Poll: What is your experience with the tournament defence grade mechanism?

Some facts:
E grade = 200 points
A grade = 900 points
Difference between someone who had E grade on every day of the tournament and someone who had A grade = 700 points a day (or 3500 per tournament)

Average points you get for a victory on offence:
5* tournaments: 700 points
4* tournaments: 600 points
3* tournaments: 500 points
(numbers are not exact)

In order to have approximately the same final score as someone with only A grade on defence (if you only had E grade), you need:
5* T: 5 more victories on offence
4* T: 6 more victories on offence
3* T: 7 more victories on offence
(numbers are not exact)

That is why, I would like to hear about everyone’s experience with the tournament defence grade mechanism. Let’s only count your experience for the past year.

1. How important for you is the defence grade in a tournament?
  • Very important
  • Important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not important
  • Not important at all

0 voters

1. How often does your defence team get attacked more than 30 times per tournament?
  • In most tournaments
  • Once a month (1/4)
  • Once every two months (1/9)
  • Once every six months (1/26)
  • Once a year (1/52)
  • Never

0 voters

1. How often does your defence team get attacked less than 5 times per tournament?
  • In most tournaments
  • Once a month (1/4)
  • Once a year (1/52)
  • Never

0 voters

1. How often does your defence team get attacked only once per tournament?
  • In most tournaments
  • Once a month (1/4)
  • Once a year (1/52)
  • Never

0 voters

1. How often is your defence team not attacked at all for the entire tournament?
  • In most tournaments
  • Once a month (1/4)
  • Once a year (1/52)
  • Never

0 voters

1. On average, how many times does your defence team get attacked per tournament?
  • 0-3
  • 4-7
  • 8-12
  • 13-19
  • 20-30
  • 30+

0 voters

1. How often do you get a defence grade for the first day of the tournament with only 2 or fewer attacks on your defence team?
  • In most tournaments
  • Once a month (1/4)
  • Once a year (1/52)
  • Never

0 voters

1. How often do you think that your defence grade accurately represents the power/abilities/synergy of your defence team (i.e. getting A grade with a team that is not very optimal/getting E grade with a team that should work very well)?
  • Always
  • Most of the time
  • Often
  • Sometimes
  • Rarely
  • Never

0 voters

1. Are you aware that not every attack on your defence team is included in your defence log? If so, what do you think about that?
  • I did not know that
  • No opinion
  • I am okay with it/I understand it
  • I don’t think it’s fair

0 voters

1. How satisfied are you with the way defence affects your final score in tournaments?
  • Very satisfied
  • Satisfied
  • Somewhat satisfied
  • Not satisfied
  • Not satisfied at all

0 voters

Finally: Would you like to see any changes to the current tournament defence mechanism?

• Yes, changes should be made
  • Maybe
  • No, I’m afraid that potential changes could make the defence log situation even worse
  • No, I’m happy with the current mechanism

0 voters

Feel free to add comments/suggestions.

2 Likes

The biggest problem I have with the current defense grade is when you don’t get attacked for several days at the start of the tournament. You can have a really strong ‘A’ grade defense that doesn’t get tested, and so have a lower score at no fault of your own.

6 Likes

Defense scores can be a total crapshoot. Small samples. Heavy dependence on questionable matchmaking. I’m not opposed to having defensive performance contribute to the total score, but I feel like it should be downweighted.

The points awarded for defense as a percentage of points awarded for offense should also be constant across the three tiers (rare, epic, and legendary). Right now, defense plays a much larger role in rare tournaments than in legendary tournaments.

Lastly, I’d like to see greater weight given to your defense’s performance at the end of the tournament as opposed to at the end of each day.

4 Likes

Thanks for your comments @FighterJack and @TigerDevil.

I agree with that. The worst feeling is when you are sitting on E grade because your (well-suited for the tournament) defence team has lost the single time it was attacked. And at the same time there are people whose defence team is attacked 10+ times on day 1.

I very much support this. It would be a more accurate representation of your defence team and will rely less on the matchmaking (matchmaking will still be key, though).

3 Likes

I find it quite ironic that I didn’t get attacked at all on the first day of tournament the week after creating this thread:

There are several problems with defense score.

Glicko, MMO Elo and Elo work best when equal number of matches.

But tournaments are designed to challenge the attacking player ( see notes )

The biggest problem is the lower level players do not even enter tournaments ( looking at you 5* rush attack ) or are heavily penalized for lack of roster/ skill and are eliminated early in the tournament.

The more I learn about PvP match making, the more it becomes apparent that PvP MMR, PvP mechanics, and PvP reward structure are all heavily interdependent. If any is poorly designed, the others are heavily impacted.

Notes

Click for notes

Defense match making

([Primer] Tournament defense points or Why was my defense team attacked ZERO/ 3000 times)

Suggestions

(Search results for '@Gryphonknight qualifying tourn ' - Empires & Puzzles Community Forum)

FIN

2 Likes