[Play Style] What colors to level or Why do some players use 2+ heroes of the same color [Analysis, Math]- Updated May-08

Subject
[Play Style] What color to level or 3, 4, 5 color teams [Analysis, Math]

This play style attempts to maximize your match 3 damage/ shield damage/ physical damage so you can farm multi-color stages, farm single color stages, complete rare quests and complete challenge events with the least use of battle items.

Simple Advice
As soon as you can, level your first 3* rainbow team (one of each color) to max (3.50),
then level your first 4* rainbow team to max (4.70).

[Edit]
For farming 8-7, substitute your 3* green hero ( strong against blue and neutral against green ) for your 4* red hero ( weak against blue )

For farming Wanted: Elemental mission (chest) substitute your 3* strong color hero for your 4* weak color hero when farming a single color.

For reflected color bosses, level your second 3* rainbow team (substitute for a strong color hero for your reflected color 3* hero against a reflected color boss)
then level your second 4* rainbow team.

Note: your second rainbow team will give you Huge boost against reflective color bosses since you will be replacing a reflected color hero with a strong color hero against the boss.

For farming Wanted: Elemental missions (chest), Challenge events and titans, level your third 3* rainbow team. Substitute for your weak color 3* hero and one neutral color 3* hero while farming a single color. Substitute for you reflected color 3* hero and weak 3* hero while fighting a reflective color boss.
then level your third 4* rainbow team.

[Edit] This will give you another decent boost against reflective color bosses since you will be replacing a reflected color and a weak color with two strong color heroes against the boss.

Level your first 5* rainbow team. A single 5* rainbow team requires the same 3* ascension materials as TWO 4* rainbow teams. Example: 8 warm capes will ascend TWO 4* blue heroes or a single 5* blue hero.

Complex advice
Switching from a Five color team versus a one color boss
to
a Four color team with double strong/ no weak versus one color Boss
increases your damage by 27% from 110% to 140% compared to all neutral heroes (100%).

This happens because you are removing the damage from the weak hero AND replacing it with a strong hero so you get a double boost.
This strategy should increase your average titan damage.

Switching from a Five color team versus a once color boss
to
a One color team with quintuplet strong/ no weak/ no neutral versus one color boss gives you the most increase, 81% from 110% to 200% compared all neutral heroes (100%).

But this strategy suffers from the real world problem of a random match 3 board does not mean an even match 3 board (Note 1) so you can go an entire battle without your hero team’s single color. No matching color means no mana (and almost no damage) which drops your hero team’s damage to almost zero.
This extreme strategy works best on Challenge events, were you can rerun the same board over and over until you get a battle with lots of shields matching the single color of your hero team. Still, I would recommend at least 3 colors on a hero team so any power shard ( result of a match five ) has a 3 in 5 chance of generating mana and damage.

Hero teams that work well against a one color Boss, also work well when farming a stage that is a single color.

[Edit]:

Math equations including probability comparisons

Comparing 3+ matching/ shield damage/ physical damage for different color combinations compared to a team of all neutral heroes (100%):

==Five color team versus one color Boss==
200% x0.2= 40% strong color
50% x0.2= 10% weak color
100% x0.2= 20% neutral color
= 110% normal damage average

minimum damage is 50% x1= 50%

==Four color team with double (2) strong/ no weak versus one color Boss==
2x 200% x0.2= 80% strong color
0% x0.2= 0% weak color
= 140% normal damage

odds zero mana (and almost zero damage) from:

row on board (7)- 1 / 0.2^7 = 1 in 78,125
column on board (5)- 1/ 0.2^5 = 1 in 3,125
Power shard or initial match 5 to create power shard = 1 in 5

==Three color team with triple (3) strong/ no weak/ two neutral versus one color Boss==
3x 200% x0.2= 120% strong color
0% x0.2= 0% weak color
0% x0.2= 0% neutral color
= 160% normal damage

row on board (7)- 1 / 0.4^7 = 1 in 611
column on board (5)- 1 / 0.4^5 = 1 in 98
Power shard or initial match 5 to create power shard = 2 in 5

==Two color team with quadruple (4) strong/ no weak/ one neutral versus one color Boss==
4x 200% x0.2= 160% strong color
0% x0.2= 0% weak color
= 180% normal damage

row on board (7)- 1 / 0.6^7 = 1 in 36
column on board (5)- 1 / 0.6^5 = 1 in 13
Power shard or initial match 5 to create power shard = 3 in 5

==One color team with quintuplet (5) strong/ no weak/ no neutral versus one color boss==
5x 200% x0.2= 200% strong color
0% x0.2= 0% weak color
= 200% normal damage

row on board (7)- 1 / 0.8^7 = 1 in 5
column on board (5)- 1 / 0.8^5 = 1 in 3
Power shard or initial match 5 to create power shard = 4 in 5

[Edit]:

Note 1)

For an even match 3 board, every time a shield is removed from the board, it would be replaced by the next color in sequence. So removing 5 shields from the board would replace them with 5 shields of five different colors.

For a random match 3 board, every time a shield is removed from the board, it can be replaced by any of the other colors. So removing 5 shield from the board has a 1 in 3125 chance of replacing them with 5 purple shields. If your team does not contain a purple hero, you have 5 shields that do almost zero damage to the boss and generate zero mana for your hero.

5 Likes

Check the math. Reflecting color is a negative damage (-100%), not near zero like a missing hero.

Three color team should be optional for reflecting event since removes weak & negative and replaces with strong color.

Example:
Blue reflecting boss then heroes- green strong, yellow & purple neutral, red weak, blue negative.

1 Like

Subject
[Play style] What colors to level or 3, 4 & 5 color teams

Complex advice for reflected color boss

Switching from a Five color team versus a reflected color boss

to

a Four color team with double strong/ no reflected versus reflected color Boss

increases your damage by +85% from 70% to 130% compared to all neutral heroes (100%).
This happens because you are removing the damage from the reflected hero AND replacing it with a strong hero so you get a HUGE boost.

Math equations including probability comparisons

Comparing 3+ matching/ shield damage/ physical damage for different color combinations compared to a team of all neutral heroes (100%):

==Five color team versus reflected color Boss==

200% x0.2= 40% strong color

50% x0.2= 10% weak color

-100% x0.2= -20% reflected color

= 70% normal damage average

minimum damage is -100% x1= -100%

==Four color team with double (2) strong/ no reflected versus reflected color Boss==

2x 200% x0.2= 80% strong color

50% x0.2= 10% weak color

0% x0.2= 0% reflected color

= 130% normal damage

row on board (7)- 1 / 0.2^7 = 1 in 78,125

column on board (5)- 1/ 0.2^5 = 1 in 3,125

Power shard or initial match 5 to create power shard = 1 in 5

==Three color team with triple (3) strong/ no reflected/ no weak/ two neutral versus reflected color Boss==

3x 200% x0.2= 120% strong color

0% x0.2= 0% weak color

0% x0.2= 0% reflected color

= 160% normal damage

row on board (7)- 1 / 0.4^7 = 1 in 611

column on board (5)- 1 / 0.4^5 = 1 in 98

Power shard or initial match 5 to create power shard = 2 in 5

A good way to understand 4, 3, 2 and 1 color teams is to farm 8-7. Try farming it with 2 green heroes, then 3 green heroes, then 4 green heroes and finally 5 green heroes.

If you have a large chunk of time, try it with Brienne and 4 green healers.

This demonstrates the improved damage (strong versus blue monsters and neutral versus green bosses) but also shows some Power shards doing zero mana and almost no damage.

1 Like

I admit I haven’t read everything but will all due respect my answer is Brienne.

Subject
Reflect colors

==Guardians==

Reflect yellow with purple, yellow, and red bosses ( no blue or green bosses )

==Knights==
Knights of the Round

With rainbow bosses

==Pirates==
Pirates of Corellia

With purple, green and red bosses ( no blue or yellow bosses )

3 Likes

Subject
Ranking Challenge events

I only attempt Beginners / *** / Rare Hero level because my Forge is Level 11 so I cannot make all the battle items to effectively compete in Intermediate / **** / Epic Hero level.

In addition to changing your battle items against different Bosses, you also have to shuffle your hero team ( which means having more than one hero of each color ).

Pirate is actually easiest because Pirates is purple ( reflect ) and purple is weak versus purple so take out your purple heroes. Yellow is strong against purple, so you can use yellow heroes against Purple Bosses. There are no Yellow Bosses ( yellow is weak against yellow ). Missing Yellow Bosses and Blue bosses mean less shuffling of your hero team.

Guardians is slightly harder. Yellow ( reflect ) makes it hard for your yellow heroes, but if you switch to purple heroes all the time ( purple is strong against yellow ), you run into problems with the Purple Boss since purple is weak versus purple. Missing Green and Blue Bosses means less shuffling of your hero team.

Knights is hardest. blue ( reflect ) makes it hard for your blue heroes, but red heroes are also weak against blue. Since Knights includes rainbow Bosses, you must shuffle your hero team the most of the three current events.

4 Likes

Thanks Kerridoc for a great way to finesse Gambler’s Stance ( Note 1)

By deliberately using only two colors ( one being yellow for Wu Kong ) you can increase your stun chance against a titan while Gambler’s Stance is active.

Now we just need the game to add a decent 4* yellow healer.

Note 1)

1 Like

Three excellent 5* yellow healers…

1 Like

Update:

I have been testing Defense stat with double weak, double neutral plus one neutral trainer versus the blue 2x Bosses in provinces 8-6, attempting to do the LEAST damage ( Note 1 ). For SCIENCE !

While I am trying to do minimum damage, most of the time you want to do maximum damage, so what causes minimum damage should be avoided.

Lessons learned:

-Center, single bosses are easier to accidentally kill.

So you should farm center, single bosses if you are having trouble with a province.

-Count your waves. I would charge up all five heroes before the final boss wave, and it would leave lots of board colors I could not use. Which was perfect for charging up the Boss and testing his special skill.

So you should consider almost charging all five ( not fully charged ), but trying to remove any huge sets of orphan colors.

-Orphan power shards ( trigger only matching color, created with a match 5+ ) are almost always better for charging the bosses special than Orphan dragon shields ( trigger ANY color adjacent, created with a match 4 ).

So before the final Boss wave, you want to try to form Orphan dragon shields instead of Orphan power shards ( the opposite of my research tactics ).

Orphan dragon shields will often do damage, since the adjacent colors don’t have to match, while Orphan power shards only charge up a Boss’ mana unless the Boss has less than 2 HP. If you are lucky, an Orphan power shard will cause a board combo/ cascade that will do damage.

-It takes practice, and luck, to set up a good board for the final boss wave when using only three colors on a hero team. Whether you are trying to do minimum damage for SCIENCE or maximum damage for loot.

Note 1

For SCIENCE !

1 Like

I’m regularly playing 2x strong + 2x same color as tank + sabina, for raids. With my 2500ish team I can often swipe out up to 3000ish team.

However, if they have more trophies than me. Otherwise I still have impression that board is somewhat harder, no matter the opponents strength.

It’s more challenging, but also more rewarding, you’re happy more often when you manage to kill them even if some moves caused almost zero damage earlier.

For 8-7 I put it on autoplay and it has no problem… so if AI can do it, you definitely can :slight_smile:

Auto play does too much damage, I am trying to do the least damage. I need data points for how defense stat works. Since I don’t know the monster’s stats, I need to analyze the damage done to my hero team. Less hero team damage, more data to analyze.

I thought that you were testing something and side conclusion was about doubling colors and that it’s tricky to play it, so I just wanted to say that even AI can win 8-7 with double colors… Sorry for misunderstanding :slight_smile:

My bad. Reading it a second time, I am very unclear.

When I have a second I will have to rewrite it.

Thank you very much for pointing out the confusion. Constructive feedback always makes posts better.

Edit:
Any clearer?

Still valid math, but pre Advanced Color Stacking / Guesstimate of damage formula

Might flag to Archive

Thinky

Thinky

Thinky

1 Like