New Heros of Color and Representation of Women and Men

if anyone wants to start a new forum i think i would apply lol this whole off topic flagging of only a majority but ignoring a minority is getting old

1 Like

@Kerridoc where was your off topic flag with your teammate?

couple off topic remarks in that thread by you and him. where were the flags? riddle me that

1 Like

That would be no. Again. (I’m not 7DD). :slight_smile:

And since your post is off-topic, Rigs, I will flag. :wink:

i figured as much. but I’m sure he has already read it and has no response. thanks

OP: SG should change heroes (examples given)…reply?

1 Like

The OP is tearing down a strawman of his own making.

The first well-known role-playing game is Dungeons & Dragons, which contain many fictional characters based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s ‘The Lord of the Rings.’

To date, there has been no serious criticism of D&D’s lack of diversity in its character creation.

SG has developed E&P heroes and monsters based on various mythologies & fables, and will continue to do so without prejudice.

Feel free to submit your own list of potential E&P heroes & monsters.

Happy Halloween :hot_face:

6 Likes

There’s no question that white heroes appear in the game more frequently than other ethnicities, and female heroes are sexualised much more than male characters. If you think this is okay then you are welcome to your opinion. I don’t think it’s okay.

I also think that @Kerridoc is right - we have some evidence that the devs are aware of this problem, as new heroes seem to be adding a little balance. There’s a long way to go.

Surely there are players who would prefer to play games predominantly populated by rugged white men and scantily clad white women. My suspicion is that many will be white men themselves, though perhaps more ragged than rugged. The game has a more diverse player base than this, I hope.

A wealth of global culture is available to be hijacked for character creation purposes. The less white and male future heroes are, the better.

9 Likes

thanks brobb so maybe we’ll get to read these threads daily instead of weekly

I’m surprised/pleased so many skin colors are included (that means blue, green, grey, not to mention the “normal” ones).

What bothers me is when SG includes a new character or group of characters from another ethnic fable, rather than being applauded for their inclusion, they are jumped on for racism (wait, what?).

If we want more “people of color” surely we can be supportive when they are included, and maybe even suggest heroes of various cultures for inclusion? Rather than point out things like The Monkey King (Wu Kong) is a yellow hero and hiss “racism!”

14 Likes

I honestly don’t play this game because of characters ethnicities. Honestly not sure why it’s a problem for anyone. The real issue I have in life is people’s pursuit to see race, gender, ethnicity etc in everything rather than just enjoying it for what it is.

Why does there always have to be a witch hunt? Why does there always have to be a motive? Why can’t it just be a damn game and enjoyed for it? Why are people always looking for trouble when it isn’t there?

6 Likes

I guess it is most of all a stereotype of fantasy games.
Fantasy games = Middle ages style (knight, wizards, dragons and such) = white caucasian guys.
In this game same as other fantasy games.

I don’t really think is intentional, and as @Kerridoc said they surely tried to change this trend.

But most of all… why you have to make a phone game a social issue?
It’s a game!

4 Likes

nice one Rootin Tootin Rook

Fair point, although I think it’s also fair to expect a bit of care to be taken when cultural appropriation is going on. It would be very easy for SG to create Kali, destroyer of worlds, a 5* blue hero, to hypersexualise her à la Zeline, and thus to offend even those of us who think that religion is silly.

3 Likes

I don’t understand it either too.

1 Like

Spoken like someone who doesn’t see any trouble. But again: white characters are much more common than any other ethnicity, and females are commonly highly sexualised. Is this really not troubling to you?

2 Likes

Truthfully I did not hear the term “cultural appropriation” before this year. Based on what I’ve heard, I think it may be waved around too much (though I liked your example.)

Again…I think a lot of this is sound and noise signifying nothing. As for hyper-sexualization, I don’t play other games because of it. I play this one. There were two recent heroes that overdid it (koff Zeline and Natalya) followed by the completely clothed Alasie, down to her mittens.

9 Likes

i agree. only when op is blind and bias so much they don’t see they already have their characters. maybe that is the reason many of the heroes don’t have a backstory description. well played SGG

1 Like

You know this game is created in Finland, right?

There’s not much ethnodiversity there.

What would your fantasy RPG look like?

2 Likes

might i suggest a genderless rainbow blob like ditto in pokemon

2 Likes

wth is going on here?

I agree with someone who said 50 post before that should be closed… caused only ruckkus… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like