Open gates

I almost didn’t post it. It felt selfish to write that on @Sagittarius story if I’m honest but writing it felt cathartic. I sat on it for a bit before I hit post.

But the truth is if my Dad can dry out then it gives a glimmer of hope to anyone. Everyday is a struggle for him too but everyone that fights it daily has all my respect.

Finally - you are right, what an amazing community this game has created. For all it’s perceived faults and issues you can never say the people that play aren’t amazing.

9 Likes

Gefeliciteerd (congratulations) on your progress. You have come a long way… and we applaud you for your dedication!

7 Likes

Great progress, @Sagittarius! Keep doing the good work!!

Yes, cravings never completely go away. You show them your willpower. :muscle:t3: :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

@Cheds: Thank you for sharing your story! I know it must be hard. This story touches more lives than you may expect.

You should be happy for his grandkids, and more importantly that he is sober and his genuine self now. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not sure how an AA can have a waiting list - seems like they would simply create more groups to help with the demand. But nevertheless, if you’re looking for a group that can support you through this, there are online options available:

Not sure how well either of these will work for you if you are still in the Netherlands, but definitely worth a shot and if in-person is an option during the Pandemic, try this site:

My brother in law was a recovered alcoholic an it meant everything to him and my sister to be clean.

Wishing you all the best.

6 Likes

It’s a very strange thing. He’s a clever, funny man but demons exist in us all. They just scream louder in some people than In others I think.

It’s damaged my relationship with him, I doubt we will ever be “Father and Son” again. But that he can now be Granddad to my Sisters kids will be enough of a reward for me.

Sorry, I don’t mean to go on but it’s one of those taboo topics that shouldn’t be. Anyone can become an addict and society can be very dismissive at times. But there’s usually a reason and if we can get to the root cause and help people to help themselves then I’m all for an open discussion on it.

5 Likes

I know this from personal experience.

I also know how much effort that person has to put in to overcome his/her addiction - even with help from others, it’s a lotttt.

I am proud of your father for managing to achieve that. Hopefully, you both can reconcile soon.

Love and Cheers!! :beers:

2 Likes

I for one (and I am sure there will be many many others) am glad you hit the post button after writing this.
I appreciate that it may have been difficult for you, but what you wrote was powerful in telling about a life hit with drink and the impact that had on lots of family and friends including you as a son.
And such a positive outcome will give hope to others addicted to drink or drugs etc. That their addictive behaviour can be changed for the better and they can move forward, that it can be beaten and that they can return to a happy fulfilling life.
All the very best to you and your family. Take care

4 Likes

I got on with my life. At 18 I moved out and decided to just do the opposite and made a good go. That’s the guilt I mentioned. I could have stayed and tried to do more but I’d had enough by that point. The years that followed had some tough moments as I tried to confront it from afar which never really helped in truth.

The real hero in this story is my Sister. When they were writing out the DnD character sheets she got all the compassion :joy:

That’s the side of addiction that some people maybe don’t see. When someone has no interest in acknowledging an issue it drives wedges. It was just by the time he came to that decision I had long moved on. If many years earlier he had wanted to change, to get better and fight his demons we’d have had different life journies.

It’s amazing when you look back at life and try to spot those “sliding door” moments.

So honestly don’t give me any credit here.

Sometimes people with addictions can’t see any light in the tunnel, I just wanted to share that there is light there if you look hard enough. My sister had that light but he had to want to see it and he did.

That’s the real victory…I just told the story rather than starred in it. I’m sure if a film was made of his life I’d not come across particularly well in it :joy:

7 Likes

Dear Cheds,

It’s great telling your story and I feel for you, sorry you’ve been tru much.

The alcohol goes way back in my family, from mom to her dad etc.No excuse for my alcoholic drinks though…

It’s awesome sharing and never feel bad of your expierience bringing here.

All response here is kind of overwhelming for me. All positive and helping is what we all need.

Thank you for being so open

7 Likes