Nerfing Telluria (Mar 2020 HOTM) ---> POLL IN POST #2; [Staff Comment Post #1445 & #4422]

I did have a think about that too but I think she could be beaten with something like Marj - bt - Scarlett - Elena - Rigard with emblems <10

3 Likes

Also @Rigs in beta be like

f6fa73fee469a67b919a99cbeeae2a58

:laughing:

8 Likes
  1. You need C.Rigard (easily obtainable) or Rigard
  2. You need 2 Marjanas, BT and Gormek (TC20 obtainable)

I think this team can beat Telluria 60% times (and 80% times without Vela).

I’m still experimenting with different setups to beat her, but not demanding she be nerfed. If I don’t succeed at something, I keep trying different tactics until I can.

When I first started seeing Guin tanks, I struggled. I went hunting Guin tanks with different combos until I could beat her pretty regularly.
Then GM came along, and I struggled with him at first. I did the same thing. I practiced against GM until I could beat him consistently.
Then Aegir showed up. I had to switch tactics again.
Then Kunchen came along. Same thing.
Then Ursena came along, and my tactics from Kunchen weren’t quite as effective on her. So I changed tactics and practiced.
Now Telly is the shiny new toy, and I’m getting better at beating her (and her obnoxious flanks, GM and Vela).
Eventually there will be another powerful new tank, and you know what? I’ll learn how to beat that one too.

8 Likes

Every hero can be beaten given a good enough board.

The real issue with tell is that for any sort of consistancy in beating her you need these “hard to get” counters. Mitsuko, Grazul, Zim are all excellent choices but not heroes that can be realistically obtained if you don’t spend or if you only recently started playing.

The problem is in the consistancy. I can beat her with your common red heroes but with vela in the mix there is no coming back from a bad or mediocre board against these teams. You are turning a game which I believe does have a lot of tactical decision space into nothing more than a coin toss.

It isn’t because you can beat something with a good board and that it “can be beaten” that it isn’t Op and could do with some fixing. No matter what level you are playing you will win with great boards and lose with terrible ones but everything in between comes down to board manipulation and team composition. That is where this game becomes more than just RNG and where I think all the fun is to be had. There is no fun in getting an on color diamon under the tank in turn 1 just like there is no fun in getting no matches.

Telluria in her current state is too strong because if you want to beat her with your everyday red heroes you are relying entirely on luck. there is no leeway, you need a great board, anything worse and you will lose. basically a glorified roll of the dice. Rolla 6 and you win, anything else and you lose. This kind of stuff gets very old very quickly. This isn’t a huge issue when the combination is one which is hard to assemble like your Ursena, Guin, BK etc tanks. You won’t see them often enough for it to become tedious. Right now we are talking about consecutive HOTM’s. It is too easy to assemble this kind of defence.

So I do think she needs to be nerfed. Too many people will have her and given her current strength there will be too many tell tanks in the diamond arena by the time the more casual players max her out. You will end up fighting very similar teams over and over and each of those is nothing more than a colorful roll of the dice.

I have maxed my Vela and will max Telluria by the end of the month so if shen stays as in thats fine. I just think that in the greater scheme of things the current Vela/Telluria synergy is bad for the game, regardless of what is best for my own roster.

Edit : For the record, My ideal sollution here would be to keep her as she is right now but release a 4* red counter. A hero that is obtainable and make her less of a dice roll. Only issue is that there is no such thjing as a 4* HOTM so chances of that happening are slim.

3 Likes

I tried several combos from mono to rainbow, a bunch of counters, much heal, 4 cleansers and it seems that the game does not want me to win against Telly whenever she cast.

Either she dies before her cast or I lose, even if Grazzy will prevent the mana slowing. I surrender to her.

But why you want to nerf Telluria? Let’s introduce more counters to it!

1. Maybe an hero (even a s3 4*) with special skill like “Substantial burn: does 302 burn damage during 3 turns on target and nearby enemies. Target and nearby enemies cannot use Ice special skills for 3 turns. Mana speed: Very Fast”
  2. Grazul-like HOTM again)

Love it! 20handsoffClarissaRigs @Rigs

3 Likes

So you’re saying you shouldn’t have to need 2 hotm to beat Telluria? Like you don’t need Seshat (hotm) and Kage (rarer s2) to fare better vs Guin?

Can you beat all Guin tanks with great supports, troops, and emblems 4 times in a war?

2 Likes

I’ve just checked out special skills of S3 heroes and assembled this team. All 4*.

I’m not gonna have time to level and emblem up these guys to test but I believe this formation has great potential.

They totally didn’t go far enough with Telluria. She’s way under powered. In addition to her current special, please buff Telluria with the following

1. blind all enemies
  2. 20% mana cut on all enemies
  3. 400 DoT over 4 turns
  4. defense buff all allies
  5. attack buff all allies

Sounds about right. Did I miss anything???

#sarcasm

4 Likes

And… very fast!!! lol

3 Likes

I think we’re obsessed with her special, but it seems whether she casts or not is not the determining factor, but the support behind her. In fact, what she does actually is buying time for her allies (especially Vela, who you can counter by NOT using red), exactly the same as Guin before.

This formation gives you all immunity and special and buff block you need to survive and overcome her first strike, then Wu Kong steps in.

Respectfully disagree, I believe if you are not first to the punch against Telluria, then it is an uphill battle, much like Guin used to be. Knock her out and the rest fall like dominoes, especially if you bring red against Telluria, to include Mitsuko, then Vela just kills herself. Here is an isolation video of Mitsuko killing both Vela and Finley, which have become a copy cat go-to defense.

3 Likes

This is truly a great debate. I hope everyone cab appreciate the great discussion on this highly disputed Hero. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again now. I love this game and I’m not asking for any changes. I just think Telluria is way more powerful than almost every other in the game. Hence the reason she’s the tank for all the top teams now. Compare her to JF last month. Compare her to any Season 1 or Season 2 Hero. She’s a beast. Let’s agree on that.

3 Likes

I know, but it is high risk considering Vela. I don’t have a problem defeating her in raids, but the heroes I use are extremely rare, which is the problem I kinda try to focus on here.

I’ll put it this way. I’m trying to come up with a formation to defeat her without Grazul and without using red mono. Something you can make universal. I actually stack against Blue instead of Tellie. :smiley:

3 Likes

In total agreement. I was appalled when I saw all of her abilities the first time she was announced in February and assumed she would be corrected once beta testing of her was done, but no, and ironically I was calling for a Nature Paladin as it was the one hole in the game left to be filled. I only started playing this game 6 months ago but I read a lot of posts from 2018 from people who said they were going to stop playing because of this very reason, that with every HotM the game gets further and further out of balance, and I am forced to agree with them now. The argument from SGGs perspective is to make $ by releasing exclusive heroes, but when those heroes begin to eclipse their mundane counterparts who are theoretically supposed to be of equal level, then all SGG is doing is shooting themselves in the foot as more and more players get fed up and leave.

1 Like

Feel free to open a ridiculous
“Telly needs a Buff” thread. :wink:

You missed

• health boost for all
  • everything undispellable
  • mana generation boost
  • resists everything
  • ability to withstand tile dmg
  • 4 turn dodging specials
  • reflect fire

Will be a usual HotM 2025 :partying_face:

5 Likes

I still maintain the stance that Telluria needs a nerf.

2 Likes