News about the Rare Quests

It spawned something like 3 or 4 hours ahead of the event technically.

1 Like

Well can I at least have a hug???

2 Likes

You can always get a hug! :smile:

2 Likes

We must have the same greedy dwarf blood flowing in our veins, lol.

Seriously, I canā€™t see how having a rare quest & the event at the same time throws folks into conniptions. Unless youā€™re shooting for a top 50 finish in the challenge, it seems logical that you knock off the rare quest (especially if you need those particular AIs) & tackle the challenge the next 2 & a half days.

Set me up with an IV of rare quests, please SG.

1 Like

I cannot understand how someone could complain, I did both the quests and event and finished top 50ā€¦

1 Like

Kudos!

Since Iā€™m swallowed up in the NaNoWriMo 30 day novel writing challenge, I couldnā€™t spare time to redo event stages like I did last month. I settled for the intermediate level completion reward.

Next month, thoughā€¦full bore at all three!

soā€¦

However, not getting a single rare quest in three weeks is extremely unlikely.

If Iā€™m not mistaken (trying to remember) our last rare quest (Morlovia) was during the last event and spawned about 2.5 weeks ago? As this was (I believe) also still in the last period with upped rates, what happened since? :rofl:

Can we get the increased rates back again? :slight_smile: Think it is about time to be compensated for our loss :wink:

(Edit: I see one just spawned, can we still increase the drop rates though?)

They must have heard you ā€¦ we just got a new rare quest. :smile:

1 Like

Yeah but still we didnā€™t appear to get anywhere close to the 2x rate promised past the event and we were promised 3 weeks of itā€¦ which judging from the first two weeks, didnā€™t happen unless we got horrifically unlucky.

Iā€™m growing increasingly frustrated with the progression in this game and while I havenā€™t been a developer fanboi Iā€™ve be one of their staunchest supporters on the forum for most of my tenure here (with some small lapses).

Iā€™d be stunned and amazed if this is really working as intended, frankly we should have a minimum of 1 rare quest a week in my opinion and really our getting 2 that one week was fantastic and maybe should be the new normal. Theyā€™ve stated in various places theyā€™re looking at aways to get more ascension items into the hands of the players, why not fix what you have first SG?

ETA: if we really did have a week left of 2x (shouldā€™ve skipped the event though I doubt they took that into consideration), then yeah, it was effectively the same as three weeks. Might as well still be broken if it werenā€™t for the one today, certainly happening twice suggests their code needs tweaking, again, as twice within a two month span is hardly ā€œextremely unlikelyā€ by any rational opinion.

4 Likes

The latest rare quest was indeed spawned on the 26th (UTC). The one before that was on the 13th. Before that we had rare quests on the 9th and 6th.

We lost two weeks worth of rare quests due to the original bug, but I doubled the probability for three weeks because of the event, so nobody would have anything to complain about. I brought back the old probabilities on the 18th.

We should get a rare quest about once per week on average. As Iā€™ve said before, the quests are generated randomly so sometimes it may mean two quests in one week and sometimes it may mean one quest in two weeks.

Iā€™ll add a note to myself to monitor the frequency, to make sure there are no issues. However, nothing points to that direction at the moment.

10 Likes

if the desired outcome is you want rare quests to show up on average once a week, why rely on an algorithm and then have to monitor it, deal with player perception, deal with droughts and clusters, etc.

Why not program a rare quest each week, with start date randomly generated that week between Sunday and Wednesday (semi-random start date for people who work 18-20 hour shifts). Just keep it simple.

8 Likes

That post is logical and makes sense, so therefore it wonā€™t happenā€¦:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

More rare quest please. I know the limit is two weeks, but isnā€™t it nice if we can have twice quest a week, like come on, my heroes need their items to pass the test.

If the Devs gives us a hand letā€™s not take the whole arm.

2 Likes

These Devs donā€™t give anything away.

The issue is this game deals with small chances of desirable events occurring (such as rare quests). If you double a small chance of something happening, you getā€¦ wait for itā€¦ still only a small chance of that thing happening.

On the surface a statement like (weā€™ll double the chances of this happening for a period) seems like theyā€™re being terribly helpful, etc, but really it will probably not have much of a noticeable effect to the community (if the original chance was low).

This is a common misconception about statistics. You have a 0.1% chance of getting this disease. Youā€™re told ā€˜Donā€™t eat Y food because it DOUBLES your chance of getting the diseaseā€™. This causes much sensation, shock and horror. But really it just goes up to 0.2% chance then - probably not worth a major lifestyle change, is it?

So the Devs saying they are boosting the chance of a rare event happening is only really still just leaving us at the mercy of the RNG gods, with still a small chance. I think there is merit in @Dante2377 's suggestion and where such action is to be taken, introduce a time-modified guarantee of the eventā€¦ or have the chance steadily escalate the longer you go without it occurringā€¦ or any of a number of other approaches. Just boosting a small chance by some amount doesnā€™t really cut it.

2 Likes

and also stop making things that occur rarely and are supposed to be rewards (i.e. rare wanted chests) give out total farmable junk.

Not an issue during Rare Quests, but more of a general statement.

6 Likes

Yeh - what he saidā€¦ Random low chance of desirable loot on occurrence of a random low chance of the desirable event when it finally happens is sure to lead to frustration. At least SOME form of guarantee of something, followed by some more random somethings would be better.

(And no, this does not translate to ā€˜just give everyone free everythingā€™ā€¦ oddly enough there is a lot of middle ground between these choices).

1 Like

Yeah, the devs should totally boot out scabbards and the likes from rare elemental chest.

Yes, Iā€™m not talking about the whiners whining about things that are common and easily filled (i.e. titan chest every 5 days). Iā€™m talking about the rare wanted chest. No reason to ever get a scabbard + battle manual as your only ascension items.

2 Likes

Whiner here! :smile: I disagree with the titan chest. 5 days definitely should warrant better stuff than a daily chest. Itā€™s just logical, especially since some titans like to escape so itā€™s more than 5 days sometimes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like