New expansion of stronghold... Sampo Bounces

I have found the Sampo!
Anyone else?

4 Likes

Yes - but what is it?

1 Like

In Finnish mythology, the Sampo is a magical device or object described in many different ways that was constructed by the blacksmith Ilmarinen and that brought riches and good fortune to its holder.

Interesting.

I found it too… I was tapping it hoping that I could brake it/open it and maybe it’s an easter egg that gives that one EHT that is missing in epic difficulty of the quest. But no… no fun.

4 Likes

I thought they were looking for shampoo, since some of kale heroes got pretty long hair and nice beards

4 Likes

And if you ever wondered why the oceans are salty, go read up on the Kalevala. Apparently, the sampo is behind it.

Also, the Kalevala was one of the many inspirations behind the Lord of the Rings and related works. To start with, compare the story of Túrin Turambar to Kullervo. Or the One Ring to the Sampo. Or Gandalf and Tom Bombadil to Väinämöinen. They aren’t exactly the same, but clearly the Kalevala influenced Tolkien and Kalevala elements are present in LoTR.

4 Likes

Here’s an article about Tolkien and Kalevala

2 Likes

2 Likes

Well damn. And here I thought it was because they were jealous of lakes and rivers.

I wrote it elsewhere too. I need Sampo to finally pull some decent 5*

MST3K did a film that focused on this… https://mst3k.fandom.com/wiki/MST3K_422_-_The_Day_the_Earth_Froze

1 Like

A wonderful addition to the game. I hope they employed someone specifically to add it in.

1 Like

I guess this is it?

5 Likes

Yup that’s it

2 Likes

I just noticed this area in my kingdom…with some strange item in the foliage. Is this the pathway to expansion?
Screenshot_20220620-202337_Empires

2 Likes

You found the item introduced in the Seasonal league. Neat. Forget what they called it.

1 Like

Sampo. 20 Sampo. Poke it. Bounces.

1 Like

20 characters of gratitude

1 Like

2 Likes

Found it.

And like all the other doohickeys, all it seems to do is bounce when poked.

Those things are probably going to be a hidden “Easter Egg” 5+ years from now…