Musashi art is wrong!

Musashi was an actual historical Japanese figure. An incredible swordsman most famous for his two sword technique. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

This legendary prowess with two swords is what he is most remembered for and has spread in to other realms. He even has a gene named after him that relates to the two swords! It got is name because when this gene was mutated in fruit flies, they grew two sword-like bristles out of each follicle instead of the normal one.

However, the E&P hero art for Musashi shows him swinging one large sword with no other sword in sight! It’s not in his other hand, on a scabbard on his belt, or on his back!

I say - draw in another sword for Master Musashi - or at least put it into his costume should he ever get one!

2 Likes

Just be happy they didn’t picture him like this for added ad revenue

images

5 Likes

How can fiction be wrong?

Having read both the novels and the go rin no sho I can say I was more surprised in a pc game where he was the last boss where he was depicted with a single oar as his weapon. The maker of that game probably didn’t understand the translation of the final fight scene from the novels…

Your photo would be most welcome on this page @the100thmonkey if it isn’t already there

That’s Jun Misugi, he played for the Musashi I’ve known. No Samurai or fighter at all. :sweat_smile:

musashi

2 Likes

So the work of Eiji Yohikawa isn’t that bad after all.
Although Musashi was known for his prowess with two swords, he is merely using a wooden sword during his famous duel with Sasaki Kojiro.
And the E&P’s Musashi was nowhere as intense as Miyamoto Musashi.
Fiction will always be fiction?

1 Like

Shall we talk about Hänsel and Gretel and if they fit with the fairy tale? They were kids! And not axe/sword swinging adult fighters…so common!

2 Likes

But we can assume they grew up eventually…

3 Likes

A wooden sword he carved from an oar on the boat ride out to the island… no doubt to insult his purist opponent - if I remember correctly (it was well over 25 years ago I read it).

Wu Kong weapon is a long sword…
Sun Wu Kong weapon is a staff…

Their name and character might be based on historical/mythical figure, but they are only loosely based.

So there is nor right/wrong in this case, it’s up to the SG.

Did you know that Li Xiu is based on:
Li Xiu - Wikipedia ?

2 Likes

That was some way to show the world how good he was!
E&P was merely using the name with little relation to the originals. Just like the rest of the fiction characters in Hansel and Gretel, Rumpelstiltskin, John Little, Friar Tuck (from Robin Hood), Wu Kong etc…
Don’t take it too serious. After all, it’s just a game. And game should be enjoyed as it is.

1 Like

I have strayed off topic but I actually think that part of the novel was ment to be a show of mind play. He carved the oar as a meditative action to keep his mind off the possibility of dying in the duel with the most highly regarded samurai of his time while also using the wooden sword to show he has no respect to play mind games with his opponent - was symbolic of how he viewed strategy and tactics.

Back on topic if I was designing his special based on his writings it would be like jabbar wockys and would be called “injure the edges” which was a big part of his martial teachings

Awesome - thanks for the link. I love that the game draws on so many different cultures and legends for their characters. I wonder if Sci-Fi will be next.