Opinion on usernames and the world situation

It’s all about context.

1 Like

Call yourself The Vaccine and go to raid all those covids & coronas.
:wink:

11 Likes

:man_shrugging:

Call it what you will; no concern of mine. While yes, the majority of players will do the right thing, its the minority who will ruin it for the others… Just because not many people do it, doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be wrong & reported…

I mean extrapolate your argument out to Real Life… Only a small number of people would commit murder… doesn’t make it wrong or worth “tattletailing” to the police about does it? Just because it’s in the digital world doesn’t make it any less hurtful or insensitive than if it were in Real Life…

RE why people should report the players; SGG have filters on text in the code. There are obvious limitations to it & ways that players get around those filters (i.e. using non-standard keyboards, breaking words apart with punctuation etc…). The system will catch many problems but cannot catch them all…

2 Likes

Ghostlights says it’s okay to be your lesser self while playing a game but act like an adult in the same sentence. I think he is confused because he confused me with that reply. Lol!

2 Likes

There are also larger considerations for SG beyond just whether it’s in poor taste as well (though it is poor taste), though I believe those are secondary to the decision here at the moment.

This stuff doesn’t surprise me; it’s not uncommon to see people who think that they are funny and clever when in reality they are neither.

1 Like

I should have thought its probably a kid or gang banger. So in his mind right could be wrong and wrong could be right. Before I commented the first time.

1 Like

Conflating a silly name with murder is just…no. Stop it. And I do not condone awful people hiding behind the anonymity afforded to them them thru the internet to be completely offensive jerks. I do appreciate that they self identify, though.

That is excatly my point; It may be just silly to YOU but it doesn’t mean that it is necessarily silly to everyone.

My point stands.

2 Likes

I agree that these names should Not be permitted but In my experience SG is abysmal at policing usernames.

A member of my alliance has the name SirKumsision and had it removed by SG, but names like TheRapist and HughjPenis are left even if reported.

2 Likes

Forcing your opinion on others goes both ways. No one is universally right. This whole conversation is purely political at this point if SGG wants to force their opinions on others it’s their game, they can do what they want. None of our opinions on it really matter.

Sorry I just reread this, I feel like it was aimed at you instead of my intent of at the group as a whole. I have edited to reflect

1 Like

All good; no offence was taken :stuck_out_tongue:

My point was more that (typically) the offended party has more at stake than the offending party.

3 Likes

That’s fair enough I reckon

Perhaps the best way to describe my feelings about those names is …

TOO SOON :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Kindness, compassion and empathy are not opinions

2 Likes

Nor is the requirement to feel them as you do

1 Like

Simply because you feel those things doesn’t mean I am obligated to and if I do or do not doesn’t make me a good or bad person, it makes me different from you

2 Likes

I’m reminded of the song by Mp3head:

Moral police
Arrest this man
He talks in maths
He buzzes like a fridge
He’s like a detuned radio

Moral police
Arrest this girl
Her Hitler hairdo
Is making me feel ill
And we have crashed her party

This is what you’ll get
This is what you’ll get
This is what you’ll get
When you mess with us

1 Like

Bardic Post of the Day :medal_sports:

Let’s be the best we can.

Being sensitive to others is not being a snowflake.

Having a sense of humour is not being a gammon.

There are no perfect answers, only perfect intentions.

Keep it civil and wash your hands :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

9 Likes

My intention was not to disturb them or cause conflicts in the forum.
I simply gave my opinion.
I think that the world is very badly hit with this issue and that these names should not be allowed.
Even more so by having a campaign by SG (#PlayApartTogether)

Sorry if I don’t answer everyone. My English is not very good to have a debate on the matter.
Many things I need a translator to understand and answer.

1 Like

Words versus actual murder is the point you stand by. Good to know.

Cookie Settings