šŸ•µ Octros ā€“ S4 Hero ā€“ 5* Fire / Red: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback

I pulled this guy and costumed Wanda. Iā€™m torn on who to give rings to. Alliance mates are saying he will be meta for defenses and equally great on offense, but Iā€™m not completely sold yet. Definetely hits hard at 340% and attack down on a red hero is something my roster lacks, but the average speed is a huge setback on offense.

Wanda is solid and pairs well with Elizabeth, because of the healing steal. I think she would be a great addition specially for wars, even though I already have very fast status ailment protection in Garnet. I also have about 1000 idle sorcerer emblems.

Octros on the other hand offers a heavy hit (depending on tiles) and attack down at average speed. My red roster lacks both. But at average speed, this tile dependent special does not impress.

3 Likes

If you like killhare I can see Octros playing a similar role.

Itā€™s interesting comparing Octros to Odin and Frigg. Octros does more damage, but at a slower speed and what Iā€™d call a worse secondary effect.

I also compare Octros to Liz. Octros does more damage up front. If you combine damage and health blocking they deal similar damage in my mind. Again Octros has a worse secondary effect.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get crushed my Octros a few times but I donā€™t expect to see him on too many defenses.

For offenses, those that love a boldtusk, Wilbur, falcon mono team will get use.

Id level him if I got him, but Iā€™m not going for him and wouldnā€™t be too excited if I got him.

Shouldā€™ve been fast like Odin and Frigg with less dmg. Or make Odin an Frigg average with more dmg.
I didnā€™t get him, but seems pretty ā€œaverageā€ to me.

Iā€™ve shown this type of analysis in a few other Hero threads, but Octros looks to have the possibility to be the highest overall damage dealer Iā€™ve looked into. Filtered below high-to-low by speed-adjusted total damage:
OctrosDamageAnalysis
Yes, itā€™s conditional damage but I think having 0-2 red shields on the board would be quite rare so he/she is generally hitting at least as hard as Anzogh, most often at G. Kong / Killhare level and occasionally (8+ tiles not being that hard to achieve!) at god-level, enough where a defensively paired Morel + Octros and follow up slash hits is killing a majority of your team.

A few acronyms from the chart: CP = Card Power, TTK = Toughness to Kill, D2A = Damage 2 All, D21 = Damage 2 One, D2A-Speed Adjusted = D2A / Number of tiles to charge. D2A-SA is one of my favorite metrics for damage dealers as it includes both DoT damage and mana speed compensations

7 Likes

Is Cristobal eligible to be included in that analysis?

He doesnt require many tiles to have a huge hit, and he gives attack down, as a fighter. Frigg and Odin are dependent on tiles, and they do just fine lol. He is a better Killhare, and Killhare is also a great hero.

1 Like

Tell me about I did a double check when I saw he was average. Even with his slight increase in stats/special I thought it was funny that they decided to make him average compared too Frigg and Odin

Here you goā€¦ 2x charge only as weā€™re comparing 5x AoE hitters.

Cristobal is both the top and the bottom with that slow 2x Magic charge :laughing: When timed right, Cristobalā€™s individual damage to an opponent is a massive difference from Octros (590 vs 450 against. defense stat 850)ā€¦but nearly exactly compensated for by the speed difference in the way I calculated it. I feel like Cristobalā€™s duality (if you also consider 1x Magic charge- - ? Quadality ?) requires a human touch (i.e. offense) to be used with maximum effectiveness. Still a great hero, but I think Octros will probably be more reliably hitting hard on both offense and defense and a really good choice for war defenses considering the current set of buffs. the -attack debuff isnā€™t included in the above analysis either- just pure speed-adjusted damage.

3 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll have to put both on Defense ;). If I pull Octros!

Then why did Frigg and Odin get nerfed and why are they still core meta heroes?

Of course a situational hero could be OP. If his card said that 9 red shields on the board when he fired meant you instantly win, would that not be OP?

7 Likes

What are some examples of non-situational OP heroes?

Both heroes are amazing. They both should probably get your next 12 rings lol. Congrats on your pulls! I am super jealous TBH lol

1 Like

Faster 5* Sudri with bonus attack down? Yes, please. This guy will be pretty good on defense especially Iā€™d guess.

Edit: and just pulled him. Full pic.

4 Likes

I think Morel is wrong in your chartā€¦he does 210% on the first hit, 180% after.

Unless you are prepared for him and take proper cardsā€¦ Kingston turns this guy into a spaghetti. Same goes for both taunters. Thorā€™s blind will help. Precharging your healer will help.

It doesnā€™t mean this guy Octros is BAD but him being average means you can prepare for his hit. Yea if you are one of those who have 1 offense preset regardless of who you attack, he may cause you trouble. But if you put at least a bit thinking into composing your attacking team based on who youā€™re facing, he is easy to counter. With Friggā€™s fast special your ability to charge someone before her was much more difficult, especially when she had someone like fast Odin charged the same turn. Even a turn more may mean all the difference in these matches.

1 Like

True, but if you have to prepare for 5 killersā€¦who do you prepare for first?

3 Likes

Well the one who charges first.

I donā€™t see what this has to do with what you quoted me on

Possibly I misread or wanted to quote someone else! Sorry about that.

Just watched spocks video testing out this guy and Iā€™m sadly disappointed. I pulled octros with three free summons and was really excited. His 340% damage is 40% higher than killhare but the damage of his seems weaker? Iā€™ll still level and max him but Iā€™m very ctp so my roster isnā€™t full of great heroā€™s. A week ago I got odin so I have a few premium heroā€™s but very few. I canā€™t figure out how his hit doesnā€™t seem to be on par with killhares when his damage % is higher???

2 Likes