After reading this whole thread I understand they don’t want to implement private chat/mail because of the risk of spam and harassment.
To my opinion if humanity was thinking that way for any new improvement we would still have no technology at all and we would all hunt deer bare hand.
If people use an external app to communicate is because there is a need to communicate.
So if the FEAR of small giant is spam, then there is EASY solution that would leave the whole moderation in the hand of players:
- Default, no one can message you, you have to activate the feature first.
- The feature would have some level:
- Close, no one can message you (default) //maybe except the leaders/elders of the alliance you are in.
- Open to all message (if that is what you really want)
- Open to alliance member only (new member need to be in alliance for a specific time, like 24h, before they can send message to alliance member to prevent spam from new join member that leave right after)
- Open to my friend list (peoples you have accept to receive message from)
So anyone that would want to contact someone on “friend list setting” would need to first send a request, which can only be sent once for a unique player ID until there is an answer; the possibility of either accepting, refusing (leave open to further request) or blocking that user (no further request can be receive from that user)
The request/refusal system could have default message so there is no spam in the “reason for request”
To prevent a person to create multiple accounts to spam, the chat/mail system could only be activate after a certain player level (anything that take a day or more)
With this kind of system there would be no need of moderator jobs inside small giant as everyone would be responsible to set their own “privacy”
System like that have already been implemented in many other games/apps, nothings is new there and that would be easily added.
In all the game I played using external app to communicate never was a big win as there will always be people that can’t or don’t want to use them for multiple valid reason.