New Zealand- Shock, struggling, help ( link )

There are a lot of New Zealanders who play the game and contribute to the forum. I’m one of them, although I have lived in London for about 15 years.

I cannot communicate how devastating the events in Christchurch have been. NZ is a small country: everyone I know has been affected in some way. My whanau is still there, some in Christchurch. None of them were hurt but they’re all struggling. I’m struggling, and I’m 12,000 miles away.

This link sets out ways people can donate to the victims of Christchurch. Perhaps it’s inappropriate and qualifies as spam - I understand if it gets deleted. I understand if this post in its entirety is deemed inappropriate for the forum and is removed. No hard feelings.

I’m taking a little break from the forum for a bit. This is not me quitting, it’s me recognising that my immediate reactions to what I am reading here are not entirely balanced or rational, just at the moment. I’m going to get a bit of air for a few days.

Kia kaha Aotearoa. Aroha.

41 Likes

You have been a help on the forum.

Let us help you now

If you need to chat - serious, silly or math - we will gladly chat on any messaging apps you like to use.

Fred Rogers often told this story about when he was a boy and would see scary things on the news: “My mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers — so many caring people in this world.”

“I did, and I came to see that the world is full of doctors and nurses, police and firemen, volunteers, neighbors and friends who are ready to jump in to help when things go wrong.”- Fred Rogers

11 Likes

Thank you @Brobb… we have a member from Christchurch, New Zealand as well. What a horrifying thing…My heart goes out to them.

7 Likes

Amen Brobb.

One of our members is from New Zealand too and was obviously distressed.

To all of our friends in New Zealand and any and all places facing pain and trauma; we love you.

12 Likes

I really think that’s missing the point. Saying something is a tragedy doesn’t in any way mean that something else isn’t.

No one else has brought the religion of the victims or perpetrator into it here and I strongly believe that we can support members of the community without having to judge the politics of the situation.

@Kerridoc @zephyr1 @Rook
Despite brobb’s best efforts and intentions, this thread will need a close eye.

13 Likes

I’m going to reply quickly before this thread gets de-railed.

My heart goes out to the victim’s families and friends. I’m Canadian and we’ve had our unfair share of hate-filled attacks. When it happens the whole country mourns.

I totally understand how you are feeling right now. Please know that the vast majority of people support you right now. I feel there should be a place in this forum for that kind of support …

Unfortunately, I’m also realistic enough to know that it will soon be abused by ignorance, intolerance, immaturity and hate. That’s the real sadness!

16 Likes

Since one couldn’t relativize one evil with another, it will be better to sympathize with all the innocent gotten harmed, no matter of the background.

Killing always means hate and hate is the ugliest face of ones soul.

There’s no need to debate mad world politics here, there has to be a place of hope and love for the peaceful here, there and everywhere.

16 Likes

Moderator’s Note

SGG Staff have reviewed this thread and deemed it is not spam, and is appropriate to remain.

20 Likes

And now, speaking as me:

My favorite thing about E&P is the community.

If you’d told me 9 months ago that a game I downloaded from a random ad while bored one day would lead to real friendships, and a meaningful part of my socializing, I’d never have believed it.

In my time here, I’ve experienced and participated in outpourings of support for alliance mates in times good and bad, not just for in-game tribulations, but serious life events of joy, mourning, and much in between. Those experiences in my alliance over time are much of what led me to join the broader Forum community, and become more involved over time.

This broader family amongst the Forum has become very meaningful to me. To echo what others have said above, I hope that it can be one of support and comfort in difficult times like these, and that we can set aside political debates and focus on providing comfort, escape, and understanding for each other as needed.

So if it’s helpful to take a breather and some space, do that. And if it’s helpful to distract yourself with the game and community, do that. And if it’s helpful to engage and talk, do that.

Whatever you need, I know many of us are here for you.

27 Likes

@Brobb

I am a Kiwi too. We are all now forever changed. Aroha to you and your whanau .

He aha te mea nui o te ao
He tangata, he tangata, he tangata

11 Likes

I’m from an island myself, so I thoroughly understand when something affects home, it affects everyone .

My heart truly goes out to you @Brobb and anyone who has been affected . I’ve refrained from watching the video. My mom said it looks like those Games I played ( COD) …but this is no game .
That link is pretty helpful as well .

11 Likes

Thank you all for your thoughts. I think my state of mind would benefit from a few days in the real world.

I hate that I think this is right.

13 Likes

@Brobb I can only imagine how you and your family are processing this tragedy from the other side of the world. It’s ironic it takes a tragedy to refocus us on what is really important.
Nga mihi nui

7 Likes

10 Likes

@Brobb, thanks for sharing that, we’ve also donated.
I live in Gizzy, and the feeling is that the whole of NZ are lost for words. Like i am now!
Its gana take us awhile to come to grips with what has happened but we are all sharing the love, not only for Christchurch but all New Zealanders

9 Likes

I am still bothered by what happened to New Zealand. I am Muslim but that is not the only reason why my heart breaks for the people that suffered it’s also because evil is evil and so hard to comprehend how anyone can just blindly kill innocent people. I want people to know even when it’s Christians or anyone that has been killed by hate it breaks my heart no matter what religion you believe in. Killing innocent people is evil regardless of those people beliefs or race. And one last thing I want people to know is most Muslims like me do not condone any type of terrorism and we believe those who kill innocents in the name of Islam are not Muslims as it is a sin to kill innocents and I don’t care how they try justify it, it goes against what majority of Muslims believe in. This vicious cycle needs to stop.

12 Likes

It doesn’t matter where you live; these radicalizers will get to you sometime. They have cowardly targeted religious places where people are vulnerable and think they are safe because deviant rebels don’t even respect Houses if Worship. Well now we all knew they respect only their own outlandish laws… i pray that one day all religions may Worship in peace.

Rowan

[edited for clarity]

1 Like

@Brobb I am so sorry for the pain you are feeling. I watch the world news and the hate and killings that go on all around the world makes me sad. It’s not hard to be kind. My prayer is that more and more people become aware of this, my alliance has helped me through many things in my life they are my friends and they are all over the world some in New Zealand. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Blessings to you. Blessings to the world! May it know love instead of hate!!!

5 Likes

Brobb there are no words expressive enough to tell you that even though we’re not in NZ, we’re unified with Christchurch against hate and death and stupidity and everything this shooter stood for…that we join hands with you for life and peace and beauty, and reject his message.

Waiting for your return

Hugs :disappointed_relieved:

11 Likes

@Brobb I don’t have fine words of solace to offer, just shared sadness. I will keep you and your countrymen in my heart and in my thoughts, and will look forward to your return.

7 Likes