, just a 3/70 Quintus and a 3/70 Domitia. I use mostly Proteus for PvE content, like Season 2 Hard Mode and some non mono raids, so I play him more than Isarnia atm.

My main defense team is Mother North - Wu Kong (Leveling Musashi atm) - Aegir - Bold Tusk (I have no 5* red whatsoever) - Proteus.

Indeed, I wouldn’t consider leveling her with Athena on the roster unless I could spare the scopes!

Who do you have that does a strong defense down? Issy is one of the best imo, highly underrated. She got me into the top 10 many times, before I got Athena.

1 Like

Only her actually, I have the ramming pulverizer trio (Grimm, Gormek and Tiburtus) and Buddy, and since I also got Evelyn and Mother North I usually mono green the ■■■■ out everybody.

Maybe Issy is more core to me than I realized, she can be very handy not only in defense but in assembling more balanced raid teams… thanks for the tip!

There are a couple of separate things intertwined here.

With respect to Thorne, the proposed change is pretty meh. On defense, he will hit the average 5* target for around 880 damage. But he will do so at average mana, and as a 6 tile kill for a 3-stack.

Honestly, he ends up looking a bit like a 4* version of Magni. He hits slower, doesn’t hit as hard, and doesn’t give a buff. But he’s more survivable. I can see a case for giving him scopes as a F2P, but not when you have Isarnia in hand.

Of your possible near-term blue options, Frida would be #1 for me, with Isarnia #2. In fact, I have Isarnia and am drawing for Frida myself.

On the question of who to emblem up:

Proteus, hands-down.

You’re at least a month, maybe two, away from maxing Isarnia if you decide to pull the trigger. That’s a lot of play time to let the emblems sit idle with a great option in hand.

You also have a little less than 10% of the emblems needed to class up Isarnia, so it’s not like she’d see a huge benefit even if she were ready for the emblems. Proteus will get a much bigger lift from those 147 emblems, and will continue to see a bigger lift, faster, from new emblems. This will be the case for a long time to come.

And you’re using Proteus on your main defense. Proteus is also incredibly useful for seasonals, events and rare quests. I personally use Proteus all the time when raiding. My standard 2 in a 3/2 is Rigard 4+6 and Proteus.

If and when you have enough emblems to give Isarnia a real boost, you can use a reset emblem on Proteus.

3 Likes

Thank you for your thorough response, I have been looking at those emblems dusting up, it’s… painful!

And you’re right, I may give Proteus a go until Isarnia gets maxed, it can take a while… Musashi is to begin as I’m fully ascending Lianna and some 4* healers for war, so Isarnia has a serious queue time to face!

Maybe when I gather enough emblems to 4th ascend her talent (to get jinx double %), summing the ones that are in Proteus, I may reset and retrieve some!

Another related question, Proteus is very squishy to be a tank, but my alliance is pushing purple central now… What do you guys think, a Proteus with emblems (around 147 will net me 5 or 6th skill?) can be tank? More than a vanilla Rigard?

1 Like

Yeah, true. My issue with Proteus wasn’t that his dot needed a little more damage, it was that he needed to live long enough to get his mana block off. To me the damage is secondary. I always run with 2 healers so “not getting one shot” is kinda what I need from the 4 stars.

Here is what a Proteus at 5 nodes looks like taking the defense and health path on the first branch and the attack on the second (I plan on doing attacks the rest of the way)

A fully leveled Rigard still looks like the better tank.

2 Likes

That card by @General_Confusion really tells the story. He’s a 3.6 tile kill, for a 3-stack, and can only get 36% of his mana from tiles before dying. He’s just a super weak tank.

If you had, say, a maxed Triton and a maxed Gadeirus, then it would be at least a conversation. The 10% family defense bonus would start to make things interesting, shifting him to a 4.1 tile kill. With a strong crit troop…maybe.

Rigard is better, but still problematic in AW. As a pure defense special, he invites enemies to stack against the second-biggest threat. They can just dump tiles into him with little fear early on, charge up specials, and go to town.

3 Likes

depends on who his flanks are, unless you don’t ever splash tiles to flanks…in which case I want your luck.

Of course I never splash the flanks! :laughing:

I totally agree about the flanks making a big difference here. Sorry for not being clear about that, and thanks for making sure it got said.

If Halaster had some sexy yellow heroes like Joon, Drake or Onatel, I’d be more sanguine about Rigard at tank. But Wu as a flank in his D right now kinda worries me about the flanks for AW.

As a data point: Rigard was my first maxed 4* by a long shot, and I actually tanked him for a while in my raid defense, with Leo, Li Xiu and Chao on flank at various times. It was not super successful for me in holding cups.

3 Likes

Cookie Settings