Add Chat to Tutorial For New Players / When Players Join an Alliance

I hoping if we generate enough chat on this that SG might help. We end up booting so many newbies because we can’t get them to discover chat and chime in. We love helping newbies but if you can reach them before they reach level 12 and join wars they’ve got to go. I can’t imagine all the alliances they get booted from because they don’t chat, SG has such great tutorials when you begin the game. I’m hoping they will add something about chat when the newbie gets to the level where they can join an alliance. If you agree please help make this a popular post

Sounds like a bunch of introverts

I’ll support a tutorial, but it would be really quick:

1. Click here:

1. Type messages.

(…with a quick note about the toggle button, in case they accidentally turned chat off.)

5 Likes

I think this should actually BE the tutorial!! Have a black cat show up and scratch an arrow to the chat bubble!!

5 Likes

Oh, I feel the same. So many people are just ignoring the chat.
I’m not sure if your idea would help or not, but… it sounds so easy to implement that it worth to try :slight_smile:

Also… You can put something like “Hey newbies, please look into the chat” into the alliance description :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yup I’ve had a featured message about chat for months now. They have to actually open chat to read it. We are once again up to 3 newbies that we haven’t been able to get to answer us. The boot has to come out when they reach level 12 and it’s a darn shame since there’s no way to let them know why ther are getting booted

2 Likes

Unfortunately they have to open chat to see it.

We have always had some super chatty people & some introverts who almost never say anything. As long as they’re consistent with Titans/wars, everyone is happy.

We recently had to move our alliance because our leader completely lost his account. It took us 2 extra days to move because one quiet guy never looked at chat and stayed fighting a 6* Titan when everyone else was gone! That’s when we found out he was a real life friend of another member who called him & told him to move (why his friend didn’t call him 2 days earlier remains a mystery).

Now I include an exhortation to check chat daily along with my other welcome message points. I know they’ve seen it when they say “thanks.”

I agree a short chat tutorial could be helpful!!!

1 Like

When I first started I also ignored chat. Yes, I’m an introvert but it was really more to do with fact that the game overwhelmed me. I’m sure I missed my first couple of titans, too!

At some point there must have been something in chat that caught my attention because I responded. Probably not more than a “thanks” but it got the ball rolling. Of course now my alliance mates wish I would just stop chatting :rofl:

So, I’m know it’s frustrating but sometimes we just need to let new members settle in. We have one member who has been playing with us over 2 years. I don’t even know where he lives or if indeed he’s really a he.

He’s said perhaps 10 words in that all time yet he’s never missed a titan or using his war flags and every time we switch war tanks he does it.

I call him the strong, silent type :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve got a few more suggestions:

1. First of all, why is the chat collapsible at all? I don’t think that it’s good. Not much extra free space in the castle, but much more chances for the chat to be ignored.
  2. Is it possible to let the alliance message send a push notification to the phone? I mean, a notification that will popup outside of the application. Of course, everyone will be able to turn that off in the app configs.
  3. An ability to send a message with “higher importance” that will appear in the UI in a different way (e.g. in a popup - TBD).
    Option A: Only the alliance leader will be able to send such “high importance” messages.
    Option B: An ability to mention a user in the chat (like “@username”) - the message will appear with higher importance to the user that was mentioned.

I know that these suggestions are a little bit offtop… But I’ll treat this thread as a master-thread for all ideas related to bringing the novices’ attention to the alliance chat.

It occurs to me that some of these silent players may speak a different language…especially if you speak a different language than the flag you use (i see this a LOT).

Could that be the problem?

1 Like

Most people normally say English isn’t there first language! Had one dude in our alliance is wicked his moved to the bigger alley but is phillies he doesn’t always understand what’s saying due to slang!? But also have a few older people who is American who don’t understand biab or other text phrases! Not everyone is going to get what people are saying!

Do people here know what a dustpan and brush is?

No clue what you mean in your language. In English the definition is very clear to me. We have only had 2 people who couldn’t understand English. One came with an interpreter. Worked out until the interpreter got less active. I’ve found with Newbies who have no clue about the game. We have to end up booting them if we can’t communicate and help them. They are a liability

I’d never rule that out. There have been a couple times when we couldn’t under stand thier names and I was sure that was the case. Still think the big reason is that they haven’t opened alliance chat. Or maybe don’t care for it. Just want to play the game. I have seen people on line searching for a new alliance who say they want one who doesn’t care if they use chat. Either way I think this problem needs a solution

1 Like

Cool idea. I’d like this option to reach all my team mates.

I wouldn’t mind a member like that. But it is fun to get to know the other guys. I’ve found the more you know your team members the more you want to be there for them. We’ve had people who chimed in in the beginning but when they opt out of wars they lose interest in chat too. Most don’t last.

1 Like

For me, it’s definitely not the case (cause my alliance is Russian-speaking and new members usually have Russian names).
But maybe it is for someone else.

2 Likes

A dialog from just yesterday (in WhatsApp):

X: Y, why are you ignoring our war strategy one more time?
Y: Which strategy? o_O
X: (attaches a screenshot of the pinned alliance message)
X: Y, are you reading the alliance chat?
Y: Nope. You are writing too much there. I’m opening the game after 5-hours pause and I can’t read all these 50-100 messages.
X: You don’t need to always read them all, just pay attention to the pinned message please. Also, during the war, all our messages in the chat are actually important.

Y is a member of our alliance during many months :smiley:

2 Likes

As a recruiter that recently received a temporary ban, I feel this game sets us recruiters up for banning. It doesn’t do a good job of showing players where they go to find the other chat rooms. I get most of my new recruits by recruiting in the General Chat room. I, myself, didn’t know there were other chat rooms until I was more than a month into the game and recruiting for my second alliance.

Perhaps adding a part in the tutorial or a different icon for finding the different chat rooms would cut down on the number of recruiting ads in General Chat.

1 Like

On that topic. Instead of a message telling them who booted them, let that person send a note along with the boot inviting them back if they will only communicate. My first alliance had an American flag but the players were chatting in NORWEGIAN so I ignored the chat until the alliance disbanded and they left me to lead. I became real chatty real fast. As soon as you join an alliance, you should have a tutorial directing you to the chat and actually force your first interaction much like they force you to go all the way to invites periodically.