🎅 Mother North: Santa's Challenge – Thoughts & Discussion (2019)

Santa’s Challenge Hero RETURNING: Mother North!

This is deprecated / duplicate topic, which is not getting updated with balance changes.

Please use the following topic to discuss Santa Claus

Hero Card

:bar_chart: Stats

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:leaves: Nature/Green Cleric Slow
:crossed_swords:
Attack
:shield:
Defense
:heart:
Health
605 819 1462

:dizzy: Special Skill: Super Porridge

• Recovers 30% health for all allies.
  • Each fallen ally has a 50% chance to get revived with 10% HP.
  • Summons an Elf Minion for each ally with 10% HP and 10% attack inherited from the caster.

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Mother North?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Mother North.

Based on preferences of Forum members expressed recently, please try to stick mainly to Mother North and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is she worth summoning for?

• Would you use her on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Would you give Mother North Cleric Emblems? Which Talent Grid path would you choose?

• What do you think of her special?

• What do you think of her character design?

• The theme of Santa’s Challenge heroes is Minion Summoners paired with hitting and negative effects (except Mother North, who pairs Minions with healing and reviving). What do you think of this sort of special skill?

:broken_heart: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

Or: How many summons are needed to get Mother North?

Special thanks to @Garanwyn for assistance on summoning odds and proofreading for this section.

It’s important to remember that Seasonal Event Heroes have extremely low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a Seasonal Event Hero.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 2.96% chance of summoning Mother North.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 26 times out of 100, you’ll get Mother North by pull 100 (26,000 gems)
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get Mother North by pull 1000 (260,000 gems)
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get Mother North by pull 1530 (397,800 gems)

Putting that in Perspective

• 74 out of every 100 people won’t get Mother North by the 100th pull
  • If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 740,000 of those players wouldn’t get Mother North
  • 5 out of every 100 people won’t get Mother North by the 1000th pull
  • If 1 Million players each summoned 1000 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get Mother North

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these two threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:star2: Epic Hero Tokens Can Be Used for Seasonal Summoning

The Seasonal Summons replaces the regular Epic Hero Summons.

Because of that, unlike Challenge Event Summons, the Summoning Portal for Seasonal Events allows using saved up Epic Hero Tokens that can otherwise normally only be used for Epic Hero Summons.

That makes Seasonal Events the only place you can currently use Epic Hero Tokens for a chance at non-Season 1 heroes.

Many people regard the Christmas heroes as the best Season Heroes, and therefore prefer to save their Epic Hero Tokens for December or early January during this Santa’s Challenge Event. For more discussion of this, please see: What is the best Seasonal Summons?

You’ll also have the same chance at the HOTM as usual when using Epic Hero Tokens.

Because Santa’s Challenge 2019 is expected to run from through all of December into the beginning of January, you should have an opportunity to Summon while either HOTM is available.

For information on the December and January HOTM, please see:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:bulb: Have an Insight on Mother North’s Game Mechanics?

Click for Info on Creating Player Guides

This thread is a great place to discuss anything and everything related to Mother North.

Once those discussions have yielded notable insights, I encourage others to make reference guides in Player Guides that synopsize specific questions and answers about Mother North.

Topics that are most appropriate for that are ones that players are likely to be searching for or wondering about in the future.

Creating a guide is a good way to make that information findable in the future without having to read through a ton of posts. You can make use of the Forum quote feature to avoid having to rewrite explanations that have already been well written.

Here’s an example of such a post: [GUIDE] How does the Queen of Hearts’ Taunt work with AoE specials, or specials affecting nearby enemies in addition to the target?

:ballot_box: Polls

Do you already have Mother North from a previous Santa’s Challenge?

• Yes, I have Mother North already from a past Santa’s Challenge
  • No, I tried to get Mother North previously, but didn’t succeed
  • No, I was playing during Santa’s Challenge last year, but didn’t try for Mother North
  • No, I wasn’t playing during the last Santa’s Challenge
0 voters

Do you plan to Summon for Mother North this Santa’s Challenge?

• Yes, I want to try to get Mother North this Santa’s Challenge
  • No, I already have Mother North, and don’t want to try for another
  • No, I’m not interested in Mother North, or don’t think it’s worth trying with the Summoning odds
0 voters

Overall, what do you think of Mother North’s usefulness?

• I think Mother North is one of the very best heroes
  • I think Mother North is above average
  • I think Mother North is very average
  • I think Mother North is below average
  • I think Mother North is one of the very worst heroes
0 voters

Be sure to share your detailed thoughts in comments below!

What do you think of Mother North’s design?

• Mother North is one of my MOST favorite hero designs
  • Mother North is one of my LEAST favorite hero designs
  • I’m indifferent to Mother North’s design, I don’t have strong feelings either way
0 voters

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

Main Thread for Santa’s Challenge 2019: 🎅 Santa's Challenge 2019: Teams, Strategy, FAQs, Discussion, and Links – Christmas Event

Older Threads Discussing Mother North

Other Recent Threads on Santa’s Challenge

3 Likes

Easily one of the most game changing heroes in the game. Can take Kage+Lianna hits and survive

Rally’s team back from defeat frequently on raids

Solid defender in wars

My favourite hero and the one I had to work the hardest to get. My final pull last Xmas after giving up hope. Nearly 300 pulls. She’s made my green team (North/Lianna/Lianna/Kingston/Eve) by far my strongest.)

Most people prefer Alby - but I have both and Lianna wins more lost causes because she’s soooo durable.

9 Likes

The heroes I want the most in this game, are 3… and all 3 green ones. Eve, MN and LotL. I will save all my EHT until 1-4 January. Who knows…

5 Likes

Every time I see her I have to think about the two mothers from @Olmor . :dizzy_face:

5 Likes

Hahaha, me too :rofl: And has LotL too. Probably he’s devastated this tournament :smile:

6 Likes

Yeah right, he has Loftl, too. He’s Like Gustav Gans.
Gustav

3 Likes

Probably one of the heroes in the game I have most wanted, and the reason why I’ve saved nearly all of my EHTs since the sand empire in the summer.

Often a pain when I go against her for raids, pulled hard last year and only got reindeer meat.

I wanted Alby (and Aegir) or MN so bad. Started last year 19th of December with playing, wanted her since then, didn’t get her.

I think her special is very useful and unique besides Alby. A must have :slight_smile:

Now I had 7 EHTs, my daughter made the last 4 pulls and got her :slight_smile: I’m so happy :slight_smile:
I’m not a fan of power leveling, but I’ll do it with her :rofl:

9 Likes

I got her and Santa in a single 10x pull last Christmas, but only managed to level her to 3.70 last month because I have Alberich maxed. Imo, Alby>MN because the mana gain is out of control, better than resurrecting a fallen hero.

4 Likes

I got her in a single pull last year and didn’t know what I had! I waited a while to level her, but man she is a game changer. She is the best offensive hero in the game in my opinion. I’ve won countless raids that were seemingly lost with her resurrect skill. Pull hard for her my friends, she’s worth it!

How many EHT u got? I will spend my 13 in January aswell… all hope for MN

13 right now, but I will double at least, until then. I get 6 every month only from challenge rewards.

3 Likes

Yes, I think of her as the poor mans Albie. I hate it when someone has Albie on defense, with MN it “yawn”.

2 Likes

I actually pulled her this time around!! Really wish I had gotten her last year or an alby but still happy to get her now. I’d have built a team around her if i had her last year now she kinda messes up the defence I’ve been building.
I’ll bring her up after Kingston maybe.

2 Likes

Alby is the one who broke my heart - determined to get him or Aegir when they were featured last in Atlantis I did around 100 pulls. Nothing gained apart from a lesson in RNG.

I can see how the mana gain and HOT from Alby outstacks MN but more than happy with the substitute version.

Except the artwork Mum is the better hero imo, since she does nothing, that can be dispelled.

Zombies of both have to be healed after their ressurection, so you’ll need another healer anyway.

Porridge - Porridge - Porridge :rofl:

2 Likes

I have both Alby and MN maxed and if you think MN is a poor mans Alby, I think youre just trying to be controversial. Both heroes are great but I have a much easier time taking Alby out on def than MN when im raiding. I use both pretty frequently. Alby I like better when Im attacking just slightly due to mana regen, but MN has helped me pull victory out of the mouth of defeat with her revives on plenty of occasions. Also my cup count stays steadier with MN in my def team over Alby in Diamond Ive noticed.

2 Likes

Yeah I think a lot of people are focusing on comparing their specials on defense, but the bottom line is that you’re going to be sad if either special goes off. Alby’s might be slightly better, but that’s offset by MN surviving to cast more often.

And another nuance people might overlook- If an attacker is going to prioritize killing Alby/MN early, even if they succeed they might have to waste another sniper attack on MN that could have been used on the rest of the team.

3 Likes

I never do that. I always prioritize the immediate danger. What good going for a harmless wing and let the snipers kill me? Besides, I have a reason for this. Alby’s resurrection skill sucks big time. MN’s is much better, but doesn’t have the mana and HP regeneration, so doesn’t bother me either…

I honestly cannot remember when was the last time when Alby resurrected more than 1 hero in my battles. Maybe last year… Look in this video (recorded for other reasons), how Alby fires twice and resurrects 0:

Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp6CbmOAHmg&t

I don’t really see the point of this, we already know exactly how often we should expect Alby to resurrect. This just shows your raids have been luckier than most vs. him, apparently. He will resurrect someone about 80% of the time if all allies are dead.

I don’t target MN and Alby as a rule, but I will often decide to if I have a very good board, wipe out the tank right away and am on track to win the raid fairly easily. In those spots, having Alby get lucky and resurrect most of the team is usually the only way the raid can really go wrong, so I’d rather not leave it up to chance.

3 Likes