Passing on the epic offer, I think

is it supposed to be a competition of skill or a competition of who spends the most?

5 Likes

I am a paying player. Said so when I started this thread. And, I believe it has pushed the needle far enough toward p2p.

I was not sure @zero got my turning down the offer as I budget vs freely spending. Being retired gives me enough to play cheaply, but not to the level described by @uclapack. I am in with @avicious on the game having gone far enough toward p2p. Designing personalized offers no, just no.

1 Like

I got it. Make events where only f2p people can join and participate problem solved.

I find it harder to log into the game every day let alone continue to spend money on itā€¦ I really used to love this game, but as I have taken a step back from my daily playing, I realize how little it really has to offer for me.

That missed.

Still not royalty

Just keep in mind the game needs f2p and p2p players for it to continue existence. Just thought an event where every player is limited to x amount of tries to get the best score would be more fair than f2p get 10 tries or whatever and p2p get as many tries as theyā€™re willing to buy.

I can see how players would see p2p players buying their way to the top of events being comparable to flat out buying mats to get even further ahead while other low budget or f2p players have to pray to RNGesus. And sure the same thing is offered to all players in special offers from SG for a set amount of dollars or gems, but there is no set amount for how much a player can spend to get these mats and that pretty much takes the skill competition part out of it and becomes a spending competition.

that was the whole point of the thouhght. P2p players would still have advantages as zero mentioned as far as buying gems to farm more to make the items it takes to contribute to getting to the top of events so no i wasnā€™t saying letā€™s just have an event for only f2p players. I would just like to see the game relatively balanced in all aspects and i feel like events are pretty imbalanced.

I see it as what if we could buy titan flasks like we can world flasks? p2p players would be at the top of every titan. Same concept with buying world energy refills during events. Seems you want to be combative about the issue, and Iā€™m not sure whyā€¦

1 Like

Are you suggesting to remove the world energy refills from the store altogether? Interesting idea and it would limit the amount of redoing of levels. It would be interesting to see but I honestly think youā€™d see a lot of the same faces. If you could see dator do events you would be shocked at the way he can read boards and how fast he is. Like I said earlier yes we use a lot of refills but strategy is the biggest part. Itā€™s like titan hits. Some players hit the titan harder in one hit than others can flasking a couple times. Itā€™s all about items used, strategy, speed, and board luck.

3 Likes

Fair enough. You are not yet royalty, but if you suggested a true challenge event that had a hard/easy split like S2 where there were limits on refillsā€¦I would listen

1 Like

I agree with what UCLApack said and I have numbers. I spent three hours and about 10 flasks getting myself to 754K, which was #8 at the time and I stopped and ended up #18. I gave up when I realized I would never get top 10, but Dator started at 752K after his first run. That was his base, then he got to 833K which is a ridiculous score. If you limit the number of flasks, Dator would beat me by 150K instead of 80K and I doubt it would change the top 10 that much. All the same 7DD and CP players and others would be there.

I think that instead of just a time based challenge, there needs to be a difficulty based one where one has a lot more time. This would be sort of like the Spring event but with much harder levels, so hard that the top players get stopped. There should be ladder rewards so that getting a certain number of levels gets you something regardless of your peers, and perhaps the top players get avatars and maybe one reward. As it is now, only a few people get 4* mats and meanwhile I get my 50th warm cape. Even if this challenge were created though, I know who would be on top and it would look very familiar.

4 Likes

You can still place top 10 without that many items. I was short one month and still made top 10 with 70 items each and 20 flasks.

So when we go to a two tiered (hard/easy) challenge, we put a fifth slot down in items for flasks. Given your 70 item 20 flask top ten finish, I suggest 15 flask limit for easy.

altogether? i wasnā€™t suggesting that but i guess it would be interesting. i was just making conversation to be honest and trying to elaborate on original thought since it came across that i have something against p2p players. I am p2p btw.

1 Like

Thought your original post came out pro-p2p. Iā€™m trying to cap my spend, but it is hard once you take that fork.

meant original thought as far as the events go. my thought on the special offers was actually geared toward low cost and budget players i know that only buy gems if they come with mats they need. But think zero is right that it would shift the balance of the game even if the offer only came around once a month with a purchase limit of 1 time each time itā€™s offered

Limiting flasks is not the answer. A casual or even a f2p player could compete in top 10 or even win it. It just takes dedication and saving the flasks. Are you going to be able to compete for it every month? Probably not but there are some strong f2p players out there that could win it.

true happens all the time

There was mention earlier of buying flasks. Not many f2p doing that.

Sure that sG would not want to injure a cash cow, but it would widen the field if there were a second tier that set limits.

1 Like

Love the conversation and a 2 tier event with not limited runs should be the easy one and the actual one you have a cap on re runs or flasks used should say hard. Iā€™m a free to play player since day one. Have ranked in the top 10 rare events the last 4-6 events. Iā€™ll never be able to win one without prepping for months. There is no challenge in buying refills until you get the right board then playing it. Empires is a luck based game first with skill second. 2 tier challenge event would be awesome because I personally would love to see what the ptw players could do with limited runs or refills. I know some will do amazing regardless which is awesome. Would be more like a ftp event and ptp event. Lets do it. @mhalttu @Petri Amazing conversation from everyone! :slightly_smiling_face: Enjoyed reading it all.

Iā€™d say it would work best that the easy one you use all the items youā€™ve saved up and the hard everyone gets a set amount of items but you bring in your own heroes and troops. Iā€™d even say to compensate some of the lost revenue from the hard one even doing a 100-200 gem buy in to participate wouldnā€™t be a bad idea. If you really wanted to go all out give everyone the exact same heroes,troops,items to see who is the best/luckiest every event. Anyway just thinking out loud now to give some ideas on how to possibly make it work out.

An interesting idea ā€“ allow a player to opt into the ā€œopen challengeā€ (unlimited replays) or the ā€œlimited challengeā€ (limited replays).

And to address @Xero786ā€™s concern that the ā€œlimited challengeā€ would be dominated by luck, suppose every player got the same set of boards? Of course, it would quickly become known what the boards looked like and which one(s) to focus on, but it would still be a match of skill.

1 Like