No attack power is added to the tournament

So the bonus from the buff is added to Joon’s 468% damage from his special?

If that’s the case, on specials perspective, there is almost no gain having the buff if that special already has a high % of damage.

On your reference, if we take the exact same Joon to attack twice with his special:

(1 + 4.68 + 0.4) ^ 1.35 / (1 + 4.68 + 0.2) ^ 1.35 = 11.43 / 10.93 = 1.045 (4.5%)

And if we compare 20% buff for Joon’s special with no buff at all

(1 + 4.68 + 0.2) ^ 1.35 / (1 + 4.68 + 0) ^ 1.35 = 10.93 / 10.43 = 1.048 (4.8%)

So what’s the point on giving 20% attack buff to a hero which special has a high % of damage if the difference is, at most, 5% damage gain? It’s much more preferable to give attack buffs to heroes with “attack all five enemies” and a lower % of damage.

It sounds a bit counter intuitive in my opinion.

Yes. But that math is actually wrong I believe. It’s not 1 + 468% + 20%. It’s just 468% + 20%.

Attack boosts are boosts to base attack. So yeah, 20% of base attack is only an effective 4% boost to the pre-exponential portion of Joon’s special damage.

1 Like

I see, every day something new is learnt.

Now I’ll appreciate a bit more attack boost on heroes that attack all 5 enemies with low damage %

1 Like

It is a bigger percentage boost. But the total damage gain is still not enormous. 40% damage boost under exponentiation is a LOT better than 20%.

That said, 20% of Joon’s troop-adjusted attack power is noticeable. An extra couple of hundred points of attack power is handy :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Oops, you’re indeed correct on that. :flushed:

1 Like

I also had some issues. My Joon was pimped with + 100% (crit bonus and attack bonus from Ares, Def buff from Viv and holy def buff from Dom) & +54% from Ares. So his attack stats before firing his Special were about 2500. But he only hit 775. (Unfortunately, I didn’t took a video) .

I think you might both be off the mark here. 468% is the multiplier applied to the damage. It has nothing to do with the 20% attack buff which is applied to the attack total, and that step happens well before the 468% is applied.

The buff booster adds 20% to attack for each active buff, which includes element links. It’s that simple. The variance in damage totals is due to randomness.

Richard have high defense
Elena have low defense

I wrote in this thread:

Somehow Boldtusk +48% attack boost only increase damage by less than 25%. (I attempted that multiple time so it was’t just unfortunate RNG).

@Garanwyn can you verify it? Could there be some bug in the danage calculation?

The problem is that an increase in attack does not relate linearly to an increase in damage. It is also affected by the Defense value of the target.

Recommended reading for damage explanation:

Hopefully this clears it up? I don’t think it’s a bug

Defense instead of HP.

To take defense out of the equation, try it on the same target (make sure the target have the same defense buff).

Posted both places for convenience:

BT’s buff moves Caedmon’s special damage from 345% to 345%+48%=393%. That is a 13.9% increase in pre-exponentiation attack power. Putting that through the exponential gives a 19.2% damage increase.

550 is 122% of 450, so it sure looks about right to me.

One point I would like to bring up: We’re pretty sure that the attack buffs are working this way, but perhaps the question is should they work this way?

Because the effective damage boost is smaller for specials when using an attack buff, it almost always seems like a better use of a hero slot to bring a defense debuffer rather than an attack buffer (titans excluded). Similarly, a defense buffer would almost always be more effective at reducing enemy special damage than an attack debuffer, particularly against enemy snipers with large special damage percentages. This seems like a balance issue.

Perhaps the game’s damage algorithm needs tweaking? Might be a topic for a different thread, though.

2 Likes

It depends on whether your focus is tiles (where the attack buff produces it’s full rated value) or specials (where even the biggest buffs only help specials out so much).

There is definitely something wrong. The higher the base attack, the lower the special damage. Or it doesn’t add up Ares buff plus the special.

It’s not additive in the way you’re thinking. The buff percentages are additive with his special percentage. So a 100% attack buff will buff his special damage by about 30%.

Also, you have to look at who he is hitting and what buffs they have on them. For instance, if Kunchen’s special has fired recently, all dark heroes will have a significant defense against Joon’s special. A defensive buff on a target will likewise mitigate a lot of damage.

Also remember that there is a large random component. It’s entirely possible, even likely, that looking at any single tile you will be 20% above or below the expected value.

But with +154% attack I should be on Wu level without misses & crit buff.
I just can’t see this tile damage. By far not. The special also looked quite low to me, Magni hit for 560 dmg

It doesn’t work this way, Boldtusk buff increase attack stat by 48%, I already check it by clicking the hero when under the effect of the buff.

If the +48% is not applied to the attack stat but to % damage of special skill then the displayed attack stat and skill description is misleading @Petri

Permanent boosts get shown directly in the attack stat when you click. Temporary boosts such as the special %, don’t.

But the boosts and decreases get added together before being multiplied times the attack stat. What you see when you click is effectively the “tile damage stat value” for the hero, which operates at an effective 100% damage.

When you switch to a special instead, that 100% gets replaced by the damage % of the special.

You are interpreting “+48% Attack” as “+48% Attack stat.” The way that SG does damage makes that an incorrect interpretation. “+48% damage to all attacks” would be a more consistent phrasing.

2 Likes

It is based on the visual:

It clearly show +48% increase in attack stat.

If that is not how SG intended it to be, then there is a bug, whether it is the formula or displayed attack stat, one of them is incorrect. @Petri

1 Like