My Verdict on Thorne - Totally Worth It!

I recently bit and maxed him, swapped him in and Kunchen 3/70 out, and my D is now Zim/ Kage/Thorne/Kingston/ Inari. Granted, he’s sitting right in the middle of big hitters, but wow! I’m holding 2400 cups, when up until my max cup count was 2300. I’m on board with the Thorne love

3 Likes

My own update from earlier in this thread:

I ascended Thorne first, he’s at 4-80 (no emblems) and has been whomping Red enemies in raids when combined with Grimm+18 and Frida+7.

I ended up ascending Magni second, and he’s not maxed yet, he’s at 4-68 right now. I used all my scopes on him, so I’m currently sitting at zero scopes.

Yup, zero scopes, so of course… I got Vela this morning! :wink:

No regrets on ascending Thorne first. When I raid, I always do a 3-2 stack and switch it up depending on what color I’m attacking. Against a Red tank, I will always bring Frida+Grimm+Thorne, and if I get 10 blue tiles, it clears a whole side of the board, leaving me plenty of room to ghost tiles.

I have been taking Magni in his place in certain situations - in particular against someone like Black Knight, to have higher tile damage and more focused single-target damage to try to knock him out before he fires.

Neither Thorne nor Magni live in my defense, though. My current raid def is Lianna-Kunchen-Frida-Hatter-Joon, and it keeps me in Diamond.

Last but not least… after I leveled up Thorne, I did end up getting Richard from TC20 and he’s still sitting at 1-1, I have no plans to level him. Especially now that Vela came along.

Good gaming!

3 Likes

Put just like poker, you plan the hand you are felt and they to make the best of it. the only way to make the heavy hitter better is to make wise choice with emblems

Well, I just pulled Thorne so now I will see how it goes. I’ll be maxing Isarnia first though (she’s 3-70). With Ariel and Richard already maxed that would make him 4th.

Unless I finally pull a Magni :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok so Thorne was my 1st 5* about 3 years ago
… so I know everything about him… at first he was a cotton headed niny muggings… but then he got a buff… and while I would never… and I mean never take him anywhere without frida he is now a serious threat… I have a second one at .70 and when I fire Frida then 2x Thorne… believe me there isn’t much left on the board… but I now have mangi getting lvl up… so mr .70 will get benched… long story short if you have help like a defense down or attack up he is solid… if he stands alone well you gonna die…as far as emblem go I gave em all to queen so I have no input on that but sertenly would make him a bit more versatile

1 Like

Very true. That is why I did not ascend Thorne until I acquired another full set of telescopes and warm capes, just in case if I got lucky and pulled a better hero. And yes, ascending Thorne was a choice I made after considerable deliberation so I will not regret it. Plus, Thorne’s been serving me really well. I am only happy that I made that decision.

I am almost at another 2,600 gems. I will do a 10x pull in the next event, hoping for Arthur.

I did my first 10 pull long ago in Avalon and got nothing not even a 4. Honestly the odds are better in atlatis if you are saving gems. Plus if you get 3 or 4s they will likely be s2 instead of classics.

1 Like

I agree, Thorne’s not head of his class, but he’s also very underappreciated. At +12 and he’s a serviceable diamond tank. Don’t expect wonders, but, with the right flanks, he’ll keep you around 2500, no trouble at all.

2 Likes

If his costume would add maybe 80% elemental tile damage resistance against green, he’ll become a sturdy tank option.

3 Likes

That is what I am debating. I am at 2,600 gems now. I could do a 10x pull during Avalon; or wait for another month or two to gather 3,000 gems for Atlantis. I may need to do a coin toss lol.

Yes. I am really looking forward to seeing Thorne costume. I hope the developers listen to us and make Thorne stronger.

1 Like

Thorne hits hard and i will max him since i got 15 scopes and no other blue 5*. But i have richard maxed and emblemed, and lots of blues to max before thorne (sonya costume, sonya2, sonya2 costume, and gunnar costume). I have two tc20’s working full-time so i might find another 5* (magni!!!) on the way and delay ascending thorne

1 Like

It seems to me that most people’s real negative about him is that Richard is very similar, but with more utility.

2 Likes

Congrats on getting all these great costumes! I hope you get Magni soon!

I agree. Hopefully Thorne’s costume will give him more utility.

I am in the same situation! Before Thorne, when I barely fought my way into diamond, I got raided back to platinum every time I logged out.

But now, I am holding my place in diamond. Haven’t been raided out for about 3 weeks! And I even managed to finish the diamond raid mission. Cannot thank Thorne enough.

3 Likes

I might also add that I am holding my place in diamond with all season 1 heroes:

Caedmon +20
Vivica +10
Thorne +11
Marjana +10
Sartana +9

5 Likes

Look at muggy attack stat vs thorns. LOL. Granted muggy isn’t thorne on def but its funny for a 3 to hit that hard. And like someone said Richard is a better version of him and in blue there’s just so many great ones I am lucky to have all the classics except him. Plus a dupe magni . I am debating Richard over isarnia only becausebi need a decentpaladin with justice my only other 5* choice but with join and viv max I’m short darts.

His costume will bump his stats even in no costume . He is definetly the worst blue classic and worst avg speed classic. Possibly worst classic 5 though Quintus is close. Not that you can’t use him but someone has to be last. With his art you would think that sword would smash heroes. They need to have him hit 3 instead of splash damage. They bumped him and richard back in v20 too.

But when you have magni, isarnia, Alice , alasie, misandra, Frida and FINLEY plus even Grimm, Sonya, triton in same color its hard to be standout w avg mana and no secondary skill at all.

If he works for you though great. I just wouldn’t level him as 3.70 isn’t useful for him and scopes go to others like magni, Richard or isarnia who I thankfully have from tc20, though last 2 months were dry but Leonidas. Ughhh. 45 pulls each month with 1 legendary. Good thing prior months were way better above 7% drop rate.

1 Like

I have Thorne in my alt account, and he was my first blue 5*.

I Maxed him, and have never regret, even when Magni came in, since I had 10 scopes, and took little time to get the other two for the latter.

I am no fan of holding off AMs “for a better hero”.

Whatever gives you an edge and helps you move forward in the game (beat challenges, deal more damage to titans, win raids and wars) is a good investment, since it will actually help you to get more rewards, which obviously include those valuable AMs.

Yes I try to be careful who I give my mats to, but if it happens that I have two sets (or close to), it’s a no brainer to me.

Also, whenever top players say heo is “useless”, us mortals have to take it with a grain of salt.

4 Likes

You have been very lucky to have pulled so many great heroes. Congrats! I wish my luck was better.

I once had Thorne at 2.60 for a very long time. But after months of tc20 without another 5* blue, I finally decided to ascend Thorne all the way. Plus I had accumulated enough scopes and capes for two 5* at that point.

I only wish that the developers come up with a good costume for Thorne to make him on par with his blue 5* colleagues.